• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some people still like snuggly walnut stocks and objective bells.

I still prefer hunting with bolt-action rifles(and shotguns) equipped with 3-9x38 to 50 objectives. Belled objectives are known for have a better ability to gather light, which is critical when hunting during low light situations(I'm not sure this is still true today with modern optics though).

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I am not a fan of the 5x and up magnification range scopes. The oculars are huge making bolt handle clearance and mounting problematic. There are also tradeoffs involved in achieving that range. 4x is the sweet spot IMO. E.g. 4x-16x

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Blasphemy,you're probably a fan of those .40 cal. plastic Austrian pistols too.

:D
    Tell that to the stock on my Weatherby after I rolled my 4x4 down the mountain last bear season!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Yeah - I missed the memo about this as I still shoot 3-9X on various rifles; although none [of those] are AR's.

I'd turn it around and say what's the point of 1-4x scopes if they cost and weigh more, yet are worse for transmission of light... Saving a little physical space and getting "CQB" magnifications? Sure, the 1-4s are a bit better for both eyes open at 5-25 yards, but the BAC still works with 3-9s on 3 or 4x at relatively close range. And for me, the AR that is tertiary to my pistol and red dotted AR for home defense has offset irons. I certainly don't consider myself a fuddy duddy, :D I just find the 3-9s the best solution right now, with the ability to shoot in poorer light from 15 yards out to 250-300 (personal comfort zone... usability is further...) with lower cost and weight on a time tested setup. YMMV.

Calico, I'm sorta with you... Every rifle, save one, I own or have used on a regular basis has had a 3-9 x 40 or 50. That goes from a pellet rifle to 556 AR all the way up to a .410 slug launcher. The one is a 300 BLK AR with a red dot, no magnifier. The only other setups I've even looked at were 4-12s or ACOGs in the 3 to 4 range.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Some people still like snuggly walnut stocks and objective bells.

I still prefer hunting with bolt-action rifles(and shotguns) equipped with 3-9x38 to 50 objectives. Belled objectives are known for have a better ability to gather light, which is critical when hunting during low light situations(I'm not sure this is still true today with modern optics though).

I like snuggly walnut stocks and objective bells. I guess I am an old soul who still believes in red and black checkered hunting attire made of wool. It all worked for my father, fathers father, etc........ I guess somewhere back in my lineage, my ancestors hunted with rocks. :D

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Until I have to worry about mutant deer attacking me in the stand, I don't see how a minimum 3x magnification would ever be a problem.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You are all behind the times! It's 3.5x10-40 ! Still, I have a crate full of antlers from back in the day. Mall ninja wanna be's that never were and never will be, watch out!:evilgrin3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom