• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hopefully a picture of my Enfields showed up. I have a No 5 by ROF Fazakerley, my most recent 1917 BSA MK III *, and P-14 Eddystone. All of these came from members here. Anyone else want rifles of the Great Wars? LE concrete close up.jpg

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Have a 1903 Springfield and garand of course. Also a rifle I don’t know much about and doesn’t seem to be a lot of info to be had an Ishapore.kinda looks like the top rifle in picture . Muzzle is different. Haven’t shot it . From what I read it is /was made in India , almost an Enfield clone . It’s my understanding they where made with same machinery as Enfield that the British left behind. True I don’t know . Numbers match on receiver , bolt and magazine which I found interesting . I believe / think it’s 7.62 / 308 . Put a dummy 308 in and it seemed like everything functioned and cycle correctly.i should have it checked out . Who? Seems a lot of people never heard of them. From what I’ve seen they are inexpensive surplus . Also thinking getting it refinished. Probably cost more than value of gun but my uncle would appreciate it looking down on me , believe he had acquired while in the navy , not sure .Anyway pretty cool looking rifle definitely different.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Lee Enfields were made at Ishapore in India before and after Independence in 1948. It is not a clone, it is a version of the Short Magazine Lee Enfield. Yours is an Ishapore 2A or a 2A1. You should avoid commercial .308 and stick to 7.62 NATO.

https://firearms.net.au/military/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=147

As for the Eddystone P14 in the top photo, it is not a Lee Enfield at all, but a modified Mauser. Lee Rifles and Mauser rifles are entirely different creatures.

Lee refers to James Paris Lee, a Scottish-Canadian-American arms designer who invented the box magazine and developed a series of rifles in the late 19th Century.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/biography-james-paris-lee/

Enfield is a place, not a rifle. Just as "Springfield" may refer to any musket or rifle made at Springfield Armory from the 1790s through the 1950s, "Enfield" refers to any musket or rifle, even the odd revolver, developed at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock near London.

Springfield:
    https://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory

Enfield:
    https://firearms.net.au/military/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=30

"Springfield! Enfield! Throw 'em in the corn field!" - Guns of the South

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Great read thank you Threeband . Mine does not look like the one in article. My muzzle has the front sight as the bottom rifle does,the barrel looks like the top rifle from the band to muzzle and mine has the center piece/ sight as the middle rifle. Frankenstein gun ? Missing wood ? Sporterized ? I wish I knew how to put up pictures. Ya ya ya it’s not that easy for me I’ve tried , don’t know how to shrink them .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You may have a bubba'd Ishy. Ishapore SMLEs typically have that squared front sight guard, and any SMLE should have handguards and stock extending all the way to the muzzle/ nosecap.

See if you can resize your photos with Photoshop or some other editing software.

By the way, before there were Lee Enfields, there were Lee Metfords. Lee designed the rifle, and Metford designed the rifling system. The Metford rifling eroded quickly when the new smokeless Cordite was used, so a new rifling system developed at Enfield RSAF was introduced.
    The Lee Metfords and original Lee Enfields had longer barrels, and are known as Long Lees. The Short Lees were introduced around 1904, I think.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    As I recall some companies were making "Jungle Carbine" style rifles from 2A1s during the mid 1990s or into the early 2000 to 2010 era. Doing a quick search it looks like Navy Arms was one of them and I think I saw others as well. Collectors complain about these. Also have heard of these as "tanker" models. Get it head-spaced and look over the barrel if you really want to shoot it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As I recall some companies were making "Jungle Carbine" style rifles from 2A1s during the mid 1990s or into the early 2000 to 2010 era. Doing a quick search it looks like Navy Arms was one of them and I think I saw others as well. Collectors complain about these. Also have heard of these as "tanker" models. Get it head-spaced and look over the barrel if you really want to shoot it.

Navy Arms and Gibbs Rifle Company. They actually could be neat little guns and you didnt have to worry about a ding from collectors value. Had one in .303 but sold it off. They even made a chrome version for field work. When they were cheap they actually were a good truck gun.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ishapore production/conversion of the SMLE stretches back all the way to the India Pattern (IP) version which pre-dates WWI (click here to see a thread of mine on my 1915 dated IP pattern SMLE). You didn't see the other India specific features (square sight "ears" and the re-enforcing or "Ishy" screw) as a standard until after Indian Independence and British management of the government arsenals ended. So pre-1948 Ishapore produced SMLEs have all the same features of British built versions (re-enforcing screws first started showing up during WW2 but didn't become a std feature until after '48). The quality at Ishapore was very good on the whole.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Found this while scrounging parts online....https://www.prestigiouswoodstocks.com/pages/customer-builds

Currency calculator top right on page for USD looks like free shipping to North America.

I'm going to order a No 4 B grade fore-end later tonight and fit up to a rifle I have in the shop.

Stocks and barrels are hard to locate anymore.

I found some on e-bay a few years ago. A guy in England had a whole warehouse full of NOS stocks. I don't think I paid anywhere that amount for it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom