• ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Sounds like, from both reports, that the records were given over willingly

Breakdown of capitalism?

This isn't some new phenomenon that means the world is ending. Companies have curried favor with their government by voluntarily turning over business records pretty much since the start of civilization.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The initial report was that BOA turned over information on anyone who bought something in a store that sells guns and that they volunteered up the info. No court order.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bunch of Quislings.

Sure. Not sure if BoA has been willingly doing it, but cell companies, etc. have been doing it with protests for years. A lot of the rioters over the summer got caught after the fact because of dragnet cell and financial surveillance.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    ?? Do tell!
    So if they see ~10K in gun and ammo purchases on my CC,, then freeze my account,, does that mean I don't have to pay the bill???:lol2:

The bank will comply with an information request. The real question what will it take to freeze the account of the deplorable.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Is this happening? Is this how the Feds will find out who purchases guns and ammo? I know this is about the Capitol riots but will credit card banks give this info freely if ammo purchases are requested? Hard to pay cash for internet sales.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...investigating-Capitol-riot-report-claims.html

Here’s another link:

https://gunsinthenews.com/bank-of-america-sells-out-gun-ammo-purchasers-as-potential-criminals/

All you need to do is purchase visa/master charge gift cards and use them on the WWW and have it delivered to a PO box.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If given a valid court order they will provide the information. Absent that there's no legal obligation to comply. Of course the Feds could lean on them with threats of IRS audits and the like...but that would be illegal...and we know the government would never do anything like that. Just ask them...go ahead.

There could be a provision in the Patriot Act that might compel a bank or financial institution to cooperate...don't know that for a fact. The Patriot Act is full of little land mines that set off alarms to many concerned with privacy protections.

This has Democrats written all over it.

There would be no court order/subpoena/search warrant that should withstand legal scrutiny for such a wide net of people. Things like this are what the Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution to protect against, vast government overreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    All you need to do is purchase visa/master charge gift cards and use them on the WWW and have it delivered to a PO box.

If you live near a Giant Eagle or Weis, buy the gift cards there and get discounts on gasoline and groceries. That way the credit card companies have no way of knowing what you're buying other than at a grocery store.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I didn’t think they would deliver via USPS, especially to a post office box. All the ammo I’ve purchased online has had to be FedEx or UPS. Or is that just Maryland?

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    LOL, every bank in the US hands over finances with a subpoena. This is completely standard way to conducting an investigation and has been done like this for the last 100+ years. If you are shocked by this, you will be shocked by what the FBI can get with a search warrant. I hate to be a dick, but this post shows a lot of ignorance.

A friendly bank will hand over unorganized "Big Data" and force the feds to comb through. An unfriendly bank will have done the combing and compiling with their software and algorithms. Who do you think has a better system for organizing and comparing millions of transactions - a bank, or the feds?

They could have dragged their feet, asked for a more specific request (the Bill of Rights requires a warrant to state exactly what they are looking for, not a fishing trip), or buried them in paper (as in literal paper, not digital, if they could get away with it - that's an old tactic of big companies fighting class-action suits.)

BoA won't handle accounts from companies that are firearms-related, as I understand it.

Yep, and I get the feeling few banks would have made it easier for the Feds.

Maybe things have changed over the years but from my experience your bank and credit card company can't see what you purchase. They only see the merchant, price, date, transaction number ect. Some of the big box stores could be selling your data and purchase history but I doubt a LGS would be doing this.

The authorities can get a subpeona for your bank and cc transactions and then go to the merchant and look up your receipt with the transaction ID.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe things have changed over the years but from my experience your bank and credit card company can't see what you purchase. They only see the merchant, price, date, transaction number ect. Some of the big box stores could be selling your data and purchase history but I doubt a LGS would be doing this.

The authorities can get a subpeona for your bank and cc transactions and then go to the merchant and look up your receipt with the transaction ID.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That is correct.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

If you live near a Giant Eagle or Weis, buy the gift cards there and get discounts on gasoline and groceries. That way the credit card companies have no way of knowing what you're buying other than at a grocery store.

Mexican Bob's idea would help balance the fees Visa charges. I'm sure Mastercard has similar fees.

Gift card values from $10.00 to $74.99 have a $2.95 fee.
    Gift card values from $75.00 to $149.99 have a $3.95 fee.
    Gift card values from $150 to $249.99 have a $4.95 fee.
    Gift card values from $250.00 to $349.99 have a $5.95 fee.
    Gift card values from $350.00 to $500.00 have a $6.95 fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom