• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yep, I am familiar with her work, but as a practical matter the Constitution means whatever five Justices say it means. Given demographic trends, my hope is that Trump appointments can, and will, fortify the Second Amendment for at least a few decades.

Regards
    Jack

I was hoping for a stronger word than "hope". :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The problem is the level of “unhingedness” of the left. If they regain power in 2020, I fully expect them to pack the court. Our only hope, IMO, is for the conservatives to hand them a really crushing defeat, otherwise they will learn absolutely nothing.

There is a calculated thing about the left, not only do they get unhinged - they move the goal posts while they are doing in.

Pre-Heller = 2A applies to the state militias
    Post-Heller = 2A applies only to the federal government
    Post-McDonald = 2A applies only in the home
    Pre-Caetano = 2A only applies to muskets, not modern less than lethal devices

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The problem is the level of “unhingedness” of the left. If they regain power in 2020, I fully expect them to pack the court. Our only hope, IMO, is for the conservatives to hand them a really crushing defeat, otherwise they will learn absolutely nothing.

I'm not afraid of them packing the court in 2020, I'm afraid of them packing the court in 2024 - but by then Trump will have filled so many Federal Circuit Judgeships, it will be hard for the libs to get something to their packed bench.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    That already happened in 2016. They not only didn't learn anything, they unlearned a bunch of things.

They don’t see it that way though. They always go back to having won the popular vote so they just feel cheated. They didn’t learn they need to moderate their hysteria, they only learned Orange Man Bad and they need to cheat harder this time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They don’t see it that way though. They always go back to having won the popular vote so they just feel cheated. They didn’t learn they need to moderate their hysteria, they only learned Orange Man Bad and they need to cheat harder this time.

I don’t see Dems with voter suppression laws and winning the popular vote and losing the electoral vote doesn’t smack of cheating to me...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Laws that prevent us from verifying who is voting ARE voter suppression laws.

That...doesn’t suppressor voting. It might enable fraudulent voting more easily, but studies and examples don’t show wide spread voter fraud. Heck, Hogan’s commission of Maryland voter fraud found a literal handful of examples of “bad” votes and almost all were cock-ups were the person accidentally voted in the wrong district. I think it found one instance of actual intentional fraud that impacted a couple of votes.

But it sure as heck turns away thousands of voters when you pass stringent voter ID laws or requirements like being registered a certain amount in advance, but also purge voter rolls every couple of years if you haven’t voted in the most recent election. Tends to be poorer people who can’t then get everything fixed in time to be allowed to vote.

If there was actual verifiable evidence of mass fraud I’d agree whole heartedly on voter ID laws. But there ain’t. There is lots of evidence voter ID laws disadvantage poor people from being able to vote. On the balance of thousands of poor people can’t vote, or we stop a handful of fraudulent votes I am on preserving those thousands (likely hundreds of thousands) of poor people’s right to vote.

Just like I am against restricting the right to bear arms by putting financial barriers in place.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If it is OK to make people jump through hoops at a high cost and show an ID to qualify for the privilege of purchasing a handgun, and make people get a "Real ID" to be able to walk into a government building, then showing an ID to vote is not to great a burden.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If it is OK to make people jump through hoops at a high cost and show an ID to qualify for the privilege of purchasing a handgun, and make people get a "Real ID" to be able to walk into a government building, then showing an ID to vote is not to great a burden.

The ID to purchase a firearm can't be any government issued ID either.

It must have a photograph, address, date of birth, and signature.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    That...doesn’t suppressor voting. It might enable fraudulent voting more easily, but studies and examples don’t show wide spread voter fraud. Heck, Hogan’s commission of Maryland voter fraud found a literal handful of examples of “bad” votes and almost all were cock-ups were the person accidentally voted in the wrong district. I think it found one instance of actual intentional fraud that impacted a couple of votes.

But it sure as heck turns away thousands of voters when you pass stringent voter ID laws or requirements like being registered a certain amount in advance, but also purge voter rolls every couple of years if you haven’t voted in the most recent election. Tends to be poorer people who can’t then get everything fixed in time to be allowed to vote.

If there was actual verifiable evidence of mass fraud I’d agree whole heartedly on voter ID laws. But there ain’t. There is lots of evidence voter ID laws disadvantage poor people from being able to vote. On the balance of thousands of poor people can’t vote, or we stop a handful of fraudulent votes I am on preserving those thousands (likely hundreds of thousands) of poor people’s right to vote.

Just like I am against restricting the right to bear arms by putting financial barriers in place.

I strongly disagree.

Turns away Thousands? Where does that number come from??

VA "accidentally" caught over 1 Thousand non-citizens who successfully registered to vote. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/17/no-voter-fraud-isnt-myth-10-cases-where-its-all-to/

Most elections are decided by more votes than that but, no one is really looking at these cases either.

The Department of Labor is there in part to help people find jobs. Why not identify the tiny number (probably less than 1,000 in Virginia) of people w/o DLs and help them get a photo ID of some sort. Clearly photo ID is all but required to receive social services and participate in society.

Photo ID is required for a lot more than driving or purchasing firearms. Things that even very poor people need to do.

Purchase Internet Service
    Hotel/Motel rooms
    Open a bank account
    Cash a check
    Get a job
    Buy Alcohol or Cigarettes
    Apply for Food Stamps
    Welfare
    Rent an apartment
    Fly
    Get Married
    Adopt a pet
    Buy a cell phone
    Pick up a prescription
    Buy certain cold medicine

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I dont expect any decision until the long conference of Sept. First, on Aug 5th (maybe sooner) we will get "merits" brief filled with arrogance and mootness. Then Clement has a chance to respond. Normally I'd bet that the case is mooted, however, given NYC penchant for arrogance and screw ups, there is a good chance that NYC shoot themselves in the face somehow.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No doubt a bunch of supremes are looking over all the 2A cases on hold, awaiting cert, and in the pipeline picking which one to select that will best make the point or points they were going to make if this case is mooted. They took that case for a reason, to make a point, and if it is moot they still have a reason so the point will be made with another case.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Normally I'd bet that the case is mooted, however, given NYC penchant for arrogance and screw ups, there is a good chance that NYC shoot themselves in the face somehow.

Coumo had to. The SCOTUS forced NY's hand.

Sending the letter to get the case mooted before the bill was signed into law, was bad enough. If Cuomo would have let the 30 day "out of session veto rule" go into effect, NY would be as bad as NJ in Drake.
    A majority of the court may not be for defending/expanding 2A rights, but they don't appreciate lower courts pulling a fast one on them. NJ did it with Drake and as a result, I'd expect them to be very hesitant with any future slight of hand from lower courts/elected officials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom