• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I keep coming back to these scopes as my choice for my M&P15-22. Are either of these companies worth the money? I'm looking for somethign for the 100 yard mark, so 4x fixed what I'm looking for? 3-12?
    Thanks in advance...
    OH, if no better suggestions, I'm still stringly leaning towards the Nikon ProStaff for $150 if no better choices. :)

Thanks
    MAtt

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I can't speak about the Leapers, but if you buy the Barska don't even mount it, just deposit it in the trash can. My brother had one and it was total junk.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Matt, personally i would bump up alittle more money and get a leupold. maybe a veri X 1 in 2 X 7 on the web for 199.00

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    if the gun is just for plinking and fun, go with the leapers. i've got them on a few of my guns (they are great for letting friends and their kids shoot, cuz you won't be crying when they whack the scope putting the gun down!)
    For what they cost, i have no complaints.
    Other than that....glass is like anything else.....you get what you pay for!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have the Bug Buster on a 22, it's economically priced and economically manufactured. Make sure you read the specs before you buy one. I shoot 100 yards with it.

There is a rheostat that makes the mill dot reticle go from either green to red, or off which it remains black.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can take a .22 out to 400 yards with the right training and optics. 200 is very doeable without skill. I wouldnt go cheaper than a Nikon. The 15-22 has a medium contour and free floated barrel. They shoot very well if you do your part. Trigger Job wont hurt either.

Anything over 20X will show alot of mirage in warm weather.

The following scopes are junk IMO:
    Leapers
    NC Star
    Meuller

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You can take a .22 out to 400 yards with the right training and optics. 200 is very doeable without skill. I wouldnt go cheaper than a Nikon. The 15-22 has a medium contour and free floated barrel. They shoot very well if you do your part. Trigger Job wont hurt either.

Anything over 20X will show alot of mirage in warm weather.

The following scopes are junk IMO:
    Leapers
    NC Star
    Meuller

^This - Leaper's and NC Star, I've put both on an air-soft rifle and they still fell apart, of all things UTG held up better than those 2. Cheap optics, what do you expect?

Meuller - no experience with so no comment.

Spend the money on a Nikon and call it a wraps.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I have had a Leapers on my 10/22 for about a year,, I love it, if you ever want to check it out let me know,, I will let you shoot it before you buy one.

Tom

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    look at natchez.com

I have found they have good prices that let you get better quality for less cash. They even have reconditioned scopes

truglo scopes have been working out well for me and I get them for about $75

As for high power scopes at 100yrds, yes you need them. We are shooting 3/4 inch spinners and coke bottle caps at 100yrds. 18x power scopes let me see those tiny targets

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have several Barska scopes.( one came free on a muzzleloader the other was a $10 phone special) The one on my muzzloader has held up for abouf 5yrs and quite a few of the "magnum" loads that modern inlines are rated for. The other one has bounced between a shotgun and a 22 with no
    problems. The glass is not the greatest but they seem to be holding up decently. I have an NC star pistol scope on a 22 pistol also so far so good. Last year I ordered a too good to be true FM scope that so far has exeeded my every expectation. I can read a license plate at 450yds,the focus reading was within 6yds of my gps reading,the knobs all have a solid positive feel. I would be hard pressed to tell it from a nightforce.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have tried a lot of cheap optics and I am NOT in any way picky about optics, but I'd never put money into a Leapers or Barska scope of any kind.
    My current favorite cheap optic is manufactured by SunClear in china. I have 3 of their scopes marketed under the brand: Vector Optics. All 3 that I own are decent scopes, and worth the price I paid.

I have this scope on my Saiga 5.45, and think it would work very well on your 15-22:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Opti...ltDomain_0&hash=item1e5aa88a4f#ht_1487wt_1110

This one also might work well, though I don't have one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Opti...ltDomain_0&hash=item1e57cc1f44#ht_1594wt_1110

These are not Nikon quality, but they do just fine for me plinking around and have held up to my abuse perfectly. I shoot accurately at 300 yards with mil-surp ammo and the Vector 1-4x on my Saiga 5.45.

-Jim

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Are you looking for something .22 specific that you'll only use on this 15-22 and never take off or something with a little more versatility?

Ditto on the Nikon for quality at a fair price, you will pay north of $100 but the glass will be good enough so that you'll never dump it....that won't be the case for the NcStar or the Leapers. You'll always trust and have confidence in the Nikon (or I always have) as you would with a Leupold......but with cheap glass like the NcStar or the Leapers you'll always wonder if it was the glass, the gun, or you that missed the shot.

I don't have any Vectors but they seem to have a good rep around the net for their price point.

If you look around the net some of the Centerpoints being sold out of Wal-Mart are also getting some good reviews for the price point......but then I saw an article in F&S recently where they reviewed some of the budget scopes......Centerpoint (fair), Simmons (excellent), Tru-Glow (good), and Bushnell (very-good)....but to be honest I generally trust those magazine reviews just a little more than what's on the net...but this guy walked into Dick's, bought the four scopes for under $100 each (some were on sale) then tore 'em up. He tried reading a news paper at various ranges to test the glass, put each scope in the shower for an hour and in the freezer for two, spun the adjustments 20 clicks and back after every test then shot them to see if the point of impact changed, then drop them from tree stand hights, slammed 'em, banged 'em, etc....and finally shot them with two rounds of no.8 shot from a 12 ga at 20 yards. Pretty impressive.

Another option would be a BSA Sweet 22, see some reviews and prices here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=BSA+sweet+22&x=0&y=0

There are other reviews around the net at THR, youtube, etc.....

Were it me I might take a chance on the BSA Sweet 22 since it's only $40 or so at the entry level, would be dedicated .22 scope, has some good features, and the reviews are good even if you take them with a grain of salt..........or a Nikon.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    ^This - Leaper's and NC Star, I've put both on an air-soft rifle and they still fell apart, of all things UTG held up better than those 2.
    Leapers and UTG are the same company, FYI.

I'd also suggest looking at Primary Arms; their stuff is not going to set the world on fire, but it's also fairly priced, reliable[1], and well-supported.

[1] Caveat: my micro green reflex dot had to go back, but this was a known issue with the battery connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom