• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    As long as they are CONSIDERABLLY less than the Originals !

I currently own a C-93 rifle which is a clone of HK 93 and a FEG 9HP which is a clone of Browning Hi Power. Before I bought the C-93, I heard so many negative things about the rifle because of the Bolt Cap issues and Century Firearms poor quality control matters. However, I find the C-93 extremely reliable & accurate so far (around 1000 rounds). But since I never owned & shot the real HK 93, I really can’t make a valid comparison. In the case of FEG, I have owned the BHP and the verdict on the clone is somewhat disappointing because of its poor fit & finish and accuracy. But for 1/3 of the cost to the original, it is definitely worth it.

I don’t buy firearms for the purpose of investment, self defense, collection or wall display. I buy them for one thing only, for shooting pleasure. To person like me, clones offer shooting experience of the originals at a fraction of the cost . I plan on buying CETME & Galil clones in the near future. As a matter of fact, if the prices are right, I am opt for any clones as long as they are not a Hi Point Clone.

How about you members, any of you owned or planning on buying a clone of famouse firearm.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
      IMG_0140.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 382

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Closest to a clone I own is a NEF Pardner Pump Protector. Clone of the Remington 870. Takes all the same parts except barrel. Worth it to me as it was my 2nd gun and needed a cheap HD shotty. Works 100% and for $180 couldn't be beat.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Agreed its a matter of price difference, quality, and availability.

For example most of us will never get an MP5 so clones make sense

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    There are originals that are junk and there are clones of higher quality than even the good originals. Lumping all clones together is a waste of time, you have to take them maker by maker and period by period. For example, Pietta's reproduction Colts were pretty rough back in the 1980s and '90s, but since then the quality has gone up quite a bit. Euroarms made very good repro Colts back in the '70s, then the quality fell off. My first Armisport rifle musket was a horror, but I'm sorry I sold the last one, it was a gem.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    /\HA! star wars joke.....

i plan to buy a few clones, i like originals, but the bottom line like everyone else says is that a clone overs a good(better) balance of quality vs price for most of us

john

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I own an Stg-556, which is a clone of the Steyr AUG. There are those who believe the clone is actually superior to the real thing. Aside from the whole lack of selective fire capabilities.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are originals that are junk and there are clones of higher quality than even the good originals.
    Exactly. And defining what a clone is can be tricky, too. Is the GSG-5 really a clone of the MP5 just because they have a vaguely similar look? Is my Kareen MkII really a clone of the BHP - it has a beavertail, but the parts are otherwise identical? How about my double-stack 9mm 1911, or an AR-15 in .300AAC?

The historical problems with CAI guns haven't been from being clones, they've been from shoddy workmanship. These guys could have had all original parts and screwed the process up. It is heartening to hear that they're tightening things up finally, but they're going to have to work hard to win back the trust of the enthusiast community.

Anyways, the issue of "clone" is basically irrelevant, except for maybe long-term collectors value. My Galil SAR build has a better barrel, and arguably, a better receiver than a real imported Galil SAR. The parts are otherwise identical. Which gun would you rather have? I know which I chose...

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    i have an IAC Hawk 982 (870 clone) my buddy and I went to the range with my 982 and his 870 and mine was smoother right from the jump. love the ghost ring sights on it too

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It really all depends.

Is it a clone or an authorized copy made in a factory with oversight from the original maker? I'm usually fine with that set up if the price is right.

Sometimes you are better off, in my mind, to buy a used original though rather than the clone. Used Beretta's or Hi-Powers can often be had for about the same price as their clones and I would prefer the original.

In the case of the Hk's that you mentioned though the clones often make a lot of sense. I have the PTR 91 rifles and like them a lot for about 1/2 the price of a used Hk.

So, in the end, to me it's a case by case basis.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    only experience i had with a clone was a Cohaire CA94. What a POS! i waited 6 months to get this, and all it did was jam and FTE! But then again, i guess i was expecting too much out of it when compairing it to my baretta CX4 (wish i never sold it!). THe baretta was silky smooth carbine, the CA94 would have been cool if i had the patience. But when someone offered me more than i paid, i couldn't unload it fast enough!

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Do you consider semi-auto AKs clones or Manurhin PP and PPKs?

Shooting is an expensive hobby beyond the cost of the gun. Ammo and cleaning supplies need to replaced regularly. If you're happy with the gun you purchased, it's working well, and you have more money in your wallet, then I would say there's nothing wrong with a clone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom