• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    Gents:

Recently picked up a 1911 from an old friend. He seemed to think the pistol wasn't an original, as he was convinced it had "a Springfield frame". After doing some research, the frame has a Remington Rand serial number, and I think his confusion stemmed from the crossed cannons logo (the ordinance department rollmark common to all of them).

The parkerization seems to be uniform, serial number puts it as a 1943. The only marks are the crossed cannons, United States Property, serial number preceded by the proper NO., and "M1911 A1 U.S. ARMY". On the other side, it has the FJA and P rollmarks.

It's in mint shape, and everything I'm seeing shows that the markings indicate it is an original. Is it just me, or is this a $2500-$3000 example? Maybe I'm crazy

4ghCcpL

3Dls3o0

http://imgur.com/4ghCcpL

http://imgur.com/3Dls3o0

Trying to embed pictures, we will see if it works.

Jul 1, 2012
    Excellent condition RR 1911-A1's typically bring about $2k, maybe a little more, vice the $3k+ of a Colt.
    Anyway, it's tough to tell just from those 2 pics; the frame looks pretty rough like sandblasted, which would be typical of an arsenal refinish. The barrel should be blued and not park'd (can't tell from pics). The ordnance wheel on right side of frame was punched through the finish originally so you might be able to see bare metal if you look really close. If the feed ramp in the frame is parkerized, then it's been refinished. It should be bare metal (it may have darkened with "patina").

It does have the correct slide for the RR S/N so that's a start!

Attachments

• Feed ramp.JPG
      Feed ramp.JPG
      16.3 KB · Views: 373

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads