• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah, we're really delicate with our rifles when we dump them in barrels or slam into barriers during stages. BTW, most of my brakes double as flash suppressors, backup sights take a few minutes to install, and a lot of people use and recommend Geissele triggers for hard use carbines and 3-gun.

Yes, those plastic barrels are tough.

As for the rest, irons still need to be zeroed (will you have time for that?? How fast is the S hitting the fan?), I've never seen a combo brake/FH that works as well as a good dedicated FH, and I took Photoracers description of a "fast" trigger to be a light one, which are not typically recommended for combat purposes. Perhaps I misinterpreted him.

Enjoy your games!

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    Which to choose

This question posed a bit of a conundrum for me, which to choose.... hmmmm.

Attachments

• 20180703_185949.jpg
      20180703_185949.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 408

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Assuming a simple hypothetical where one has to leave home, can only carry one rifle and one pistol, and these would increase chances of survival (for obtaining food, for defense, and in resupply), I would take a inexpensive, scavenged mutt of an AR-15 that I built in a SOTAR class. It's the FDE rifle in the pics below. It has midlength gas, a Tubbs flatwire spring, and heavy buffer - and is very soft to shoot. Very accurate at 100 yards even with the (solar-rechargeable) red dot. I would also take a Glock 19.

Part of me wants to go with an 1892 lever action in 38 Special/357 Magnum (or a Ruger 77/357 bolt action) paired with an easy to conceal Kimber K6S revolver, so same ammo for both. This rifle might look less intimidating/make me less of a target of those fearing offensive threats.

I can also see the appeal of a lightweight 10/22 Takedown. Easy to bring a good amount of ammo.

Although I'm not anticipating an apocalyptic future in my lifetime, if I did, having suppressed guns would be nice.

2ab7d98e4357712b3a3443e0ca10e133.jpg
    IMG_20160314_134708~2.jpg
    63a1fc803b32f48eaf4e5d54084c60d9.jpg
    def352fe0b05c7283b9f50ff791471df.jpg

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Assuming a simple hypothetical where one has to leave home, can only carry one rifle and one pistol, and these would increase chances of survival (for obtaining food, for defense, and in resupply), I would take a inexpensive, scavenged mutt of an AR-15 that I built in a SOTAR class. It's the FDE rifle in the pics below. It has midlength gas, a Tubbs flatwire spring, and heavy buffer - and is very soft to shoot. Very accurate at 100 yards even with the (solar-rechargeable) red dot. I would also take a Glock 19.

Part of me wants to go with an 1892 lever action in 38 Special/357 Magnum (or a Ruger 77/357 bolt action) paired with an easy to conceal Kimber K6S revolver, so same ammo for both. This rifle might look less intimidating/make me less of a target of those fearing offensive threats.

I can also see the appeal of a lightweight 10/22 Takedown. Easy to bring a good amount of ammo.

Although I'm not anticipating an apocalyptic future in my lifetime, if I did, having suppressed guns would be nice.

2ab7d98e4357712b3a3443e0ca10e133.jpg
    View attachment 263611
    63a1fc803b32f48eaf4e5d54084c60d9.jpg
    def352fe0b05c7283b9f50ff791471df.jpg

Great thoughts! By the way, what is a SOTAR class?

Mar 6, 2019
    If it’s just me I’d grab my AR-15. I have enough ammo and magazines to last for a bit. Definitely long enough to find my next rifle. If it’s my family, I’m using a 6.5 CM, my wife gets the .22LR, and my son would use the AR. That brings up another shortfall. I need more slings and another holster... and a bigger collection of rifles.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    Yeah, we're really delicate with our rifles when we dump them in barrels or slam into barriers during stages. BTW, most of my brakes double as flash suppressors, backup sights take a few minutes to install, and a lot of people use and recommend Geissele triggers for hard use carbines and 3-gun.

Not exactly responding to the previous comment, but this just reminds me of one of my favorite things about the AR, its a workhorse, the AR is a magificent beast.

Think about it. Some people like to say ARs are finicky, some people act like their rifles are made of glass.

In reality though, look at military recruit training.

If you see a class of Marine recruits, their rifles are NOT gucci. They are well made, government contract from colt or FN, but they are factory bone stock. No upgrades. And they are USED. Not "lightly used". No they are the definition of old hand-me-downs.

They don't get babied. They get beaten like rented mules.

The life of a Marine recruit training rifle means:

The parade deck - inevitably being dropped and kicked by clumsy new recruits.

The field - being carried in the rain. Stacked in the dirt. Moisture? After a day of activity that sweaty recruit is sleeping with it in his bag with him.

The assault course - being dragged through mud and sand. Being used to clear wire obstacles. Being slammed and stabbed into bayonet training dummies (basically a telephone pole wrapped in old tires). Being made into improvised stretchers supporting people's full bodyweight.

Point is, those rifles take that kind of 3 month long beating, every cycle, only to be passed off the next class after, and the next after that

but those recruits take those exact same rifles out to the range and score hits out to 500 yards

Those rifles just keep on tickin

(I mean, again, the folks who invented these machines designed them to be battlefield worthy)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not exactly responding to the previous comment, but this just reminds me of one of my favorite things about the AR, its a workhorse, the AR is a magificent beast.

Think about it. Some people like to say ARs are finicky, some people act like their rifles are made of glass.

In reality though, look at military recruit training.

If you see a class of Marine recruits, their rifles are NOT gucci. They are well made, government contract from colt or FN, but they are factory bone stock. No upgrades. And they are USED. Not "lightly used". No they are the definition of old hand-me-downs.

They don't get babied. They get beaten like rented mules.

The life of a Marine recruit training rifle means:

The parade deck - inevitably being dropped and kicked by clumsy new recruits.

The field - being carried in the rain. Stacked in the dirt. Moisture? After a day of activity that sweaty recruit is sleeping with it in his bag with him.

The assault course - being dragged through mud and sand. Being used to clear wire obstacles. Being slammed and stabbed into bayonet training dummies (basically a telephone pole wrapped in old tires). Being made into improvised stretchers supporting people's full bodyweight.

Point is, those rifles take that kind of 3 month long beating, every cycle, only to be passed off the next class after, and the next after that

but those recruits take those exact same rifles out to the range and score hits out to 500 yards

Those rifles just keep on tickin

(I mean, again, the folks who invented these machines designed them to be battlefield worthy)

You probably will be hard pressed to find anyone who is as much of an AR fan as I.

Truth be told, Military issued AR's (M4's) are often put together a certain way, and are made from materials so they can endure some abuse. The Optics and Accessories are often very resistant to abuse.

Civilian AR's, and Accessories, it's not always the case. Especially in regards to HOW it's out together. Most people don't want to stake their castle nut or gas key because they have the "good enuf" mentality.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great thoughts! By the way, what is a SOTAR class?
    If my family was traveling with me (and if we're leaving the home, they definitely are), they would get the SOTARized Colts in that top pic. ;)

(Yes, even if you don't take the class, you can have your rifles brought up to spec. The 6920 HBPW in that pic actually needed minor work. The 6721, less so.)

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Has anyone said AK? I have an AK chambered in 223. Not sure if I would grab that or one of the ARs? Or my 10/22. Life is full of really tough decisions. Hopefully this will never be one of them.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Civilian AR's, and Accessories, it's not always the case. Especially in regards to HOW it's out together. Most people don't want to stake their castle nut or gas key because they have the "good enuf" mentality.

Very true...not all civilian AR brands are mil spec...you don't know whether the parts are close to spec or manufacturer seconds sold to companies that specialize in low buck rifles.

The reason why AR/M4 rifles and carbines from some companies are more expensive is because all the product quality control testing doesn't come cheap...those costs are passed along. For the most part you get what you pay for.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

I'd go so far as to say there's a loose dollar threshold (on off-the-shelf ARs). Below a certain amount (I'll go with $1000, ish, not counting optics) things just don't feel as solid. Perfectly shootable for someone just having some fun, which - let's face it - accounts for the wild majority of AR use. But when I look at one with "what if" in mind, man, those bargain ARs actually look scary to me now, just sitting there. All the more so having followed your example material for a while!

Exceptions, to be sure. Expensive junk, or great prices on something very well put together. But $500 does indeed feel like about half of a $1000 rifle in the hands, if we're talking about ready-to-shoot from the LGS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom