• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I'm in the Sterling/Reston area more or less and am a member at SEG and the NRA range and use both often but want something outdoors. I've tried 340 Defense and while I like it OK there's no steel at 100 yards and it's an hour away for me.

I have an acquaintance that uses the Isaac Walton League in Centerville sometimes but he won't recommend it because they are pretty restrictive (i.e. no bi-metal jacket ammo, no pistol targets closer than 25 yards, drawing from holsters prohibited, not friendly to CC or LE, etc...).

Anyone use the Isaac Walton League in Loudoun and can clue me in on the environment there, or recommend any place that I might be missing?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Loudoun IWL only allows paper targets. They have berms at 25, 50 & 100yds and you can pretty much shoot pistol point blank. Pretty empty most times i've been there. Stationary shooting only, don't think they have any issues with drawing handguns but not sure. Not aware of any issues with CC/LEO/whatever.

Peacemaker is another half hour/45 minutes or so past 340. They have a public range with steel at 200 and 300 and of course paper at 100 and closer. If you join, they have a bunch of bays up top where you can run around and shoot steel and paper with handgun. Past the bays they have a couple of 'lanes' where you can shoot out to 500, with steel sprinkled around. On at least some (if not most/all) of the weekends though those are being used for matches.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Fairfax Rod & Gun in Manassas is nice. They have five rifle ranges and two pistol ranges. There are no dedicated ROs since everyone is their own RO. It's rarely crowded. The pro shop at the clubhouse is decently priced as far as gun stores go and has a nice selection of reloading powder. I've been on the waitlist for a non voting membership since November and it generally takes two years to move through. They do allow members to shoot from holsters if they get certified to do so.

I have an acquaintance that uses the Isaac Walton League in Centerville sometimes but he won't recommend it because they are pretty restrictive (i.e. no bi-metal jacket ammo, no pistol targets closer than 25 yards, drawing from holsters prohibited, not friendly to CC or LE, etc...).

I visited there once with a friend who's a member. They didn't enforce the prohibition on bimetal jacketed ammo back then, but he told me they do so now. The ROs were quite restrictive and one of them even lifted my shirt when he noticed I had an empty holster (I left my carry gun in my truck).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Fairfax Rod & Gun in Manassas is nice. They have five rifle ranges and two pistol ranges. There are no dedicated ROs since everyone is their own RO. It's rarely crowded. The pro shop at the clubhouse is decently priced as far as gun stores go and has a nice selection of reloading powder. I've been on the waitlist for a non voting membership since November and it generally takes two years to move through. They do allow members to shoot from holsters if they get certified to do so.

Last I heard, it was $2000 to get in. Has that not changed?
    Nova sucks when it comes to ranges. I shoot here but it’s about an hour and a half or so from where you are.

https://www.covecampground.com/range.htm

They are almost done with the 700 yard range as well.

If you drive a sedan or something with low ground clearance, it's not a fun drive after you pay. Dinged up the bottom of my WRX driving up there in February.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Last I heard, it was $2000 to get in. Has that not changed?

That's about what you'd pay your first year as a nonvoting member. It's a $1.5k initiation fee and then $450 a year. For a voting membership, you have to buy out someone leaving at whatever they want to charge.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If you drive a sedan or something with low ground clearance, it's not a fun drive after you pay. Dinged up the bottom of my WRX driving up there in February.

I should’ve mentioned that. Thanks. I drive a 4Runner and sometimes forget how bad it could get driving up the mountain in a car.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    That's about what you'd pay your first year as a nonvoting member. It's a $1.5k initiation fee and then $450 a year. For a voting membership, you have to buy out someone leaving at whatever they want to charge.

Years ago I heard the full memberships were going for $10,000! Don’t know if it was true or not. Have no idea of the current pricing.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

That’s f’ing ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That’s f’ing ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what you get in the area, the price is not bad. I like to be finished shooting by 10-11AM at the latest, so being close is good. Unfortunately, I haven't found any ranges around here that allow shooting before 9AM.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't know of any in MD, WV, or VA that allow shooting before 9 AM. I know at least one in PA that does but its 3 hours away from me here in Martinsburg.
    Man those membership prices are like about the same as a Trump golf course. Yes the 2 clubs I belong to, Peacemaker NTC and Monocacy PC are both maxed out, although MPC has enough turnover that new people do get in yearly. And $65 + $65 the first year is still way cheaper than any other place I shoot.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know of any in MD, WV, or VA that allow shooting before 9 AM. I know at least one in PA that does but its 3 hours away from me here in Martinsburg.
    Man those membership prices are like about the same as a Trump golf course. Yes the 2 clubs I belong to, Peacemaker NTC and Monocacy PC are both maxed out, although MPC has enough turnover that new people do get in yearly. And $65 + $65 the first year is still way cheaper than any other place I shoot.

All I want is my own piece of property large enough so I can safely shoot anytime, anywhere.

FXRGC is about 20 minutes away from me on weekend mornings, so that alone is great. They're capped at 1k members total (half of each type) and people tell me it's never crowded.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    All I want is my own piece of property large enough so I can safely shoot anytime, anywhere.

FXRGC is about 20 minutes away from me on weekend mornings, so that alone is great. They're capped at 1k members total (half of each type) and people tell me it's never crowded.

We were capped too but the board studied the issue and realized just how many people NEVER came to the club but kept paying their dues so they raised the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom