Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles > AK Group Build
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 7th, 2019, 10:47 AM #41

IANAL but even if its pre 13 receiver, it can't transfer to you unless its an inheritance
AK Pistol to AK SBR is the only known path I believe.
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 11:34 AM #42

Plus people may be less willing to help nowadays due to the ATF guidance preventing non-FFL's from performing gunsmithing for others. It pretty much ended build parties.
JTH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 03:52 PM #43
I survived the rapture

I survived the rapture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
IANAL but even if its pre 13 receiver, it can't transfer to you unless its an inheritance
AK Pistol to AK SBR is the only known path I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH20 View Post
Plus people may be less willing to help nowadays due to the ATF guidance preventing non-FFL's from performing gunsmithing for others. It pretty much ended build parties.
Thanks for your replies guys; sad state of affairs huh? Really makes me wish I had gotten into this years ago.. maybe I will delve into whatever info I can find , invest in some tools and try a pistol someday.

In an slightly unrelated topic, what about other parts kits? Such as FALs , PSLs , etc? Able to build those in this most wonderful state of Md?
Saml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 04:14 PM #44

You can not build any banned rifle or pistol. Those are two different lists however. AK rifles are banned. AK pistols/SBRs are not. Uzi and MP5K are banned assault pistols however. It doesn't make sense so don't try to figure out why. The laws are a mess so just research carefully. FAL is on the banned rifle list. Don't know where the PSL falls.
Old January 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM #45

Part kits are getting way more expensive and harder to find. That said anyone that is a VA resident that would like to get together I’m definitely interested.
Robert2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 02:15 PM #46

I have a pre-'13 receiver from Nodak Spuds that I have been itching to build out. I'm thinking SBR, but need to start the paperwork. My question is how to navigate 922r compliance? Does that apply in this case? I have no idea if it applies.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security"
Wynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:44 PM #47

Pistol or SBR doesn't need to be pre-13. I'd start w/ another receiver and save that one for a rifle. I did this w/ some HKs to save my older ones for rifle builds.
922r doesn't affect pistols. General consensus seems to be it applies to SBRs now (ATF keeps flip-flopping)
https://johnpierceesq.com/does-922r-...ported-pistol/
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:35 AM #48
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdub View Post
You can not build any banned rifle or pistol. Those are two different lists however. AK rifles are banned. AK pistols/SBRs are not. Uzi and MP5K are banned assault pistols however. It doesn't make sense so don't try to figure out why. The laws are a mess so just research carefully. FAL is on the banned rifle list. Don't know where the PSL falls.
Posted from a different thread: "according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?"
jrhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:45 AM #49
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhzn View Post
Posted from a different thread: "according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?"
They wouldn’t. It would still, however, be illegal and it’s not the smartest thing to post it here.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 01:03 PM #50
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
They wouldn’t. It would still, however, be illegal and it’s not the smartest thing to post it here.
LOL - not worried one bit!
jrhzn is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles > AK Group Build