• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Cleaning tonight after a session at Freestate, when I went to pull my takedown pin on my Ruger LCP with my fingernail the head of the pin snapped off. I don't feel like going through warranty repair, I went ahead and ordered the $2.50 pin from Shop Ruger. Anything similar happen to anyone with an LCP? I'm at 1yr and about 500 rounds into mine.

Attachments

• image-1746539631.jpg
      image-1746539631.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 203

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    any wear marks un the underside of your slide on that side where it may have come in contact with the takedown pin?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    smokey0118 said:
    any wear marks un the underside of your slide on that side where it may have come in contact with the takedown pin?

Nope, it broke clean at the taper just before the pinhead. It's not a steel pin, looks like some alloy, maybe aluminum.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    As far as I can tell the gun still would function fine, the rest of the pin is still in place and being held by a tension spring. Getting that stub out will be a little challenging though I can tell, more on that once Ruger ships my replacement pin.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Haven't noticed that problem with mine. Sounds like a bad batch of pins. I would go ahead and call Ruger about it, at least to let them know of the problem, if they don't already. They may have already found a solution for it. I'll bet that they send you a new pin for free, too.

MH

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Marauder said:
    A failure is a failure..

My USP 9 had it's first failure yesterday too, a FTE which caused a double feed. About 2000 rounds or so into that one. Not hard to clear though and was fine afterwards.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    jmcgonig said:
    Why? That's not usually a failure during shooting. Probably broke when cleaning. Gun still will work also. Doesn't seem like something I would worry about it during carrying.

Broke when I slipped my fingernail underneath to pull it out.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    didn't have quite the same problem with my takedown pin....but it was a problem non the less. WHen i first got my LCP it would not cycle, FTE, FTF, etc. CLEARLY not working as it should. I took it to the (then) local shop for the guys to check it out. They pulled out another LCP and noticed that my takedown pin was actually about 1mm TOO short. It was actually walking out and binding up the slide! Anyway, long story short, my local shop actually GAVE me a new pin on the spot and sent the one i had back....great guys, other than that, no real problems with the LCP (other than the sights SUCK!). But i have also only put through about 150 rds in all.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I would make sure this is not a symptom of a larger problem. Check the TDP for strikes or wear (there should be none), or take it to a gunsmith. It might have been best to send it to Ruger because they would definately check it out before returning it to you.

Good luck with this.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    didn't have quite the same problem with my takedown pin....but it was a problem non the less. WHen i first got my LCP it would not cycle, FTE, FTF, etc. CLEARLY not working as it should. I took it to the (then) local shop for the guys to check it out. They pulled out another LCP and noticed that my takedown pin was actually about 1mm TOO short. It was actually walking out and binding up the slide! Anyway, long story short, my local shop actually GAVE me a new pin on the spot and sent the one i had back....great guys, other than that, no real problems with the LCP (other than the sights SUCK!). But i have also only put through about 150 rds in all.

A Nitesiters dot on the front "sight" does wonders :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom