• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    no it doesn't make sense, you would also have to deal with the firing pin going from center fire to rim fire. It is do-able but why bother when you can buy the same gun in 22lr "storebought"
    All that said maybe it was someones project just because to prove they could?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    AKA....someone doesn't have a clue....the Model 17 comes from the factory as a .22 cal, not a .38 cal.

The Model 19 is the same gun in .38/.357.

I happen to own one of each........

Model 19:

s_wmod19_thumb.jpg

Model 17:

s_wmod17_thumb.jpg

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    AKA....someone doesn't have a clue....the Model 17 comes from the factory as a .22 cal, not a .38 cal.

The Model 19 is the same gun in .38/.357.

I happen to own one of each........

Model 19:

s_wmod19_thumb.jpg

Model 17:

s_wmod17_thumb.jpg

Identical except for the size of the holes and the 19 has red insert front sight and white outline rear sight. 17 sights are plain.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Aren't many, if not most, S&W revolvers sleeved now to cut manufacturing costs? If so, the revolver in question could be mistaken by the person making the description.

That would make sense. It would have other model markings if it started life out as a 38.

I didn't know about the sleeving, or the outside shroud as some refer to it. I'm a pinned and recessed kind of guy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , a Mdl 17 would be a counterpart of an M14 , or M15 if you squinted .

My best guest is the person writing the descriptions has only moderate firearms knowledge .

Most likely, if he mentions M17, it actually is stamped M17 , and the .38 reference is to indicate the ".38 sized" frame .

Slightly likely , M17 frame , had origonal bbl replaced with M14/ M15 bbl resleeved to .22 .

Further possibilities increasingly off the wall.

This is one you will need to examine in person .

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    My best guest is the person writing the descriptions has only moderate firearms knowledge .
    >snip
    This is one you will need to examine in person .

If I were younger, I might be interested in the 257 Roberts or the 284. Maybe they will come up with some better descriptions and pictures as the auction gets closer.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Saw this on an upcoming auction,
    "Smith & Wesson Model 17 .22 cal *Sleeved from a .38 spc. To a .22*"

http://www.stevedance.com/index.cfm?page=real&itemType=1&detail=yes&iid=492&show=thumbs

No details, no pictures. It seems like a highly impractical conversion to me. You would also have to sleeve the cylinders.

I've seen a Smith M17 with a sleeved barrel. However, it started life as a .22. It was well over a decade ago, in Atlantic Guns, Silver Spring. Belonged to a target shooter, or so I was told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom