• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Its legal to transport it uncased and with loaded mags so long as the firearm itself is not loaded.

Feb 28, 2013
    I think that comes under the long gun rules for transport, due to being tougher to conceal.

You could open carry an AR if you wanted, just like a shotgun.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baltimore
    Just want to verify. I purchased a soft case for my AK that has external mag pouches. Is it legal to transport gun in case with loaded mags in pouches or must they be unloaded?

Also, not sure if this matters but would be in the cab of an extended cab pickup, not in the trunk of a car. I carry my shotgun with shells on the butt in a case and was told this was legal as it is a long gun. I'm just wanting to verify if my AK, being regulated, is any different?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The transport restrictions are for handguns only, not regulated long guns. The AK is technically treated the same as a nine year old girl's pink Chipmunk .22.

The mags can be loaded, just not in the rifle. That's the law, anyway.

However, you can't expect every LEO to be an expert on this stuff, and they are just as prone to having misconceptions of firearms law as anyone else. I'm saying if a cop finds that AK behind your seat with a couple loaded 30 rounders nearby, he might get a little upset at first. Best to be discrete.

But it is legal, and a good lawyer should have no trouble convincing an unbiased Judge.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The transport restrictions are for handguns only, not regulated long guns. The AK is technically treated the same as a nine year old girl's pink Chipmunk .22.

However, you can't expect every LEO to be an expert on this stuff, and they are just as prone to having misconceptions of firearms law as anyone else. I'm saying if a cop finds that AK behind your seat with a couple loaded 30 rounders nearby, he might get a little upset at first. Best to be discrete.

But it is legal, and a good lawyer should have no trouble convincing an unbiased Judge.

Actually, you just aren't allowed to "hunt" from your vehicle which is defined somehow as having a loaded firearm in the vehicle at any time for any reason (********). I really want to see someone get the DNR statute thrown out because they weren't hunting but conducting a driveby. :lol2:

Mar 18, 2013
    Baltimore

This was my assumption, thank you for confirming. But yes you do bring up a valid point as one may get a little antsy at first so probably something to consider.

Actually, you just aren't allowed to "hunt" from your vehicle which is defined somehow as having a loaded firearm in the vehicle at any time for any reason (********). I really want to see someone get the DNR statute thrown out because they weren't hunting but conducting a driveby. :lol2:

mags loaded but not in the firearm shouldnt be considered loaded therefore not considered hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom