• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Where did you get this information?

The excerpts are from a report released by the Maryland Department of Agriculture. The MDA got a statement release from the MD DNR regarding the position of the feral hogs issue as the MD DNR relates to it. The release dates back to the feral hog studies that were done in Carroll County, but, DNR's position is "statewide" on the matter.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The excerpts are from a report released by the Maryland Department of Agriculture. The MDA got a statement release from the MD DNR regarding the position of the feral hogs issue as the MD DNR relates to it. The release dates back to the feral hog studies that were done in Carroll County, but, DNR's position is "statewide" on the matter.

You have a link?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    How this thread got this point is beyond me, but, just so we understand, the idea of feral hog hunting came from the letter in the original post, so, can we get back to the prospect of shooting a feral hog if one is found in Maryland. I'm not going to debate this anymore, it's gotten way off mark with my original post. I made the post to talk about hunting hogs in Maryland, the thread took a hard legal turn at post #31, so, with that said, I'm done until someone puts the train back on the tracks. The first several replies to the original post obviously understood the purpose of the letter, after that, it's gone to hell, so, I'm done with it.

http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invader /archived_invaders_2009_12.html

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got four rifles and two shotguns that I could use for this application. I would actually pay for an out of state license in MD for this opportunity, since most of MD is closer to me than where the hogs are in VA.

Jim

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So, Ed, would you be charged with "killing a protected species" if you shot a feral hog in Maryland? Sounds pretty severe, the same as shooting a Bald Eagle, correct?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How this thread got this point is beyond me, but, just so we understand, the idea of feral hog hunting came from the letter in the original post, so, can we get back to the prospect of shooting a feral hog if one is found in Maryland. I'm not going to debate this anymore, it's gotten way off mark with my original post. I made the post to talk about hunting hogs in Maryland, the thread took a hard legal turn at post #31, so, with that said, I'm done until someone puts the train back on the tracks. The first several replies to the original post obviously understood the purpose of the letter, after that, it's gone to hell, so, I'm done with it.

http://www.mdinvasivesp.org/archived_invader /archived_invaders_2009_12.html

No ones doubting you, we're just looking for conformation is all. So far everything posted is not signed off by DNR.

I wouldn't want to get in trouble for shooting a farmers hog, that wandered onto my property. Knowing, domestic pigs can go feral rather quickly.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    No ones doubting you, we're just looking for conformation is all. So far everything posted is not signed off by DNR.

I wouldn't want to get in trouble for shooting a farmers hog, that wandered onto my property. Knowing, domestic pigs can go feral rather quickly.

I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend. But, here is the article that appeared by way of the letter in the original post which brought DNR into the whole debate, you should find your connection in this article:

http://times-news.com/archive/x1413001849/Wild-pigs-not-roaming-state

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend. But, here is the article that appeared by way of the letter in the original post which brought DNR into the whole debate, you should find your connection in this article:

http://times-news.com/archive/x1413001849/Wild-pigs-not-roaming-state

My point is, PA is a shoot on sight as long as you are a licensed hunter, and not in the 5 protected counties. The PA game commission rendered a decision and disseminated the info.

Apparently Maryland DNR has not done so as of yet. Until we get proof, then we could get into trouble for shooting the farmer's hogs.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So Ed, let me me ask you this, say someone shoots a feral hog in Maryland and then the DNR grabs their gun, their vehicle, their hog and them. So they go to prison and their cell mate is some big dude that's got a life sentence from killing and eating the family that used to live next door to him, and the cell mate as a way of welcoming him makes the hog-shooter squeal like a pig.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Apparently Maryland DNR has not done so as of yet. Until we get proof, then we could get into trouble for shooting the farmer's hogs.

That I don't know, don't care, had no intentions of going there, but, I am trying to discuss the possibilities of "feral" hogs/pigs hunting in maryland. How do we know if it is a "wild / feral Hog" or "farmer john's hog"... All the pig farmers I knew ear tagged their stock, if he don't have a tag or a tattoo, shot him! (?) But, eventually maybe someone will answer the question from the letter in the OP, as in the manner of asking "anyone seen any feral pigs? if so, let me know"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775921_wild-hog-hunting-maryland.html

Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT
    "Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

1. As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    That I don't know, don't care, had no intentions of going there, but, I am trying to discuss the possibilities of "feral" hogs/pigs hunting in maryland. How do we know if it is a "wild / feral Hog" or "farmer john's hog"... All the pig farmers I knew ear tagged their stock, if he don't have a tag or a tattoo, shot him! (?) But, eventually maybe someone will answer the question from the letter in the OP, as in the manner of asking "anyone seen any feral pigs? if so, let me know"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775921_wild-hog-hunting-maryland.html

Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT
    "Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

1. As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Earmarks and ear tattoos might be difficult to see unless you're relatively close to the pig. Eartags would probably be easy enough to spot.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Earmarks and ear tattoos might be difficult to see unless you're relatively close to the pig. Eartags would probably be easy enough to spot.

Yep. The ear tags are usually yellow or orange and they come in a specific size for swine. Tattoos have to be placed on the outside of the ear and the needle stamps are about 2" tall and black ink, easy to see on domesticated stock.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I understand what you're saying, but, the thread just went off in a direction I didn't intend.
    Sometimes they do that ;)

And for what it's worth, Ed is just looking out for the members of this board....he's not busting your balls. Why not look at ALL the info available and figure out which answer is correct, and where DNR needs to clarify?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sometimes they do that ;)

And for what it's worth, Ed is just looking out for the members of this board....he's not busting your balls. Why not look at ALL the info available and figure out which answer is correct, and where DNR needs to clarify?

Oh I'm not worried about getting my balls busted LOL I always expect some kind of speed bump on the roads of forums. I'm taking in all of the information, but, things got thrown off the road and I'm trying to get the wheels back on the pavement. It's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom