• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not a reloader so was wondering. Found some lead in the shed and didnt know if people still cast their own. The previous owner made his own trolling weight, I assume lead is lead? or does it need to be a certain kind. Was thinking of offering it as karma for anyone who wanted to pick up in southern Calvert. Ill start a new thread for it if its something reloaders would want.
    Otherwise to the salvage yard it would probably go.
    Havent weighed it but I assume the ignots are 5lbs per...

Attachments

• 20180422_103632.jpg
      20180422_103632.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 430

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Not a reloader so was wondering. Found some lead in the shed and didnt know if people still cast their own. The previous owner made his own trolling weight, I assume lead is lead? or does it need to be a certain kind. Was thinking of offering it as karma for anyone who wanted to pick up in southern Calvert. Ill start a new thread for it if its something reloaders would want.
    Otherwise to the salvage yard it would probably go.
    Havent weighed it but I assume the ignots are 5lbs per...
    search hooligan they cast a lot they will be posting again today just about every Sunday

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If 44man passes, I'll grab it.

Casting is something I want to try my hand at when I get some free time.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I just posted a thread dedicated to the karma. I wanted to be clear about how it was going to go down and that the winner, or someone he/she knows has to pick it up here in Solomons (Southern Calvert).
    For those of you that live up the road, if enter away if you are willing to drive down or know someone down here that will snag it up for you.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sounds like 44man has a small contingency helping him out. I'll pass and hope that he can win it. :thumbsup:

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I'll state up front I have no interest in the lead. I have plenty. It does appear to be soft "plumber's" lead, pretty close to pure soft lead. As such it's mainly good for muzzle loading projectiles. Alloyed with tin it'll be good for pistol and low-moderate velocity rifle bullets. Mixing it with clip-on wheelweights and/or linotype or monotype can yield some interesting alloys.

Nice find!

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    How do ya'll get the 'junk' away from the lead of the wheel weights? Can you beat it off (no pun) or do you just throw it into the pot and fish out the metal that's not lead?

Just wondering if there's a way to get the lead off the wire in a trolling/fishing weight...

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      4.2 KB · Views: 152

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Throw it in a pot, melt the lead, skim off the metal.

Melt it at just above the melting point.

If you get the lead too hot, it can melt the zinc that is in some wheel weights.

Zinc in bullet casting lead is worthless.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Throw it in a pot, melt the lead, skim off the metal.

Melt it at just above the melting point.

If you get the lead too hot, it can melt the zinc that is in some wheel weights.

Zinc in bullet casting lead is worthless.

Thanks for the answer. I'll keep my mouth shut about how many trolling weights I have floating around my small property... ha.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Well, the sheet lead is soft as he11. An one of the bars is plumbers lead for cast iron joints. just add some pewter or solder to the mix an you'll have good cast boolits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom