• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You don't need a WHY. The law doesn't require a WHY.

More MD BGOS.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, to cut to the chase: other than possibly having to get a lawyer to get the charges dropped if an officer doesn't know the nuances here, it's perfectly reasonable to drive around with an unloaded (mag out, but full-up) carbine in a case in your vehicle in MD. At all times? I mean, obviously as long as you don't park in the Post Office lot, or other naughty things. Yes?

As observed in earlier comments, the Official Information That Can't Really Be Trusted as provided by my W&C instructors made it pretty clear that driving around with carbine when you're not doing the explicitly recognized "it's OK" things (to/from an event, to/from a smith, etc) is asking for legal jeopardy. I have my permit, but it does have restrictions (pending review), and while I can normally construct "while doing business as" with almost no effort, there are SOME times when that might be dodgy. So the ol' cased-carbine-in-the-vehicle has a definite appeal, it's that's a rock solid proposition.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The transport statute 4-203 applies only to handguns and SBR's and SBS's Not long guns. You don't need a reason to transport an unloaded long gun in your vehicle, cased or not at any time. LE may feel differently, but that's not the law.

I won't comment on if it's a good idea or not, only that it's legal

IANAL

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This only addresses loaded handgun magazines but this is the letter that I carry in my gun boxes.

Wow! Didn't know that. Now it's downloaded on my phone. Thanks IronEye! I've been carrying my loaded mags outside in the bed of my truck.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nothing in MD law requires guns and ammo to be separate. only cased in a case or enclosed holster.

FOPA does if no trunk available while on interstate transport.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So, to cut to the chase: other than possibly having to get a lawyer to get the charges dropped if an officer doesn't know the nuances here, it's perfectly reasonable to drive around with an unloaded (mag out, but full-up) carbine in a case in your vehicle in MD. At all times? I mean, obviously as long as you don't park in the Post Office lot, or other naughty things. Yes?

As observed in earlier comments, the Official Information That Can't Really Be Trusted as provided by my W&C instructors made it pretty clear that driving around with carbine when you're not doing the explicitly recognized "it's OK" things (to/from an event, to/from a smith, etc) is asking for legal jeopardy. I have my permit, but it does have restrictions (pending review), and while I can normally construct "while doing business as" with almost no effort, there are SOME times when that might be dodgy. So the ol' cased-carbine-in-the-vehicle has a definite appeal, it's that's a rock solid proposition.

SWINOKUR is correct again, another case of instruction by the ignorant.

PM me where you got your W&C instruction

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Excellent thread--- this is one of the reasons I pop my head in here on a regular basis... get educated, stay informed and help inform others. Thanks!

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    +1 for carrying printed copies of the AG letters on loaded magazines (1/15/10), long guns (5/13/11), and HQL (11/21/13). In a sealed plastic bag in my trunk, with the spare tire (so I don't forget to pack them when I am transporting something to which the question might apply). I used to keep copies on my smart phone (still do), but I'd much rather give a LEO a disposable something to read than to hand over a phone that I've unlocked and would then possibly be subject to search.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    +1 for carrying printed copies of the AG letters on loaded magazines (1/15/10), long guns (5/13/11), and HQL (11/21/13). In a sealed plastic bag in my trunk, with the spare tire (so I don't forget to pack them when I am transporting something to which the question might apply). I used to keep copies on my smart phone (still do), but I'd much rather give a LEO a disposable something to read than to hand over a phone that I've unlocked and would then possibly be subject to search.

So your going to route around the trunk with handcuffs on ? While LEO is watching? You will get shot...

Tell LEO, you have nothing illegal, and you will not consent to a search.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    So your going to route around the trunk with handcuffs on ? While LEO is watching? You will get shot...

Tell LEO, you have nothing illegal, and you will not consent to a search.
    Absolutely not. Letters are for backup. Plan A is not to get in such a situation to begin with; Plan B is "I do not consent to a search;" Plan C is the letters if they might help resolve a situation/question. I've read of too many situations where a positive educational outreach MIGHT have prevented a lot of trouble. Like the Eagle Scout that I have been for nearly 50 years, I strive to Be Prepared. Cheap insurance I hope I never need.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If nothing else, telling the judge you informed the arresting officer of the law looks good.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Lots of BS in this thread, lots of good info too. Think I'm gonna go with the sub2k folded under the seat with mags in the console.

I did a lot of work at the CIA building in the 90's and always wondered if the shooter that walked from car to car shooting sitting ducks would have been deterred if someone put a Fckkking bullet in his chest.

And no, I have never been in that situation but would think (hope) I'd step up

Last edited:

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Out West you can roll down the road with a loaded AR15 on the seat, looking for coyotes to shoot. (Or just because you feel like it). Perfectly legal, no one cares. Just can't shoot em from the road or the truck, gotta clear the fence line, if there is one.

Maryland gun laws suck.

But don't worry, soon we'll have a Sri Lankan governor, I'm sure she'll make things better for gun owners....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out West you can roll down the road with a loaded AR15 on the seat, looking for coyotes to shoot. (Or just because you feel like it). Perfectly legal, no one cares. Just can't shoot em from the road or the truck, gotta clear the fence line, if there is one.

Maryland gun laws suck.

But don't worry, soon we'll have a Sri Lankan governor, I'm sure she'll make things better for gun owners....

The long gun transportation restrictions on not being loaded are strictly for combating poaching. It’s pretty hard to prove someone is about to poach. But if they’ve got a loaded rifle in their lap sitting by some woods and the DNR officer can nab them on the transport statute. Also harsher penalties than what poaching carries.

Oh, but as pointed out, that law applies to more than just hunting.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And that's the problem. A one size fits all statute that doesn't differentiate between hunting and other activities.

Thanks MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom