• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    I'm looking into buying a stripped AR9 lower. Do I need an HQL? Will I have to fill out a 77r? Are they cash and carry?

I've searched on this forum and the answers seem to be all OVER the place.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Because an AR lower can be built into a pistol, you are required to fill out a e77r but you are not required to have an HQL. Start your e77r online and take the PIN with you to the FFL. You will also have to do a 4473 at the time of sale and wait until you get the 8-day wait email from MDSP before you can pick it up.

It's a contrived royal pain in the derriere, but ~ Maryland.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Because an AR lower can be built into a pistol, you are required to fill out a e77r but you are not required to have an HQL. Start your e77r online and take the PIN with you to the FFL. You will also have to do a 4473 at the time of sale and wait until you get the 8-day wait email from MDSP before you can pick it up.

It's a contrived royal pain in the derriere, but ~ Maryland.

Hmm. I don't know if the e77r existed the last time I purchased a pistol in Maryland (It was pre-sb281). I plan on building it out with a shockwave blade and a 4" PSA Upper. Is it safe for me to buy the upper right now or should I wait until I have a pistol lower?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    MDSP guidance is that AR lowers require the 77r (now electronic 77e), 7 day wait, but no HQL.

This is the MDSP advisory. The logic appears to be the fact that the AR lower was regulated prior to FSA 2013.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D...3 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf

It should not depend on which FFL you go to, but it might depend what type of lower you buy. If it is not a true "AR" lower (i.e. dedicated 9mm that accepts Glock mags), and was unregulated prior to FSA 2013, cash and carry.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One plus is that once you do buy the lower, you can use it as a training exemption if you decide to get the HQL, as it's considered a regulated firearm by MSP.

Stupid? you bet.

It's Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The other MSP reason is if a lower can be built into a pistol, it will be treated as a regulated firearm.

If a lower can be built into a pistol configuration, MSP will consider it regulated.

YMMV

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    What are some of the FFLs that will do cash and carry? I'd rather not have to fill out a 77r if I can avoid it.

If it's a dedicated 9mm lower, then it's not an AR15 lower, so it's treated like a long gun - cash and carry. That's how we treat them.

I'm the defense of dealers who do the 77R for all lowers, guidance from MSP is sketchy at best. Talk to 10 Troopers, get 6 different answers. Some dealers have chosen to err on the side of caution and have you do the 77R. When you're dealing with the people who control your livelihood, sometimes you bow to their infinite wisdom... LOL

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    If it's a dedicated 9mm lower, then it's not an AR15 lower, so it's treated like a long gun - cash and carry. That's how we treat them.

I'm the defense of dealers who do the 77R for all lowers, guidance from MSP is sketchy at best. Talk to 10 Troopers, get 6 different answers. Some dealers have chosen to err on the side of caution and have you do the 77R. When you're dealing with the people who control your livelihood, sometimes you bow to their infinite wisdom... LOL

Thanks for that clarification.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Engage is where I bought mine cash n carry

+1 For Engage. If you can find one somewhere, they'll be able to handle the transfer. United Guns can also handle the transfer, but I'm not sure of their policy regarding dedicated 9mm stripped lowers. Worth the ask though.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I'm looking into buying a stripped AR9 lower. Do I need an HQL? Will I have to fill out a 77r? Are they cash and carry?

I've searched on this forum and the answers seem to be all OVER the place.

Buy 2 one 9mm ,and one 5.56; make one a pistal and one a rifle. I was told you buy 2 a month.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a ar15 pistal can have "the evil features " that the 2013
    Said no to; and can be set up with a rifle length barrel?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    well, one of the "evil features" is a folding stock. Add that and it would no longer be a pistol.

Also, not sure about "rifle" length barrel. Think one needs to stay <16".

So my pistal can have a bushmaster dress for the weekend.

Making a gun with a "pistol" length barrel and a folding stock is also a problem. That is an SBR under ATF rules.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    well, one of the "evil features" is a folding stock. Add that and it would no longer be a pistol.

Also, not sure about "rifle" length barrel. Think one needs to stay <16".

Making a gun with a "pistol" length barrel and a folding stock is also a problem. That is an SBR under ATF rules.

Is a folding stock the same as a folding sig brace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom