• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    So I bought a GI thumb safety from someone who apparently purchased them in bulk and are selling them "as new" on eBay.
    After installing the safety, I noticed significant overtravel. I took the gun to a reputable gunsmith and was told I would be better off just buying a new safety. Assuming the safety I received was defective, I purchased another from the same buyer (I know, I know). Again, I have the same issue.

I'm not a gunsmith but I have to assume the overtravel is caused by not enough material on the lug to be able to fit it properly, right?
    My bad for buying cheap shit on eBay. :rolleyes:

So, I'm now looking at a Wilson "Retro" GI style thumb safety.
    The part is pretty expensive and I just wanted to know if anyone here has used one and if they had any issues.
    I have two pet peeves with 1911's. Idiot scratches and a thumb safety with overtravel.
    Idiot scratches are just careless and a safety with overtravel makes even the best 1911 feel like a cheap POS. :D

Anyway, if anyone has any input on the Wilson Retro safety, or any recommendations, that would be great. :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've used many many Wilson parts over the years on my .45s. Including their safeties.

I can't imagine them ever putting out a safety that wasn't top shelf.

Good luck on your repair.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I just spent several hours soldering, filing, and fitting and I'm just frustrated.
    Going with the Wilson "Retro". Who do you guys recommend for the install?
    Gunsmithing is obviously not "my thing". lol
    I'm in Beltsville.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I just spent several hours soldering, filing, and fitting and I'm just frustrated.
    Going with the Wilson "Retro". Who do you guys recommend for the install?
    Gunsmithing is obviously not "my thing". lol
    I'm in Beltsville.

They are not that hard to install. You need a good punch set and confidence in what you are doing..Mabe take a look on youtube as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Contact Clandestine here on the forum and visit his trailer.

Engage in Rockville. Scott's in Glen Burnie. Duffy's up north of Baltimore.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That is an issue a good number of thumb safeties, typically the nonpremium brands. Did you try setting the detent on the forward part of the thumb safety higher? Only issue with that could be the bottom of thumb safety window peaking with the thumb safety up after blending.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Thumb safety installation is very simple--there's just an area on the tab that you file to clear the left sear leg. You don't really need anything other than a file, but 10-8 does make a great armorer's block that will help you keep that cut straight if you're worried about it. It's expensive, but it does a bunch of other things if you think you might be working on 1911s for any reason:

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Armorer-Block.html

By the way, if you overcut the tab, you can swell it back to oversize with a glancing blow using a heavy hammer.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    That is an issue a good number of thumb safeties, typically the nonpremium brands. Did you try setting the detent on the forward part of the thumb safety higher? Only issue with that could be the bottom of thumb safety window peaking with the thumb safety up after blending.

I tried setting the detent a little deeper and more pronounced with a nice polished ramp, but that didn't help much.
    The fitting of the lug was so poor that it required a lot of force to take it off safety, thus being forced past the detent.
    Like you said, I think the problem comes down to one thing ... cheap parts.

I just ordered a Wilson and hope to find a good gunsmith that can get it right.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Thumb safety installation is very simple--there's just an area on the tab that you file to clear the left sear leg. You don't really need anything other than a file, but 10-8 does make a great armorer's block that will help you keep that cut straight if you're worried about it. It's expensive, but it does a bunch of other things if you think you might be working on 1911s for any reason:

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Armorer-Block.html

By the way, if you overcut the tab, you can swell it back to oversize with a glancing blow using a heavy hammer.

Thanks bpm32. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Dino, if you're not comfortable doing the job yourself - especially being a 1911, I'd recommend Trikshot (John Carduner), he's in the IP subforum.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Thank you everyone for all the recommendations.
    I just received the Wilson part and figured I'd try to fit it myself.
    It required very little fitting and works perfect!

It really does pay to buy good quality parts. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom