• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Deer bow-hunting season started last Thursday here in Nebraska. I went out a couple of times since I spotted a buck with a nice rack last week.

The mosquitoes were swarming around me both nights I went. I had Deep Woods Off on but it didn't keep them off me enough. They were biting me through my sweatshirt on the elbows.

I had a Thermacell in storage that I have never used so I got it out and will use it tomorrow night.

How do they work and do you use one?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sorry, dunno.

But, there is a fabric, some synthetic stuff, that's probably too hot for half the year, but it can block mosquito bites. I might have created a thread about it, certainly posted about it, but can't recall at the moment what it's called.

Otherwise, picardian is better than deet and.... ah, nevermind, just read this:

If mosquitoes love to slurp your blood—and yes, some people are more prone to a bite than others—you'll likely stop at nothing to keep them away, harsh chemicals and all. A Consumer Reports survey of 2,011 U.S. adults found that almost 75% are more concerned with the many diseases transported by mosquitoes and ticks, like Lyme disease, West Nile Virus and chikungunya, than with potentially dangerous chemicals in their bug spray. But a new investigation by the product-testing group Consumer Reports finds that you have more natural options that are even more effective.
    In Consumer Reports’ entire history of testing bug sprays, harsh chemicals like N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, commonly known as deet, have always come out on top. But for the first time, safer, gentler products were more effective.
    The winning products used picaridin and oil of lemon eucalyptus as the active ingredients. Both are chemically synthesized ingredients but more similar to natural compounds than deet; they also come with fewer side effects. Best in show were Sawyer Fisherman’s Formula, which held mosquitoes and ticks at bay for eight hours, and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus, which protected against ticks for eight hours and mosquitoes for seven hours.
    MORE: You Asked: Why Do Mosquitos Always Bite Me?
    To test the effectiveness of the sprays, researchers enlisted the help of some brave testers—the “swat team,” they called them—who were spritzed with different repellents, left to sit for 30 minutes, and then told to reach into a cage with 200 mosquitoes hungry for blood (but free of diseases). Researchers watched the feast and recorded the number of bites; two or more bites in a five-minute session meant the repellent failed. They tested for ticks, too—and even braver testers had repellent applied to parts of their arms and disease-free deer ticks released on their arms to crawl. If two ticks crossed into the sprayed areas, the repellent failed.
    Products starring plant oils like citronella, lemongrass and rosemary didn’t work. Candles and wristbands didn’t work, either.
    “Look first for products with 20 percent picaridin or 30 percent oil of lemon eucalyptus,” the report said. “We think they’re safer than those with deet.” If deet is your only option, aim for a concentration of about 15 percent, which even outperformed the product with 25 percent. In concentrations more than 30 percent, deet might be dangerous, the authors conclude.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have 2 Thermocells. They work great. I am an official mosquito magnet. I can walk outside on a warm day in December and get bit. I haven't been out hunting in the last 4 years due to my bad knee, but I would have no problem using them in a tree stand but maybe not so much in a ground blind. Of course they will give off some type of odor, so you'll have to try them and see how the deer react.

Good Luck!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't hunt early season without one running, I have two. We also use them in Canada fishing in the early season when the skeeters will carry you off. They work great and I have never really had an issue with them spooking deer.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Love them. You can get damp-earth scented pads for them to help cover your scent as well. I don't go out in the yard or woods without one this time of year. I've seen enough dead crows this past summer to know that West Nile Virus is alive and well here.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    My only complaint is the refill kits. They give you 2x more pads then the fluid yet the fluid only lasts for half the length of the pad life. So you end up with a stock pile of spare pads. There are a couple tutorials out there that show how to refill the little bottles with butane.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    My only complaint is the refill kits. They give you 2x more pads then the fluid yet the fluid only lasts for half the length of the pad life. So you end up with a stock pile of spare pads. There are a couple tutorials out there that show how to refill the little bottles with butane.

I have done the refills many times. I have a stash of bottles that have been modified to take the refilling. It's cake. It's also a boat load cheaper. My only wish is they sold just the pads, but I get why they don't.

Mark

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My SEAL buddy lives and swears by his thermacell. Says all the guys use them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Consumer Reports results:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 2.06.02 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 2.06.02 PM.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 239

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Back in the day, Avons used to sell the best mosquito repellant. They haven't sold it in years. But it was great stuff.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Been using them for over 10 yrs, even worked on stink bugs LOL

All of us have 'em back in FL, hunting swamps and edges. When we moved up here, used them. Never was able to tell if it scared deer or pigs.

FYI - bought one of the lanterns from thermacell, used it camping on Assandcheak (Asseteaque, I can't spell); wife is a mosquito magnet, she wasn't bothered the evenings I had it out.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We keep a Thermocell by the back door and use it anytime we work in the back yard. They work and that's all you have to know. We first heard about them from a friend who had just returned from a hunting trip in Canada in an area where black flies will eat you alive.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I use one every time I go out. This year has been insane with mosquito. I just clip it to my tree strap above my head and its good to go. You won't regret using it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Keep an eye for them to go on sale now the Summer is winding down. Even the refill kits can be sold for a lot less than they usually are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom