• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, I know this is very individualized topic.

I've got a pair of old REI hiking boots that have stood up to 12 years of use and abuse and are still in great shape (I've burned out 4 other pairs of hiking boots in that time). I use them for hunting occasionally, but they are summer weight and not waterproof.

I have some surplus desert weight boots that are a little large and the soles could practically take a land mine (IE too heavy) that I've used for hunting a couple of times, but mostly use for working in the yard.

I've got a pair of muck type boots with a good thinsulate liner (600g? 800?). I tend to take those. They are okay if only hiking 1-2 miles and they are nice and waterproof. Kind of hit in the early season and they suck if I end up still hunting 3-4 miles in a day. Also heavy.

So I am looking for some true hunting boots. I can't seem to find any good middle ground, use all season boots at a reasonable price. I realize I may be looking for a unicorn or need to pay big bucks. Cabela's (between cabelas brand and Herters) have some apparentlymfefrnt waterproof uninuslated boots and insulated boots (1200g, which seems awfully heavy for Maryland hunting). Bass pro (redhead brand) seems to have some also that are uninsulated and waterproof, but a bit low cut, and some that are only 1000g insulated and water proof (still seems heavy, but maybe okay for late season hunting)

I'd love to find something that is like 400g or 600g, which seem like I could use all season and just throw on the extra winter socks if sitting.

Thoughts? Should I be looking somewhere else (preferbaly under $100 or under $160 if looking at two pair, but I'd do $160 if I could find one set of boots that can do it all)?

Also how waterproof are these "waterproof" boots usually? I see some complaints on the waterproof failing in just rain. Maybe I need rubber boots, but I am hoping for something I could cross a stream with 3-4" of water, so up over the top of the foot, but not really up the calf. Just a couple of steps, not like crossing a 20 foot stream. A lot of places I hunt I have to be crossing streams and sometimes I can step on rocks, but often times I've gotta step once or twice in to the water to cross it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I've got a couple pair I love.

Danner makes a great boot. I strongly suggest Pronghorn. Unless you're going to some really harsh country (rocks, hills, etc.).

LLBean has some pretty damned nice boots. My go to is the Technical Kangaroo boot with boa closure. These wear like iron p, feel like slippers and have kept me warm and dry for four years now. Worth every nickel.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I've got a couple pair I love.

Danner makes a great boot. I strongly suggest Pronghorn. Unless you're going to some really harsh country (rocks, hills, etc.).

LLBean has some pretty damned nice boots. My go to is the Technical Kangaroo boot with boa closure. These wear like iron, feel like slippers and have kept me warm and dry for four years now. Worth every nickel.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For 20+ years I was huge fan of Rocky hunting boots. Still have all of them, though I've retired some of them from full duty recently. For early season warmer hunts I wear uninsulated 7" Gore Tex Rocky Bobcats (hiking boot style). About 7 or 8 years old I think. Still look nearly new and I've pounded the hell outta them.

Retired my old Rocky heavy winter hunt boots (stepped on stick @ bad angle & sliced hole in the side). At a sale at BPS I found Irish Setters. Can't remember model but these things are comfortable & very warm. Don't recommend for lots of walking, for stand hunting only. Great soles, flexible so climbing steep hills won't bother you too bad (except they are pretty heavy). Now I look at Irish Setter boots for my next warm boot purchase.

Just my recommendations but you can't go wrong with Rocky or Irish Setters. My 2 pennies anyway. Good luck.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'd love to find something that is like 400g or 600g, which seem like I could use all season and just throw on the extra winter socks if sitting.

Thoughts? Should I be looking somewhere else (preferbaly under $100 or under $160 if looking at two pair, but I'd do $160 if I could find one set of boots that can do it all)?

Also how waterproof are these "waterproof" boots usually?

I HIGHLY recommend these:
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ated-waterproof-sport-boots-400-gram?a=552713

They're what I have and have used them for about 4 years now without any issues what-so-ever. The waterproofing is long-lasting (it has yet to fail me) and that included tromping through 20' wide streams on ice-cold days in January. It's a waterproof membrane (goretex type material) vs a superficial waterproofing additive. I wear regular socks with them until mid-winter when I switch over to wool. Even then I don't even have to use toe warmers or anything. They're the best thing out there for the money IMHO.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are talking deer hunting boots, there are many brands, but only one style of boot you should wear. Full rubber calf high boots. When you buy them, give them a good scouring with hunting soap(same as what you use in the shower) and a brush to help make them scent free. Keep them out side when not in use and only put them on when you are suiting up where you hunt. Before you leave your hunting grounds, take them off for the ride home. Spray them down each time you hunt.

Something along these lines.

Attachments

• boots.jpg
      boots.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 289

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    For 20+ years I was huge fan of Rocky hunting boots. Still have all of them, though I've retired some of them from full duty recently. For early season warmer hunts I wear uninsulated 7" Gore Tex Rocky Bobcats (hiking boot style). About 7 or 8 years old I think. Still look nearly new and I've pounded the hell outta them.

Retired my old Rocky heavy winter hunt boots (stepped on stick @ bad angle & sliced hole in the side). At a sale at BPS I found Irish Setters. Can't remember model but these things are comfortable & very warm. Don't recommend for lots of walking, for stand hunting only. Great soles, flexible so climbing steep hills won't bother you too bad (except they are pretty heavy). Now I look at Irish Setter boots for my next warm boot purchase.

Just my recommendations but you can't go wrong with Rocky or Irish Setters. My 2 pennies anyway. Good luck.

I gave up on Rocky boots, both pairs split open in only a few months! They were very comfortable but not worth the price when they come apart like that! I will be looking at other boots from now on.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have had the same pair of Irish setter gunflint 1000gram boots for 7 years now. Irish setter is Redwings hunting boots. When I bought mine they were made in USA but not sure if they still are.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I would put out another vote for Danner, just make sure it is a boot that is made in the USA, they have a lot of boots made overseas but supposedly to US specs and quality control, but last pair I ordered, I sent back because the stitching looked like it was done by Ray Charles.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I might add my own Rocky insights. I loved them when they first came out. The last two pair I owned saw the sole separate way prematurely from the boot. That's why I used the word last...

My first couple pair were excellent. I'm somehow sure they changed manufacturers and or materials.

FWIMBW, I'd add FILSON to any list of great boots. Expensive and outside price range but well worth it IMO. They are monsters. Built like an Abrams tank.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Danner makes very good boots. Been my favorites for years.

I've long believed that if you have $200 to spend on hunting outerwear, spend $150 of it on good boots. You can make a lot of other things work, but if your feet are miserable, so are you.

Didn't really see mention of what type of hunting you predominately do. Boots are in many ways like guns and scopes....they're compromises. If you're moving all the time, like through fields with upland game hunting, you don't want or need ultra heavy Thinsulate, and you damned sure don't want soles that will pick up and hold a ton of mud. It's a whole lot less than pleasant carrying cinderblocks on the end of your legs hunting rabbit and birds. On the flip side, hunt W.Va. shale mountain country in boots without deep and aggressive tread, and you might find yourself getting tired of picking yourself up off the deck. You're a tree stand deer hunter hanging in all day in cold weather? God bless Thinsulate, and the more the merrier. Late year, even Sorels make sense if you're not walking far.

Compromises.....think it through, so you have at least most of what you need, most of the time.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

I've long believed that if you have $200 to spend on hunting outerwear, spend $150 of it on good boots. You can make a lot of other things work, but if your feet are miserable, so are you.

Didn't really see mention of what type of hunting you predominately do. Boots are in many ways like guns and scopes....they're compromises. If you're moving all the time, like through fields with upland game hunting, you don't want or need ultra heavy Thinsulate, and you damned sure don't want soles that will pick up and hold a ton of mud. It's a whole lot less than pleasant carrying cinderblocks on the end of your legs hunting rabbit and birds. On the flip side, hunt W.Va. shale mountain country in boots without deep and aggressive tread, and you might find yourself getting tired of picking yourself up off the deck. You're a tree stand deer hunter hanging in all day in cold weather? God bless Thinsulate, and the more the merrier. Late year, even Sorels make sense if you're not walking far.

Compromises.....think it through, so you have at least most of what you need, most of the time.
    Great post!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

The problem with leather/porus boots in a deer hunting situation (if that is what the OP is looking for) is they bleed human scent on the trail. Nothing worse than sitting in your stand, watching an on coming deer cross you backtrail, sniff, and then do a 180.

This has nothing to do with Uncle Duke's post. Sorry unc.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The problem with leather/porus boots in a deer hunting situation (if that is what the OP is looking for) is they bleed human scent on the trail. Nothing worse than sitting in your stand, watching an on coming deer cross you backtrail, sniff, and then do a 180.

This has nothing to do with Uncle Duke's post. Sorry unc.

Outrider58 indeed has yet another very definite consideration here. To this I'll add still another....if OP is thinking Maryland Eastern Shore, like say Dorchester, Wicomico etc? Leave your leather boots at home in a lot of the areas there, and think knee high rubber. Cuz if you like water, you'll absolutely LOVE some of the swamp country you'll find yourself trekking through. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider58 indeed has yet another very definite consideration here. To this I'll add still another....if OP is thinking Maryland Eastern Shore, like say Dorchester, Wicomico etc? Leave your leather boots at home in a lot of the areas there, and think knee high rubber. Cuz if you like water, you'll absolutely LOVE some of the swamp country you'll find yourself trekking through. :)

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom