• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It appears people are getting the terms "Credential" and proof of "Qualification" confused here.
    LEOSA carry for Qualified Retired LEO is two elements:

1. A credential issued by your former agency certifying you are a qualified retired LEO...this certifies you had at least 10 years of service as a LEO.

I think you are confusing "10 years service" with "retirement".
    There's separation and retirement. Does your military id state how many years of service you have?

Here's how my Fed agency does it.

Credentials.... Badge wallet and Identification card is not proof/verification of years of service. Police credentials are merely ceremonial. This says nothing about you having 10 years or more as an LEO.
    My Federal Agency only issues "retirement" creds when someone retires after 20 years or medically retires after 18 months of service.
    If someone quits after 10 years, there is no special credential for them. They get a LEOSA card only.

A LEOSA card issued from The agency is the official verification of your service time. When you fill out your id card application with your agency, them approving it is what says "Yeah. This guy has at least 10 years in good standing".

One does not need former police officer "credentials" along with a LEOSA card. I know of no agencies who issue credentials to employees who left after 10 years, but didn't "retire" at 20. Maybe some agencies issue creds to non retirees because they like the employee to carry something along with the card.

"Here you go Charlie. Here is your 13 year service credentials". Why someone would want to carry an extra badge and wallet that means nothing is beyond me.
    Driver's license for ID + LEOSA card + Letter of yearly qualification (from usually an LEO agency) is all one needs to carry legally under LEOSA.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    This particular image you posted appears to be the back of a standard MSP handgun permit not a LEOSA card unless they are both the same which I doubt. My permit reads exactly as your does on the reverse and it is not LEOSA.
    ;)

Last edited:

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    There's separation and retirement. Does your military id state how many years of service you have?

Credentials.... Badge wallet and Identification card is not proof/verification of years of service. Police credentials are merely ceremonial. This says nothing about you having 10 years or more as an LEO.
    My Federal Agency only issues "retirement" creds when someone retires after 20 years or medically retires after 18 months of service.
    If someone quits after 10 years, there is no special credential for them. They get a LEOSA card only.

A LEOSA card issued from The agency is the official verification of your service time. When you fill out your id card application with your agency, them approving it is what says "Yeah. This guy has at least 10 years in good standing".

One does not need former police officer "credentials" along with a LEOSA card. I know of no agencies who issue credentials to employees who left after 10 years, but didn't "retire" at 20. Maybe some agencies issue creds to non retirees because they like the employee to carry something along with the card.

"Here you go Charlie. Here is your 13 year service credentials". Why someone would want to carry an extra badge and wallet that means nothing is beyond me.
    Driver's license for ID + LEOSA card + Letter of yearly qualification (from usually an LEO agency) is all one needs to carry legally under LEOSA.
    ;)

Last edited:

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County

Nope...The federal law (18 USC 926C) states a Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer is someone who has served at least 10 years in a LE position, period.

Notice how the ONLY time "retired" is used is in the title of the section. Every other reference the term "separated" is used...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

Qualified Retired LEO definition:
    (c) As used in this section, the term “qualified retired law enforcement officer” means an individual who—
    (1) separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer;

(2) before such separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

(3)
    (A) before such separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or

(B) separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;

Identification:
    (d) The identification required by this subsection is—
    (2)
    (A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and

(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—
    (I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Retired credentials or "LEOSA Card" is not the same thing as the annual qualification. Again it's two things you must have to comply with 18 USC 926C-something that shows you were a LEO for at least 10 years and something that shows you have qualified within the last 12 months...
    Every time I've qualified I have had my 926C credential checked for validity...the proof of qualification is either issued right after a successful qualification, comes in the mail or go by the sheriffs office to pick up a few days later, depending on the internal policies of the issuing agency.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Those are LEOSA qualifications we all get it
    Aside from that hoobly gook. If you left a job after 10 years, would you say you're retired? Of course not. You're not an annuitant. I medically retired after 15.5 years, so I get creds and a LEOSA card.

This section, means agency issued LEOSA card

" A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; "
    That doesn't mean retired I'd card.

I'll say it again, a badge and Id card are typically referred to as credentials.
    A LEOSA card is what officially says you used to be a cop for 10 years or more.
    It's a card. It's not "credentials".

Do you know which agencies give credentials to someone who quits a police job after 10 years and before 20? I don't.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Aside from that hoobly gook. If you left a job after 10 years, would you say you're retired? Of course not. You're not an annuitant. I medically retired after 15.5 years, so I get creds and a LEOSA card.

" A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; "

I'll say it again, a badge and Id card are typically referred to as credentials.

Do you know which agencies give credentials to someone who quits a police job after 10 years and before 20? I don't.

Tracking...I separated from service at 11 years and you served and medically retired at 15.5...but for purposes of the statue and LEOSA, we are both "Qualified Retired LEO"......You are either "Actively Serving" (926B) or "Qualified Retired" (926C).
    Maybe we are splitting hairs over the term "credential" as the statue just calls it an 'Identification". My former agency calls it a credential, so that's what I'm used to. Lots of people refer to their proof of qualification to their "LEOSA card" as well, some also erroneously call it a "Permit", which it isn't.
    Again, for 926C, it breaks down to 10 years served LEO and have proof of service and proof of current qualification to comply with the law.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Tracking...I separated from service at 11 years and you served and medically retired at 15.5...but for purposes of the statue and LEOSA, we are both "Qualified Retired LEO"......You are either "Actively Serving" (926B) or "Qualified Retired" (926C).
    Maybe we are splitting hairs over the term "credential" as the statue just calls it an 'Identification". My former agency calls it a credential, so that's what I'm used to. Lots of people refer to their proof of qualification to their "LEOSA card" as well, some also erroneously call it a "Permit", which it isn't.
    Again, for 926C, it breaks down to 10 years served LEO and have proof of service and proof of current qualification to comply with the law.

Yeah. Just breaking down the semantics. :D

Now for this other guy, Hit, well I still don't understand how he got either of his cards. Did you go through that DSC service?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    1. Get a separated in good standing card that says you qualify under LEOSA from your agency.

2. Go to Charles County Sportsman’s Club every other Thursday, where The Sheriff's Dept. does quals for ANYONE from ANY agency eligible under LEOSA, pay $40 and get qualified.

It is that easy.

Here is a link to the info. Call the Deputy listed and he will get you signed right up.

https://www.ccso.us/news/retirees/2014/01/leosa-training-announcement/

My agency does LEOSA for its own retirees for free, but I still go to Charles County because it is less hassle and just an easier process.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

/\ THIS /\

Have 10 years + of qualifying service, have a card that says so, you are good to go LEOSA, "retired" or not makes no difference.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    1. Get a separated in good standing card that says you qualify under LEOSA from your agency.

LOL This is what I have been trying to determine from the original post. These guys are military. Apparently the military doesn't have LEOSA cards. They can just go to Sykesville, show their DD214, take the qual class and get a MPCTC issued LEOSA card.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    LOL This is what I have been trying to determine from the original post. These guys are military. Apparently the military doesn't have LEOSA cards. They can just go to Sykesville, show their DD214, take the qual class and get a MPCTC issued LEOSA card.

A few of our guys use MPTC at Sykesville, and all they get is a card that says the met their annual qualification requirement; you need that AND a card form your agency noting your years of service and they you seperated in good standing to carry legally under the law; maybe MPTC is doing something different for the military.

Easy to find out though. Just call MPTC Monday and ask. Charles County could likely provide the needed info too.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017

Like;)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Must posses Valid Police Agency photo ID AND this Card .

Sure implies those are two different things .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom