• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For the most part, gun shops are not a good place to get advice on gun laws, especially as complicated and convoluted as MD's laws are.

Read and learn on your own. Google makes it pretty easy

Just remember, as pointed out, gun ranges can make their own rules even those that are different than what the law states.

Their business, their rules.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you for posting this! I am just finishing day one as a gun owner. Went and picked up my gun (Glock 19) at the gun store. Told them I was going Togo right to the range to try it out. I had a range bag with me with, among other things, boxed ammunition in a compartment and two loaded magazines in another compartment. Locks on both. They told me I needed to unload the magazines (even they would be in a separate locked compartment of the bag from the gun itself) and needed to have the boxed ammunition separate from the gun as well. I unloaded and re-boxed the ammunition (came from one of those boxes). Short answer, I walked out thinking this was absurd (and considering a move to VA). I am glad that they were wrong. I'll read the AG opinions tonight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What store if you don't mind me asking??

And welcome to the brotherhood of gun ownership, it's like Lay's potato chips.....you can't stop at just one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In these discussions there are at least five answers :

1. Actual State Law
    2. Actual Federal Law ( where applicable)
    3. What dominate LE Agency recomends officially in published documents, or offocial Dept Website
    4. What random individual LEO recomends on person.
    5. What a wise and prudent gunowner should do

In general , Maryland is far less an issue of "how" vs when, and to what destination, with what degree of directness. ( That last part can Really stir up a heated discussion here ).

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    What store if you don't mind me asking??

And welcome to the brotherhood of gun ownership, it's like Lay's potato chips.....you can't stop at just one.

Worth-a-Shot. I don't fault them for being overly cautious, but that sounded absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm not anal, but I keep a copy of all AG opinions relating to firearms in a folder in my Jeep. It may convince a cop they're wrong.

Ignorant gin store counter folks,

Not so much

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm not anal, but I keep a copy of all AG opinions relating to firearms in a folder in my Jeep. It may convince a cop they're wrong.

Ignorant gin store counter folks,

Not so much

I tried to find the opinions on the AG's website last night. I couldn't find them. What year are they from?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the opinions arent posted to the best of my knowledge. i've just collectedthem over the years when I've found them here and elsewhere.

what year are you referring to? I posted 2 opinions

Mags opinion was 2010. Holster 2012

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    the opinions arent posted to the best of my knowledge. i've just collectedthem over the years when I've found them here and elsewhere.

what year are you referring to? I posted 2 opinions

Mags opinion was 2010. Holster 2012

I tried to pull those up but the link was broken. Might be an iOS thing. Will try on my computer.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    here's the AG opinion on loaded mags.

Also attachin the AG opion on wha constitutes an enclosed holster

Don't ask cops about the law. Many of them aren't that up to date on what's ok.

Not casting aspersions, some just don't know.

Thanks for this -- got it on my computer and printed 4 copies to keep in my glove compartment!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who was a sargent in the hp section of MSP. He said when he was there they were told that magizines were part of the firearm and could not be loaded. Speed loaders were ok because they were not. Any MSP want to let us know.

I think the MSP comment regarding mags that are part of the gun may not be loaded while transporting may relate to rifles like an M1 and others where the mag is integral to the arm, and not readily detached, like it is on an AR.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Worth-a-Shot. I don't fault them for being overly cautious, but that sounded absurd.

Is it just me or is Worth-a-shot seem to continuously give out bad information? I remember someone commented on an HQL class they took there and some of the stuff they were told was patently false.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Ah, that explains it...Worth a Shit.

They think because they are former Baltimore City Police officers they can't be wrong, and won't take constructive criticism when trying to correct their bad information.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Worth-A-Shot is consistent. They think they KNOW MD law, so they are unwilling to look it up or take anyone else's word. When you think you know more than everyone else, you are always in trouble.

jmg32

Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks for all the info and clarification on the law!

Just got my gun last week (after I was "not disapproved") and waiting on my ammo to arrive to make a range trip.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203

Unloaded, in any case suffices. So long as you're staying within the state, it needn't be able to be locked either (of course this doesn't hurt; always lock your car).
    Ammo should be kept separate. It is fine for you to have loaded magazines too, just not in any firearm.

I'm a big proponent of 'out of sight, out of mind'. Best to stow your guns in the trunk or otherwise out of sight.

If you plan on taking your arms out of state, get yourself a lockable case and a lock to be in compliance with interstate travel regs.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Could you define "separate" for me please...

When headed to the range with a handgun, I case the gun (usually a soft zippered case) with no magazine inserted, the ammo and (empty) mags go in a shooting/range bag, and the cased pistol gets put in the bag as well, then the range bag goes in the trunk of my car along with targets etc.

Neither the range bag or the zippered pistol case are locked, the ammo is in boxes or containers of some type, and the mags are usually in a ziplock bag.

I do pretty much the same thing for transporting a rifle to the range, the difference being the cased rifle obviously won't fit in the range bag so it's "separate" by default.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I was just wondering if I should be putting the ammo and mags in one bag, and the cased pistol in another when transporting it to the range.

FWIW, I've never been pulled over by the Police, let alone asked if I have any firearms in the vehicle, but there is always a first time, and i'd like to be doing everything "by the book" as much as possible, should it ever occur.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    NRA-ILA.
    Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

jmg32

Aug 25, 2017
    Could you define "separate" for me please...

When headed to the range with a handgun, I case the gun (usually a soft zippered case) with no magazine inserted, the ammo and (empty) mags go in a shooting/range bag, and the cased pistol gets put in the bag as well, then the range bag goes in the trunk of my car along with targets etc.

Neither the range bag or the zippered pistol case are locked, the ammo is in boxes or containers of some type, and the mags are usually in a ziplock bag.

I do pretty much the same thing for transporting a rifle to the range, the difference being the cased rifle obviously won't fit in the range bag so it's "separate" by default.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I was just wondering if I should be putting the ammo and mags in one bag, and the cased pistol in another when transporting it to the range.

FWIW, I've never been pulled over by the Police, let alone asked if I have any firearms in the vehicle, but there is always a first time, and i'd like to be doing everything "by the book" as much as possible, should it ever occur.

As it was explained to me by my HQL instructor, the handgun just has to be in a case of some sort and the ammo just has to be somewhere else in the car, away from the gun. It was kind of vague but I took it to mean that the ammo just could not be physically with the gun (in the same case). If that's correct, I'd assume your setup, while perfectly safe, may not be totally by the book. I'm clear on the handgun being in a case but am not clear on where the ammo needs to be. Does it also need to be in a case, or can it just be sitting on the car seat if the gun is in a case in the trunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom