• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Guessing they're referring to the p320...

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-your-new-handgun-will-be-a-sig-sauer

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/19/army-picks-sig-sauer-replace-m9-service-pistol.html

Half a decade into its search for a new handgun, the Army has chosen Sig Sauer's version of the Modular Handgun System, according to a Thursday announcement from the Army.

The new sidearm will replace the M9 Beretta, the Army's pistol of choice for more than 30 years.

"I am tremendously proud of the Modular Handgun System team," said Army acquisition executive Steffanie Easter in the release. "By maximizing full and open competition across our industry partners, we have optimized private sector advancements in handguns, ammunition and magazines and the end result will ensure a decidedly superior weapon system for our warfighters."

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think the Glock would have been a better choice, but I'm biased. I feel that any of the finalists would have been better than the M9.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Ouch.
    Enjoy the rest of the show fellas.
    Army weapons officials informed Beretta USA and FN America at SHOT Show 2017 that they had been dropped from the XM17 Modular Handgun System in a recent down-select decision, according to a service source who is not authorized to speak to the press.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have two Sigs and don't know where they're manufactured.
    I'm guessing this is a made in America contract?

Jan 14, 2013
    Millersville, MD
    I like sig better than what they have.... Glock would have been the best. My concern in the Army isn't the caliber, or the model, it is the type of ammo. I have some stories of me and people I know about 9mm and ball ammo. The intention of the rule doesn't become a reality with that particular caliber.

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What's everyone's guess on the optic becoming standard issue? (assuming this is the gun)
    Or is that standard on this gun?

Edit: maybe it is standard.
    The only pistol in its class to include a slide-mounted reflex optic, the ROMEO1, the RX will ensure faster sight acquisition on target. Simply put, it will make a good shooter a great shooter. No other manufacturer offers a pistol with a reflex sight ready to go out of the box. Shoot confidently with faster target acquisition and improved accuracy. Installed. Zeroed. And backed by the quality of the SIG name.

320f-9-bss-rx.jpg

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Wondering how many Article 15s will be given out since there is no dead drop for the hammer. Company grade officers love giving out article 15s for accidental discharges

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have two Sigs and don't know where they're manufactured.

You can check that. German made SIGs (I'm guessing you're not talking about a Swiss P210 here...) will have German proofmarks on them. American made ones won't.

I'm guessing this is a made in America contract?

Almost certainly. Any contract for a military arm will specify that it be made here. That's why Beretta built the Accokeek factory, I think.

I think this is a good choice. The P320 was designed for EXACTLY this kind of thing. "Hand size" isn't a complaint any more, because you can swap grip modules. This will make armorer's lives a lot easier.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can see a certain gun shop/range in the Glen Burnie area rejoicing at this news, "Finally they can start clearing rooms with a REAL gun!", cheesesteaks will be optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom