• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    The court brief, I think, says that he pointed the gun in their direction. That effectively absolves the police of a crime.

Unless it that was caught by a camera, then they claim he pointed the gun in their direction. In that case, maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I'm generally inclined to give the police the benefit of the doubt but in the absence of hard physical evidence backing that claim, we only have the word of the people who did this in the first place for that.

And keep in mind that at a minimum, in the absence of that claim, this is a career-ending situation for them. There's a lot at stake for them so the incentive to tell a story that favors their actions is immensely high.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Still, I think what the homeowner should'a done (to make a potential court case more winnable): 1) ring 911; 2) (from cover inside the house) loudly announce "Police are en route and I'm armed. Stay the **** outta my house. If you breach my door without a search warrant, I will defend myself." Full Stop! Next move's up to whoever's attempting to breach the door.

How are they supposed to show you the warrant unless you answer the door?

Definitely agree with calling 911. At the very least, you'd be able to get some sort of confirmation that it's actually the police who are at your house.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why didn't the officer announce his presence as a police officer?

I also think there are a lot of presumptions in that brief. What would you do in this exact instance. I think after opening the door, I would back up from the front door. How he backed up wasn't explained other than by the officer that shot the man. Objectively, I don't think this was a good shoot.

If the officer was knocking to gain information about the motorcycle's ownership, why would he have his firearm drawn? If he suspected a man with a gun was in the apartment, should he not have announced himself? IANAL but I'm not sure I understand the way things went down in this situation.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    How are they supposed to show you the warrant unless you answer the door?

Definitely agree with calling 911. At the very least, you'd be able to get some sort of confirmation that it's actually the police who are at your house.

JH beat me to it but most police would bang on the door and say they have a warrant which of course they did not have here.

Which I don't get. If you have the house surrounded. Why not get a warrant.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Simple. LE IDs themselves vocally and, then, the homeowner can open the door....or await 911's instructions.;)

I think you'd have to await 911's instructions. Otherwise, how can you trust that the people outside really are the police and not impostors?

If you can see their patrol cars and such, then obviously that gives a higher degree of confidence. But if you can't, then 911 is the only dependable verification method you have that wouldn't put you at substantially heightened risk.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    JH beat me to it but most police would bang on the door and say they have a warrant which of course they did not have here.

Which I don't get. If you have the house surrounded. Why not get a warrant.

Because you need probable cause to get a warrant, I think he might have gone into that house probably is not probable.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    You all make good points.

It absolutely appears to that they only has 'meer suspicion,' as opposed to probable cause.

..and the rest of use are reminded:

- You don't have to, and should not open the door to you domicile if someone, especially the police, are beating on the door

- Never speak to the police without your attorney present; you don't have to answer their questions

- If you do open the door, don't have a weapon in plain view

...and make sure the cameras are recording

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom