• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I use Salomon. They are very light, warm and keep me dry. Under $200. I can't say enough about them.

I love salomon. I own a pair of boots(waterproof version) and shoes. The boots are too hot for me in the summer but I'm pretty sure it's because of the waterproofing. Next pair will be one of the light weight high top style version. The shoes are great also.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I've had good luck with Cabela's brand. They also stand behind their products. For most of my deer hunting though, I use Muck boots.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I love salomon. I own a pair of boots(waterproof version) and shoes. The boots are too hot for me in the summer but I'm pretty sure it's because of the waterproofing. Next pair will be one of the light weight high top style version. The shoes are great also.

They make a very good boot. I own a pair of hiker/walkers. :thumbsup:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I HIGHLY recommend these:
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ated-waterproof-sport-boots-400-gram?a=552713

They're what I have and have used them for about 4 years now without any issues what-so-ever. The waterproofing is long-lasting (it has yet to fail me) and that included tromping through 20' wide streams on ice-cold days in January. It's a waterproof membrane (goretex type material) vs a superficial waterproofing additive. I wear regular socks with them until mid-winter when I switch over to wool. Even then I don't even have to use toe warmers or anything. They're the best thing out there for the money IMHO.
    I got a pair of these last year (except I went with 800gr thinsulate, as I use them for late season hunting when it's cold). Great boots so far for me!

I had a pair of Danner Kestrels that I have all but thrown away. They are Gore-Tex and my feet have never been dry in them. Two years ago I hunted a blind across a grass field in the morning, tagged a deer and headed back around lunch. It was drizzling, so it was damp, the grass was wet, but only about 6" tall. By the time I got back, my feet were frozen.. I took my boots off in the barn (where I undress in the rain before I pack up to head home) and I was standing on a piece of wood in my stocking foot. I left a wet footprint (like I just got out of the pool!) on the wood. I retired them after that and they were only a couple of years old and in great shape. Never kept my feet warm, and I found out why that day.. lol

I wear either rubber boots or Muck boots most of the time when deer hunting and I have a pair of camo high-top sneakers that I will wear in the early bowseason. They are cool and very quiet walking. I do always spray my footwear down before heading out to my stands and I rarely wear any of them (well, except the Mucks) other than on my hunting properties. They come out when I get there, put em on and put them away before I get back in the truck.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess that would have helped. Mostly for deer hunting. I do probably need something for turkey.

So I guess I am barking up the wrong tree on the 7-8" leather/gortex type and I need to find a more comfortable calf high rubber boot?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've used danner acadia for general purpose, kenetrek for steep mountain terrain, old USA made red wing for all purpose and sneakers for dry fleet of foot hunting. Just this past year bought a pair of insulated muck boots. They all serve a purpose and I'm hard on my gear. Buy nice stuff that will last.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since rubbers are best for protection (that's what she said), thoughts on brand type?

These caught my eye. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MM-NEOPRENE-RUBBER-BOOT/1716800.uts

They have good reviews, seem like they have good traction, decent warmth (without being too hot) and most important are relatively light. I have to put my current rubber boots on a scale, but I'd guess close to 6lbs a pair. 4.8lbs a pair sounds like angels pillows for my feet.

Or is the rubber boot thing best practice and it'll make a difference sometime, but isn't necessarily that big a deal most of the time?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Since rubbers are best for protection (that's what she said), thoughts on brand type?

These caught my eye. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MM-NEOPRENE-RUBBER-BOOT/1716800.uts

They have good reviews, seem like they have good traction, decent warmth (without being too hot) and most important are relatively light. I have to put my current rubber boots on a scale, but I'd guess close to 6lbs a pair. 4.8lbs a pair sounds like angels pillows for my feet.

Or is the rubber boot thing best practice and it'll make a difference sometime, but isn't necessarily that big a deal most of the time?

I am pretty much only a deer hunter(except spring turkey). I don't set foot in the deer woods during deer season without them. Deer are used to smelling human in the woods, but they know the difference between "was here two days ago" and "just waked through here an hour ago".

I buy the 1000 gram thinsulate boots that Dick's sells replace them every couple years. They're about $80.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I weighed my current rubber boots. They are 5lbs for the both of them. It looks like there are certainly some pairs that are more like 4.5lbs a pair and probably would fit a little better as well in terms of less movement of my foot in the boot (something meant for hiking/hunting).

I am still kind of thinking of getting a set of more traditional hiking/upland style water proof leather/gortex boots for the times I know I am going to be hiking to hell and back. 2-3 miles in good rubber boots isn't bad, but 5-6 kind of sucks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I weighed my current rubber boots. They are 5lbs for the both of them. It looks like there are certainly some pairs that are more like 4.5lbs a pair and probably would fit a little better as well in terms of less movement of my foot in the boot (something meant for hiking/hunting).

I am still kind of thinking of getting a set of more traditional hiking/upland style water proof leather/gortex boots for the times I know I am going to be hiking to hell and back. 2-3 miles in good rubber boots isn't bad, but 5-6 kind of sucks.

I have put more than that on my rubber boots on major drives. You have your own prioriies. I would suggest you not go by weight, rather go by fit.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    For $29, get a pair of (knockoff) Nam Jungle Boots. You may be surprised.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking at Cabela's instinct Accelerator or LaCrosse Alpha Pull-on 16" boots.

The Cabela's are $30 more, slightly lighter, lifetime guarantee and seem like they might be slightly warmer. The LaCrosse might, maybe be a slightly better fit (no idea without trying!). Also since the LaCrosse would be from BPS, easy to return if I need to. Cabela's is a damn long drive or pay shipping back to them.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Good knee high rubber boots are good for most occasions but have their drawbacks. I wear them sometimes, but here are my 2 pennies on them:

1 - Early season the un-insulated versions work great but your feet will sweat like crazy. The boots are waterproof but your feet will be soaked anyway. If you're in a really wet situation, rubber boots probably are best but bring extra socks.

2 - Some rubber boots smell way too much like a Michelin Tire factory. I hear folks defend the rubber smell saying "at least the deer won't smell human scent". This is a ridiculous statement as pungent rubber smell is certainly a human scent, at a minimum it's a non-naturally occurring smell in the deer's habitat. Heck, if I can smell you from 15 yards away the deer certainly can, and from farther away. Look for a pair that doesn't smell that bad, there are some out there. I found a pair of 1,000 gram Thinsulate from LaCrosse that I have to put almost directly on my nose to smell rubber. They're so heavy and warm I only like to wear them in really cold & snowy conditions, but I do like them.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I've been using these for two years, my wife bought on sale at Costco. Nowhere near MSRP. I didn't think they would work so well but for mid- late season they are great. Only concern in early fall would be they are not that tall to protect from snakes. I wouldn't go wading with them but for sluggin through the morning wet grass/weeds they are great.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US.../Khombu/Brown/Mens+Ryder+Waterproof+Boot.aspx

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    bought danners-usa made for 140 over labor day 400g with composite toe. were over 300. boots like them without thinsulate are on their 3rd year for workwear. soles starting to wear, insides starting to come out. I even wore them to the beach, you forget that you are wearing shoes. almost no break in

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    If you are talking deer hunting boots, there are many brands, but only one style of boot you should wear. Full rubber calf high boots. When you buy them, give them a good scouring with hunting soap(same as what you use in the shower) and a brush to help make them scent free. Keep them out side when not in use and only put them on when you are suiting up where you hunt. Before you leave your hunting grounds, take them off for the ride home. Spray them down each time you hunt.

Something along these lines.

I actually use the exact boot that Outrider58 posted here, its a Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro unlined boot but they make them with insulation as well. I specifically wanted one that came up to my calf and would tighten up. Tried a few others like Muck that were too loose at the top near my calf. I ordered it from a big box store when they were on sale and two boxes showed up after placing one order. Got a call from the wife who was about to kill me when they showed up at the door lol. So with 2 for the price of 1, it looks like I'll be wearing them for quite a long time. They have been great and kept me dry as an area I hunt in can be very muddy at times. They run around $120 or so but can occasionally be found cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom