• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm looking in to getting started in bullet casting. I primarily want to make my own polymer coated bullets for 9mm and 38 spl plinking. Do i need to "harden" soft lead for these loads even with the PC coating applied on them?

Any local sellers of lead around? I prefer to deal local, than to hit up online vendors for hard/soft lead sources.

Any advice on the topic in doing it properly and safely would be welcomed. Thanks

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I recently purchased 80 pounds of lead from Brickman and it's quality stuff. I'm also casting bullets for my 9mm PCC in Ruger and CZ and you'll want some Linotype to mix in with the pure lead in order to bring the hardness up. I tried pure lead and my groups were 5" at 50 yards. I of course slugged my barrel first and sized .001" over for the first trial and .002" over for the second and it didn't help. I'm powder coating them as well but the bullet just wouldn't fly true.

I then sourced some linotype and started mixing. I found once my lead hardness was just shy of Lymans #2 the groups shrank drastically and I was stacking them at 50 yards. Once I saw potential I loaded up a ladder ranging from 3.8-4.2 grains of Power Pistol and I'll give those a shot (pun intended) tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pure lead is pretty much for black powder only.

For most centerfire, you need to add some antimony and tin to make a harder alloy. You can buy Lyman #2, or mix lead and linotype to make about the same.

When I started casting, I was casting pure linotype, but at the time, I could get linotype at 35 cents per pound at most any scrap metal dealer.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

This is Not always the case. Lots of things come into play here. Barrel twist rates, bullet fit, velocity, etc.

Powder coating, has become a game changer, using pure lead. I’ve pushed Plain based pure lead bullets in 45-70 to over 1,700 FPS, with no leading, and still get good accuracy.
    Pure lead bullets in 7.62x54 I’ve pushed to about that same velocity of 1,700 FPS. Once again no issues, and still have good accuracy. I do use a gas check on these though.

I reload and cast for 38 special and 45 colt, both of these calibers aren’t what you call fast. Powder coated pure plain based bullets, are working just fine for me, here as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tip for the OP , if you have a local source of pure lead, jump on it . Then used the internet for hardening alloys if desired .

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Not to mention pure lead under a paper patch. The old timey bullet jacket from before metal jackets were cool.

Paper patching is time consuming, but many find that’s it well worth the effort. I have never done it, but know a few good friends that swear by it.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Tip for the OP , if you have a local source of pure lead, jump on it . Then used the internet for hardening alloys if desired .

Agreed! One thing I’d like to add. Buy your lead and hardening alloys from a trusted source, and someone who has their lead/alloys Analyzed.
    That way, you know your Exact Alloy so you can repeat it, every time you make up a batch.

Here’s a picture of my pure lead analysis

Attachments

• 1770A6D3-84E6-48DE-AAFC-C2A88325747B.jpg
      1770A6D3-84E6-48DE-AAFC-C2A88325747B.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 106

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Here’s the reading, of the sheet lead I sell. As you can see, it contains, a small amount of tin. Tin is a great thing to add to your alloys. It helps fill out the molds, and adds a very small amount of hardness.
    Some people want a small amount of tin in there alloys.

This picture proves the old myth that sheet lead is pure lead. I’ve never seen sheet lead that is pure.
    Sheet lead is definitely soft, but not pure.

Attachments

• D74D2DB7-0498-4620-AC16-5B9EE7631B2E.jpg
      D74D2DB7-0498-4620-AC16-5B9EE7631B2E.jpg
      13.8 KB · Views: 109

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

For most centerfire, you need to add some antimony and tin to make a harder alloy. You can buy Lyman #2, or mix lead and linotype to make about the same.

When I started casting, I was casting pure linotype, but at the time, I could get linotype at 35 cents per pound at most any scrap metal dealer.

Pinecone, here’s a picture of my 100 yard target I shot today. 4 shot group, I pulled one, like always, and ruined my group.
    Pure lead powder coated 341 grain 45-70 at a average of 1690 FPS. No leading, and very accurate.

Attachments

• C2A66A94-C01B-427C-92D3-DF8F2D372F6D.jpg
      C2A66A94-C01B-427C-92D3-DF8F2D372F6D.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 108

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Paper patching is time consuming, but many find that’s it well worth the effort. I have never done it, but know a few good friends that swear by it.

After a few hundred, you get pretty fast at it. The trick to speed is to set up a good board for rolling the patches on, and a good method of cutting the patches.

My .45-70 paper patch load throws 500 grains of lead as fast as I can push it with no leading. My barrel likes 3 layers of Simplicity dress pattern paper for the wrap. Old patterns work better. I always get strange looks buying dress patterns at garage sales. :lol2:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My .45-70 paper patch load throws 500 grains of lead as fast as I can push it with no leading. My barrel likes 3 layers of Simplicity dress pattern paper for the wrap. Old patterns work better. I always get strange looks buying dress patterns at garage sales. :lol2:

, I know the feeling. I’ve gotten strange looks when I’ve gone to the fabric store, looking for just the right fabric for patching my round balls for my muzzleloaders. Even found some great material for making cleaning patches, one time as well

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone, here’s a picture of my 100 yard target I shot today. 4 shot group, I pulled one, like always, and ruined my group.
    Pure lead powder coated 341 grain 45-70 at a average of 1690 FPS. No leading, and very accurate.

Cool.

Hmm, I am thinking a pure lead 220 grain bullet for .300 BO subs.

I wonder if anyone has tested this.

Yes, doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom