• Musa

Mar 27, 2020
    I’m looking for someone to
    Help zero in red dot scope on AR15

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Also a laser may help. I had a lot of issues with my red dot. The laser helped me get it where it needed to be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    If you already have a zero for your iron sights, you could adjust your red dot so that it rests just on the tip of your front sight.

A laser boresighter or collimator (https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/optics_st_collimator_200904/100118) will get you in the ballpark but it really takes a trip to the range to do a real zero. And that is problematic right now.

When you do get to the range, there are targets that make zeroing a lot easier, similar to the YouTube video with the grid on the whiteboard.

Recommend you download the "1 in squares with grid.pdf" for zeroing at 25 yards from this page: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9833.0

Ton of other good options there as well for zeroing iron sights or at different ranges.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I used a laser bore sight on my AR-15 and centered the scope. That was enough to get the rounds on the target. Then take it to the range for fine tuning. If you are in Montgomery County, I can help and you can use our range as my guest.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Even sans laser you can get close manually bore sighting by just popping off the upper and looking through the upper.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yep- zero to understand the relationship that occurs when the line of aim and the line of departure are parallel both vertically and horizontally to the bore until the bullet strikes below point of aim a distance equal to the height the rear sight is above the bore plus the amount the bullet drops to gravity at a specific distance.

Capture.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To get it on the paper, take off the upper (assuming AR). Remove BCG.

Set up the upper on some bags, so that looking through the barrel, you are aimed at some mark, at least 25 yards away.

Adjust red dot to point at the same mark.

At the range, fire one round at a target. I normally use 25 yards. Pull the upper off again, and prop up, so that the red dot is aimed at the target. Without moving the upper, adjust the red dot to point at the bullet hole.

If you want a 36 yard zero, adjust the red dot to point about 3/4 inch BELOW the bullet hole. This is for 55 grain bullet at 2900 fps.

Shoot at your desired Zero range. You should be very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom