• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Now that my wife and I are retired giving some thought to returning to fishing. I haven't fished for 30 years. Been thinking in terms of local reservoirs (Liberty, Prettyboy, Loch Raven). I don't have a boat (nor do I really want one). Thinking in terms of fishing from not to difficult access points to fish from the bank (my wife has some minor mobility issues). I'd welcome any pointers from anyone in the know in terms of locations, equipment, lures. etc.
    Thanks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Start simple with two $50 rod/reel combos, a few pre-tied hook, a bag of swivels and some weights and have a couple fun outings. I don't know about those specific areas, but I often catch lots of catfish with my sons for fun in the Potomac just using a #4 hook and one or two 4oz weights depending on the wave action. Bacon or chicken is good cheap bait that works. Wait for a warmer day when they're feeding more. This is a great resource where you might find info on bass fishing spots like the fresh water lakes you mentioned: http://www.charlietaylorfishing.com/fishing_report.htm

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Nothing has really changed in 30 years.
    The internet might tell you there is new gear and tactics but it’s the same stuff from 30 years ago repackaged.
    Have fun and don’t overthink it.
    (Sorry I have no input on shoreline access points at the water you referenced)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thinking about the same thing. Sold my bass boat a few years back and hadn't done any freshwater fishing since. First time I hadn't had a fishing license since the 70s.

I ordered some new fly line for my 4w. Think I'll see what kind of shape Big Hunting is in these days. I used to 'live' on that stream. Still have tons of flies. I used to tie for all the local fly shops back in the day.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Liberty and loc raven have bridges to fish from, also easy trails to get to something a little more private.

I live on liberty, and my wife and I go a few evenings a year to fish, if we catch (and release) anything we're happy it's just something relaxing on the water we do together and i only have dicks sporting goods quality rods and we have fun even though we have no idea what we're really doing.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    If interested in Bay/River fishing now is the worst possible time to get back into it. The Rockfish population is way down and DNR has completed closed April fishing when the largest fish enter the bay and rivers to spawn. Additionally they are currently deciding on what to do with the hot summer months like July and August when the mortality rates skyrocket due to lack of oxygen in the water. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see a complete moratorium on targeting rockfish in the next year.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Liberty reservoir has a bridge at Deer Park that is very popular with fisherman. Plenty of parking at the Carroll county side and a separate walkway fenced from car traffic. I’ve never fished that area but read about it on some of the Facebook sites when searching.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Now that my wife and I are retired giving some thought to returning to fishing. I haven't fished for 30 years. Been thinking in terms of local reservoirs (Liberty, Prettyboy, Loch Raven). I don't have a boat (nor do I really want one). Thinking in terms of fishing from not to difficult access points to fish from the bank (my wife has some minor mobility issues). I'd welcome any pointers from anyone in the know in terms of locations, equipment, lures. etc.
    Thanks.

My Toy-for shore fishing maybe start off with local small ponds to get your feet wet(bad pun and proud of it) that way if you do catch a bit of the skunk you haven't spent all day walking a huge body of water and get tired and frustrated. Walking the entire shoreline of a smaller pond will give you better odds of hooking up and getting back in the swing of things.

Thinking about the same thing. Sold my bass boat a few years back and hadn't done any freshwater fishing since. First time I hadn't had a fishing license since the 70s.

I ordered some new fly line for my 4w. Think I'll see what kind of shape Big Hunting is in these days. I used to 'live' on that stream. Still have tons of flies. I used to tie for all the local fly shops back in the day.

outrider58- I've got some local honey holes to us here in MoCo that if you want to check out this spring/summer with me either shore fishing or testing out my refurbished jon-boat just hit me up and I will get you locations and good times to go.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My Toy-for shore fishing maybe start off with local small ponds to get your feet wet(bad pun and proud of it) that way if you do catch a bit of the skunk you haven't spent all day walking a huge body of water and get tired and frustrated. Walking the entire shoreline of a smaller pond will give you better odds of hooking up and getting back in the swing of things.

outrider58- I've got some local honey holes to us here in MoCo that if you want to check out this spring/summer with me either shore fishing or testing out my refurbished jon-boat just hit me up and I will get you locations and good times to go.

Subscribed

I will definitely be in touch. Thanks!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Nothing has really changed in 30 years.
    The internet might tell you there is new gear and tactics but it’s the same stuff from 30 years ago repackaged.
    Have fun and don’t overthink it.
    (Sorry I have no input on shoreline access points at the water you referenced)

Marketing geniuses and the "repackaging". Ugh.

Ticks. Ticks have changed. As a mountain biker, (retired), ticks were a concern and the occasional rides now days I keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom