• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone made one? I don;t like the cheap one Cabelas and other sells. Small and weak. Plus I have been told the faucet is cheap.

I bought a island laminated top for $20 on Marketplace last year and now my son's friend found us a small sink on a construction site with a faucet. It's like a big bar sink maybe, 15" deep and 17" wide?

The plan right now is to build new legs for the island top I acquired last year. I put old table legs on it to get through this last winter. I am going to use these locking hinges for the folding legs for each side. One leg might be narrower than the other so it can fold inside the other legs.

61nhYtTtm8L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

The narrow legs will probably have these leaf/shelf support brackets installed on them to support and fold up platform for the sink. The table will be the same height as my kitchen island so it we want to expand that for crabs we can. We have 8 total bar stools.

71VGmmN036L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The fold up sink shelf can be left down if we decide to use it as a table in the house and up if I want to drop the sink in it. I can stick the sink in the garage attic as I have a pull down stairs in it.

More to come as I actually build it. I'm sure they will be some mistakes and progresses to report. ;) The parts should arrive Friday, but Momma has me probably getting 2 yards of dirt to fix gardens and 7 yards of mulch this weekend.

Any initial thought or plans any of you might suggest?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Well, true 'butcher block' is end grain NOT edge or face grain. Most of what is marketed as 'butcher block' isn't. The end grain can with stand compression better without undue marking taking place. One swipe with a knife on edge or face grain and it's there staring back at you for years.
    Good luck and keep the board up to date with photos and commentary.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Take a look at PVC 4x8 sheathing. It would make a great affordable, sterilizeable and replaceable top.

I build these tables to make my custom rugs on(I'll get a pic up when I can). They can hold thousand lb rolls of carpet. Each leg is held on by 4 drywall screws. They're rock solid.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Take a look at PVC 4x8 sheathing. It would make a great affordable, sterilizeable and replaceable top.

I build these tables to make my custom rugs on(I'll get a pic up when I can). They can hold thousand lb rolls of carpet. Each leg is held on by 4 drywall screws. They're rock solid.

Be careful with the drywall screws as they don’t have any sheer strength.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I bought stainless lowering brackets for some tables i made for a customer . They were for wood shop tables we made from aluminum tubing

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am using a Laminated island top. No butcher block or starcraft board or anything. Knives will not be used on the table and cutting boards will be brought out. I'd consider other things, but I have this top now on old table legs that are to short to stand and work at.

I bought stainless lowering brackets for some tables i made for a customer . They were for wood shop tables we made from aluminum tubing

That would be nice, but I am sure would exceed the budget my wife would allow. She tells me I spend too much money now. But my "crafts" cost way less than her diner out treats.

I'm just looking for other points of perspective on the thought process. You know how you get half way into a project and are like "She-it, I should have done that. Now I get to change it all." I'm trying to avoid some of that since I can't find anything online similar to what I want.

I want to pluck or butcher chickens and deer on the table. deer to roasts and large grindage pieces. Wash in the sink and toss into meat lugs for later cleaner processing in the kitchen.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It is not exactly what you need but somebody else may like this stainless steel commercial kitchen prep&work table:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAHSD9Y/

I got one 4 years ago, have to admit it was only $200 at that time. They have smaller ones as well.
    And if anyone needs a larger one I have a brand new "scratch & dent" model I need to get rid of. It's 96" x 30".

Also have a new worktable with sink that is also brand new and unblemished.

7d11ff23c9c71a27e73f7e062bca9f8a.jpg
    90c5370171e5c439b3a6abc0b94713fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I got it working, still need to make a blog post with all the stuff and YT video of the process.

Embedding video from Vimeo not working with the YT brackets. How do you use them? Embeded code doesn't work either.

The shelf for the sink
    https://vimeo.com/397319642

and the sink working
    https://vimeo.com/398789801

Full link to the blog and youtube video putting it together at the bottom.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    FWIMBW we used to use the Sink cutouts from the old laminated counter tops. That are typically much larger than a cutting board, they take lots and lots of abuse and they clean up very easy. I’m guessing that with so many granite, etc counter tops nowadays, there not so many laminated cutouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom