• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    Hello,

If I am transporting a shotgun in a compact car with both rear seats folded down, do I need to store the shotgun in a locked case as well as the ammo in separate locked case?

Is it ok to have the ammo in the trunk? The gun case is so long that it goes all the way from the back of the car to right behind the drivers seat so I am unsure where the most legal place is to store the ammo and if one or both need to be locked (ammo and/or shotgun).

Thanks for the help.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In Maryland, long guns need only be unloaded. No requirement to lock in trunk, lock ammo, transport barrels in seperate vehicle, etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct on the last two responses. That said, if it COULD be visible through the windows, I’d put it in some kind of a case, or at least cover it with a blanket or something. Even if you aren’t leaving it in the vehicle unattended. Traffic stop is a bit easier when the cop isn’t eyeing the shotgun on your back seats.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agree that out of sight is good.

But INSIDE MD, all it has to be is unloaded.

If you transport through states, either the shotgun or the ammo would have to be in a locked case. This is under the requirements for FOPA 86, and only applies for transit through states.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Agree that out of sight is good.

But INSIDE MD, all it has to be is unloaded.

If you transport through states, either the shotgun or the ammo would have to be in a locked case. This is under the requirements for FOPA 86, and only applies for transit through states.

When traveling interstate, you would only need to travel according to FOPA when traveling through local jurisdictions that have stricter laws than the FOPA allowances.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I would break the shotgun down and cover it with a blanket. (separate the barrel from the receiver)
    Only takes 5 minutes to break down or assemble any shotgun I have ever seen.
    If you get stopped by someone who does not understand the law, the gun is disassembled and unable to be shot that way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When traveling interstate, you would only need to travel according to FOPA when traveling through local jurisdictions that have stricter laws than the FOPA allowances.

Not exactly. If the local jurisdiction is less strict that FOPA, you can meet their requirements. Or you can meet FOPA

But if the local jurisdiction is stricter than FOPA, meeting FOPA is sufficient.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Throw it in the back(unloaded)...cover it... drive like you have some sense(even if you don't)... Safe travels...

We really need a bumper sticker... 'End BGOS Now'... if nothing else, it would get people askin'.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Come on. Everyone knows to fold down those sights while in transport. Those things are pointy and could poke your eye out if there was some type of collision.

Be safe.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I carry a GI (real ones are getting harder to find though) poncho in my and the wife's vehicles to conceal anything of interest or value in the back seat. Especially through tinted windows, it just looks like a nondescript pile of...whatever. Also, sometimes it's just handy to have a good poncho :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom