• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well well well I wonder if the top brass at NYC and mabe the very anti Ag's of kommi kali, Non free state md, rotten NJ and stupid como of nystate plus conn are wondering what if the mentions that G&S is unconstitutional the scotus agrees with him plus all the other stupid laws they had as well.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    . . . are wondering what if the mentions that G&S is unconstitutional the scotus agrees with him . . .

If good & sufficient becomes unconstitutional (eg, if subjectiveness is removed from the licensing process), how might that affect national reciprocity?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    imho, any state that says g&s for it's own citizens now, should a court decide that's unconstitutional, will still deny non residents the right to carry there.

their logic would be, "we MUST give to our own citizens the right, but we'll be damned if we'll give them to anyone else."

just like speech, religion, searching, imprisonment, and such things, the right to carry only applies in your own state. if you're visiting another state, you give those rights up.

and lest someone miss it... /sarc...

If good & sufficient becomes unconstitutional (eg, if subjectiveness is removed from the licensing process), how might that affect national reciprocity?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    imho, any state that says g&s for it's own citizens now, should a court decide that's unconstitutional, will still deny non residents the right to carry there.

their logic would be, "we MUST give to our own citizens the right, but we'll be damned if we'll give them to anyone else."

just like speech, religion, searching, imprisonment, and such things, the right to carry only applies in your own state. if you're visiting another state, you give those rights up.

and lest someone miss it... /sarc...

Thankfully, that would fall under Hicklin v Orbeck (1978) and Supreme Court of New Hampshire v Piper (1985), where the state must show that the non-residents are "a peculiar source of the evil," and the statute must be narrowly tailored against their misdeeds (Hicklin), so if carry were found a right, those that do not issue to non-residents would get the smackdown very quickly.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think the best way to get their is take metro and get off at Union Station and walk to SCOTUS which is about mabe 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. That way you do not have to worry about parking in downtown dc. I plan to leave here around 6:30am and I know I will have to do some waiting and hopes it does not rain that day..

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I think the best way to get their is take metro and get off at Union Station and walk to SCOTUS which is about mabe 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. That way you do not have to worry about parking in downtown dc. I plan to leave here around 6:30am and I know I will have to do some waiting and hopes it does not rain that day..

For a BOR case like this, you'll need to be there earlier to get a seat in the gallery for the entire argument. The law school students will crowd you out. There are only 50 seats for the entire argument and 30 3-minute-interval rotating seats IIRC.

4am via Uber would be better, the first Metro was too late for McDonald for me.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    very quickly.

Sorry but I found this part comical.

So .... hoping for an answer on this one in June 2020? Eventually the meaning of the COTUS will be defined by our current SCOTUS. Wow, this has been debated for many years now, reminds me of Pelosi saying "we must pass it to find out what is in it." ... a country still trying to figure it out.
    Don't quote me so I can delete the post, doesn't sound good after reading it but 1A, "if you can keep it" - Franklin.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Since the Solicitor General has been allocated argument time, will they now file a brief on the merits? Their last brief was at the cert stage in May.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Since the Solicitor General has been allocated argument time, will they now file a brief on the merits? Their last brief was at the cert stage in May.

I think you need to look at the dates again.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-280.html

The cert stage briefs were due on 9 Oct 2018 for those supporting the petitioners and the case was granted cert on 22 Jan 2019. The brief submitted by the Solicitor General on 14 May 2019 was a brief on the merits.

Pope414

IMHO i think the Solicitor General`s request for time is a good thing . The Trump Admin. has stated it`s pro-2A also it is for an originalists interpretation of the Bill of Rights..... So if he states Heller as an affirm on the right to "bear arms" that's good. also I think Noel Fransisco might still be a tad salty after the left torpedoed his SCOTUS nom. back in the day along with their letter threatening the court.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Probably would give a big push in Congress to finally get this done. But I don't think SCOTUS would rule a state had to recognize another's so long as their permit was available to non-residents.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    What about marriage licenses?

If all you have to do is move to another state instead of getting divorced?

You can see other people while on vacation?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What about marriage licenses?

If all you have to do is move to another state instead of getting divorced?

You can see other people while on vacation?

At least on your last, states like countries can control their citizens behavior when not at home. Thus if your state makes infidelity a crime, Doesn’t matter if you are in your home state when it happens. US criminalizes underage sex out of the US.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom