• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What would be a good choice for a C&R snub nose revolver? 38 Special preferred.

Wife asked me for "something small" to keep in her night stand in case she is unable to get to the 12 gauge I keep for some reason.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I like the S&W Model 40. It's a Centennial model, with a concealed hammer. The original "point and click" interface.

If you get one with a grip safety, you can pin it down with a short length of wire. Just pop the grips off. There's a hole in the grip frame for exactly that reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Centennial

Last edited:

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I know you specifically asked for C&R, but IMO, defensive guns should be functional as well as inexpensive, with little or no historical value. Odds are pretty high that if used for their intended purpose, you will never see that gun again or the price of recovering it from an evidence room will be far higher than the value of the gun.

For a self defense revolver my choice would be a Ruger SP101 2.25", chambered for .357 Mag. Load it with whatever .38 Spl +P+ JHP you like. Get a Wolff Spring kit for it to get the trigger pull where you like it, and shoot a lot of targets from contact to 3 yards.

Good luck finding what you want. I pray you or your wife never need it.

Be safe.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I know you specifically asked for C&R, but IMO, defensive guns should be functional as well as inexpensive, with little or no historical value. Odds are pretty high that if used for their intended purpose, you will never see that gun again or the price of recovering it from an evidence room will be far higher than the value of the gun.

For a self defense revolver my choice would be a Ruger SP101 2.25", chambered for .357 Mag. Load it with whatever .38 Spl +P+ JHP you like. Get a Wolff Spring kit for it to get the trigger pull where you like it, and shoot a lot of targets from contact to 3 yards.

Good luck finding what you want. I pray you or your wife never need it.

Be safe.

I've got a used K38 police trade in which while C&R is pretty cosmetically rough but mechanically perfect. It's just bigger than she wants to deal with.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think most stainless ones will be newer than 50 years. No HQL so I need something 50 years or older

Yeah, I think the only C&R stainless would be the 60 introduced in 1965. The next stainless revolver that S&W did was the 64, which they introduced in 1970.

I've seen factory 2" barrel 10s and M&Ps in the $350-500 range in recent months, depending on condition. The 36s are about in the same range. Colt Detective Specials are stupid money now.

Is her issue the grip size or the weight? If it's the grip size, full size K frames can come in round butt too.

There's a 1968 Charter Arms Undercover for $325 on VA Armslist. The listing is still live, so I don't know if it's still available.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/10591...arms-undercover-model-138-2-1968-original-box

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yeah, I think the only C&R stainless would be the 60 introduced in 1965. The next stainless revolver that S&W did was the 64, which they introduced in 1970.

I've seen factory 2" barrel 10s and M&Ps in the $350-500 range in recent months, depending on condition. The 36s are about in the same range. Colt Detective Specials are stupid money now.

If she's not carrying it, does it have to be a snub nose?

There's a 1968 Charter Arms Undercover for $325 on VA Armslist. The listing is still live, so I don't know if it's still available.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/10591...arms-undercover-model-138-2-1968-original-box

Guess it doesn't necessarily need to be. I know she prefers the smaller grip size which seems to accompany many snub nose wheel guns though. She has small hands.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt Detective Special...the quintessential detective piece. Six round capacity...well proven...well made. They can also be found with 3" barrels but due to being uncommon they're more expensive. The Colt Cobra and Agents are excellent choices as well but being aluminum framed will exhibit more felt recoil. I used to carry a Cobra off-duty...great carry piece.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    For a small nightstand gun a 3 inch barrel S&W 36 comes to mind. The three inch barrel goes for a premium over the 2 inch, and is much less common but shoots and feels better to me.

Any snub nose is kind of a handful to shot if your wife doesn't practice with it. If it's not too big for her, a 4 inch model 10 makes a real nice night stand gun. I found a slightly scruffy S&W 10-5 pencil barrel on Gunbroker for the high $200's recently. "C" prefix Model 10's are C&R.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Why a revolver when they are limited in capacity, take more training to manipulate proficiently than a semi, and why something old and used? Not too mention .38 terminal ballistics suck..

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Why a revolver when they are limited in capacity, take more training to manipulate proficiently than a semi, and why something old and used? Not too mention .38 terminal ballistics suck..

At close range a .38 will kill you just as dead as a .45. If she can handle a .38 well, why go with something bigger? Just sayin'...

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Colt Detective Special...the quintessential detective piece. Six round capacity...well proven...well made. They can also be found with 3" barrels but due to being uncommon they're more expensive. The Colt Cobra and Agents are excellent choices as well but being aluminum framed will exhibit more felt recoil. I used to carry a Cobra off-duty...great carry piece.

This and this.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    3" J-frames or 3" Colts; in deciding, it's probably a good idea to have the prospective user evaluate which grips work best for her. The Colt grips are somewhat different in shape. fro the Smiths.

I suppose aftermarket adaptations could be found if indicated.

LOWRIDER60

Jan 23, 2011
    Kent Island
    C&R for women...

How about an old school Iver Johnson or H&R hammerless in 38 S&W ?

Attachments

• 2016_03200027.jpg
      2016_03200027.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 211

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    Model 10 with a short barrel. Or a chopped one for $150.
    2” M10/64 or M&P for the win.
    Much easier to shoot well than the five shot Js and cheaper than a vintage Colt D frame.
    2” barrel is harder to forcibly take away from the user in a struggle.
    ‘49 M&P pictured with period Western ammo.

Attachments

• 334E5078-EE6F-4EE2-86AB-E70E794A46BD.jpg
      334E5078-EE6F-4EE2-86AB-E70E794A46BD.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 217

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads