What is the penalty for failure to register regulated firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Simple question but didnt garner any attention in my other thread...

What is the crime committed if I fail to transfer a regulated firearm through MSP or a FFL? What is the penalty?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I can't answer your question but if you're losing sleep over it then you may want to register it or move somewhere this is not a problem.
    Or maybe the friend you're asking this question for should consider these options.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I can't answer your question but if you're losing sleep over it then you may want to register it or move somewhere this is not a problem.
    Or maybe the friend you're asking this question for should consider these options.

There are plenty of other reasons to ask. Maybe if the penalty is negligible, some people might choose to ignore the law. Regardless, it’s worth knowing the answer.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    According to this source 10 years in the pokey. And also says that it's a federal offense as well.

https://www.maronicklaw.com/blog/2017/august/what-are-the-penalties-in-maryland-for-possessio/

According to Maryland law on possession of an unregistered firearm, possessing any destructive device, including a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle or silencer can result in 10 years in prison without parole.

Federal law also calls for penalties for unregistered firearms. Section 36 of the National Firearms Act states that “a person must not sell, purchase, possess or use a firearm that is not registered.” The maximum penalty for an unregistered firearms charge is 10 years imprisonment if the firearm is a prohibited firearm or pistol or five years imprisonment in any other case.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Not losing any sleep at all. I'm 100% legal. Just trying to answer a question which I've often wondered

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    According to this source 10 years in the pokey. And also says that it's a federal offense as well.

https://www.maronicklaw.com/blog/2017/august/what-are-the-penalties-in-maryland-for-possessio/

That is for NFA items....supressors, SBS, SBR, and full auto.

I think the OP was talking about things like unregistered handguns...of which, possession of an unregistered handguns is NOT illegal, by MD or federal law.

If it was, constructing an 80% handgun, such as a polymer 80 or an 80% AR pistol would be illegal.

Additionally, for people who moved to MD, registration was not compulsory until October 2013, and people who owned unregistered handguns prior to that were grandfathered in.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ionBureau/LicensingDivision/Registration.aspx

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I think the OP was talking about things like unregistered handguns...of which, possession of an unregistered handguns is NOT illegal, by MD or federal law.

If it was, constructing an 80% handgun, such as a polymer 80 or an 80% AR pistol would be illegal.

Additionally, for people who moved to MD, registration was not compulsory until October 2013, and people who owned unregistered handguns prior to that were grandfathered in.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ionBureau/LicensingDivision/Registration.aspx

Correct, I'm asking about regulated firearms under maryland law. Handguns, AKs, etc.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    An 81% IS a firearm, in the eyes of the law. An 80% is not.

This may not be the case but from Stovemans post:
    "According to Maryland law on possession of an unregistered firearm, possessing any destructive device, including a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle or silencer can result in 10 years in prison without parole.

Federal law also calls for penalties for unregistered firearms. Section 36 of the National Firearms Act states that “a person must not sell, purchase, possess or use a firearm that is not registered.” The maximum penalty for an unregistered firearms charge is 10 years imprisonment if the firearm is a prohibited firearm or pistol or five years imprisonment in any other case."

Does an 81% fit into this firearm category?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    HTF is the average citizen supposed to make sense of all this BS?

I know, we’re not supposed to, we’re just supposed to grin and bear it when we take it up the ass from the state of Maryland when we trip over one of their little booby traps for gun owners.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Perhaps this is the answer:

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2016/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/section-5-144/

2016 Maryland Code
    Public Safety
    Title 5 - Firearms
    Subtitle 1 - Regulated Firearms
    § 5-144. Knowing participation in violation of subtitle
    Universal Citation: MD Pub Safety Code § 5-144 (2016)
    (a) Prohibited. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a dealer or other person may not:

(1) knowingly participate in the illegal sale, rental, transfer, purchase, possession, or receipt of a regulated firearm in violation of this subtitle; or

(2) knowingly violate § 5-142 of this subtitle.

(b) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $ 10,000 or both.

(c) Separate crime. -- Each violation of this section is a separate crime.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I know, we’re not supposed to, we’re just supposed to grin and bear it when we take it up the ass from the state of Maryland when we trip over one of their little booby traps for gun owners.

The way I gather it is this

Registration is voluntary. If you don't volunteer your transfer is denied. But if there is no penalty for failing to register what compels me to go through MSP at all? Well the law says you must. Yes but the law provides no penalty so therefore is toothless.

Shouldve put this in the WC

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County

Also prior to Oct 1996, face to face sale of handguns was still legal with no requirement to register.

AACO_Salami

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2019

They aren't. They're supposed to slip up and be made an example of. That'll scare off potential new gun owners, that's the game plan.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    This may not be the case but from Stovemans post:
    "According to Maryland law on possession of an unregistered firearm, possessing any destructive device, including a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle or silencer can result in 10 years in prison without parole.

Federal law also calls for penalties for unregistered firearms. Section 36 of the National Firearms Act states that “a person must not sell, purchase, possess or use a firearm that is not registered.” The maximum penalty for an unregistered firearms charge is 10 years imprisonment if the firearm is a prohibited firearm or pistol or five years imprisonment in any other case."

Does an 81% fit into this firearm category?

If that is what the website says then it is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom