• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Your question is rhetorical, because this scenario has already happened and it was a bloodbath. See U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865. Before anyone chimes in and says that the Confederacy was a foreign country, that is not true from the Union point of view. The Confederate States were considered to be "in rebellion against the United States". The US government did not acknowledge them as an independant country.

I don't have the exact number, but half or more of the 1860-61 US Army officer corps sided with the Confederacy. I don't have any numbers for enlisted or non-coms.

My point is that while some left, others stayed. Not everyone currently wearing the uniform is a die hard constitutionalist, pro-2A, or libertarian.

This is not a knock on the men and women wearing the uniform, just, IMO, the breakdown of the demographic.

+1. truth.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Hey boats, how is the trigger on that? How tight are the groups? I've heard the bullpups have heavy/non-consistent triggers. I have owned an M1a and had an EBR stock and it's groups weren't as tight as I'd like. Although this is coming from a national guard infantryman who has shot two seprate 3 round groups with an issued M-4 with military grade ammo and had all 6 rounds touching each other.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Hey boats, how is the trigger on that? How tight are the groups? I've heard the bullpups have heavy/non-consistent triggers. I have owned an M1a and had an EBR stock and it's groups weren't as tight as I'd like. Although this is coming from a national guard infantryman who has shot two seprate 3 round groups with an issued M-4 with military grade ammo and had all 6 rounds touching each other.

I' m surprised that you do not like the M1A-EBR.. as you can see, My avatar smiley face has been shot by one. It groups 1/2 " consistently at 100 yards using Military ammo. My EBRs are some of the most accutate rifles in my collection.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Maybe I just suck with EBRs.(shrug) Could have something to do with it having a 16 inch barrel but I doubt that had a whole lot to do with it. I sold it for 3 grand so I can buy an OBR in the same caliber so I feel like it's a win.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    I change my answer to an mp5sd. Light, reliable, accurate, nice rof (follow up shots what?), and probably the most readily available/findable ammo even after SHTF. If you're staked out in a building you won't necessarily need the range of the larger rifle calibers, and if you're on the move, that's less weight to carry for more ammo

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Coming in late on this thread, I haven't read all the responses. (And don't really have the time right now to do so.)

We live in individual homes, very close to the city line. But not what I would potentially consider "no man's land". There are only a handful of streets leading into our neighborhood. So, even though we're not out in the sticks, we are "off the beaten path".

I have a highpoint scoped out near by, in case neighborhood defence becomes an issue.

That said..

Wife and I have several assorted handguns (2) 9mms, .45, and a .380.

I have an AR15 if street level defense becomes an issue.

Geese, believe it or not, are plentiful within walking distance in the spring and fall, So I have a Remington mod. 11

I have a scoped Winchester 22 for small game like squirrel, opossum, stay cats, (WHAT?!), and stealth if necessary.

And for now, if it were to happen tomorrow, a 30-30 for distance.

I also have a couple more shotguns as a last resort, or possible barter.

On my current "short list" is something (don't know what yet, but am open to suggestions) with a good scope so, I can neutralize a potential threat (before it becomes a threat), and a 12 GA pump for up close and personal stuff.

(Edit: Just bought a Mossy 500!)

(Off topic, but still relevant in an extended SHTF scenario.. I live within walking distance of several areas to catch fish. So, part of my plan is to pick up a few fishing rods and an assortment of tackle.)

Last edited:

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    The best weapon in any situation is the one you have in your hand when you need one.

As for SHTF, it's too broad, and covers way too many situations.. Gov/Economic collapse, Zombies, Race War, Civil War etc etc..

While there is no perfect (one-size-fits-all) weapon, I assume everyone is making choices based on what is in their collection.

With that said, we don't know what the SHTF situation is, so it has to be a generally well rounded, and multi-purpose firearm.

Forget AKs (7.62x39) all you fan boys, while you might know a few buddies or forum members that have them, you are not going to find this ammo just laying around during SHTF.

As most have mentioned a good hunting caliber would be a good choice, but a long rifle or even bolt action wouldn't be my first choice either.

I want something that has range (couple of hundred yards), and something I can use for CQB.
    It also has to be light, have firepower, and easy to find more ammo.

So I would honestly have to grab my 14.5" AR.

It's not too short like other SBR AR's, so it has range, and it's not too long or heavy (20" AR) that I can use it for CQB.

You can also break down an AR upper/lower to fit in a backpack to conceal.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents :)

Sirex