• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    next month, I'll be spending time in many developing countries for multiple medical missions. Some places will be remote and infested with pirates, Abu sayyaf, Terrorist, gangs.... I will be packing my trusty Glock18. I can also borrow an M4 or AK( type 56) from the local Military.

tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    I have only one requirement for a SHTF firearm:

Availability of ammo.

Any other issues I would overcome with cleaning, maintenance, makeshift repairs, good shot placement, etc.

Tom

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    next month, I'll be spending time in many developing countries for multiple medical missions. Some places will be remote and infested with pirates, Abu sayyaf, Terrorist, gangs.... I will be packing my trusty Glock18. I can also borrow an M4 or AK( type 56) from the local Military.

make sure you take lots of pics of guns and pretty girls :party29:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Got something better in mind... If customs will allow it... I'll bring you back a genuine batangas made " balisong" ( from the town of balisong). High carbon. damascus steel blade with stag horn grips. and pictures of hot women. LOL

just send too me and bring me back a hot chick than enjoys cleaning the pipes...we need a maid:D

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You can keep their women...
    life-div-group-enlarge.jpg

But the balisong... :)

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If the SHTF today, since I just got my first AR yesterday, I would have to go with my Mini-14. Give me a few trips to the range to get accustomed to the AR platform and I will probably switch my answer to AR-15.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not going anywhere, and if you are basing this on common calibers because you don't have enough stock on hand, you're screwed. Finding ammo? Really? Hundreds of other people will have beat you to it. I want a round that turns cover into concealment and a rifle that's easy to load and I don't have to shoot someone twice to put them down. One of my Enfields would do this, either one of my SMLEs or my 1917. If I run out of ammo, the 18" bayonets for these would make for enough intimidation to scare off the small fry.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Not to thread jack...but how many of you honestly believe that if the economy fell, or things got worse then they already are, or whatever shtf world you have created in your mind, that you would get much use out of your rifles?

Im serious here...think about what would happen if the dollar fell through...now think about the use of your ars, aks, minis or whatever...how much use do you really think you would get out of it?

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    What type of S we talking about? Waves of zombies? invasion by other nation? situation like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"? I ask because i would think it would influence my choice. I do think i would want a more "simple" rifle with less moving parts to replace and in common caliber (.30-06)?

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Nemsis, as the old adage goes: better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

In most situations, having the rifle is a mental comfort thing. If you do have a problem, unless society has gone to condition "Road Warrior", having an AR or AK should persuade looters or angry mobs to move on. As seen in the LA riots with the Asians protecting their stores the roving, rioting mobs steered clear.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    What type of S we talking about? Waves of zombies? invasion by other nation? situation like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"? I ask because i would think it would influence my choice. I do think i would want a more "simple" rifle with less moving parts to replace and in common caliber (.30-06)?

Thats what i want to know, really...what situation do you think you would need something like a ar, or a ar10 for that matter? Have considerations been made for the reprocussions of using something like this? It honestly concerns me that so many people seem so excited to grab their rifle and, for what it seems, go to war with anything that moves...

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nemsis, as the old adage goes: better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

In most situations, having the rifle is a mental comfort thing. If you do have a problem, unless society has gone to condition "Road Warrior", having an AR or AK should persuade looters or angry mobs to move on. As seen in the LA riots wiht the Asians protecting their stores the roving, rioting mobs steered clear.

A mob armed with rocks and sticks sure...but let me ask you this...if you see someone, or a group of people, armed with aks and ars or whatever...do you see them as a threat to you? If you consider them a possible threat how do you react? Being armed in such a way may ward off those who are less armed...but it also makes you a target for scared, trigger happy paranoids...

Edit: im not going to hijack this topic though...this stuff just bothers me...seems like so many are far to eager to run into a movie situation that they do not even realize that if things do go bad their not going to be any better than any other criminal, or 'bad guy'...the worst are those who will want to play sniper...there is nothing defensive about shooting someone who does not even know you are there...sorry

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Not to thread jack...but how many of you honestly believe that if the economy fell, or things got worse then they already are, or whatever shtf world you have created in your mind, that you would get much use out of your rifles?

Im serious here...think about what would happen if the dollar fell through...now think about the use of your ars, aks, minis or whatever...how much use do you really think you would get out of it?

Yeah... an adequate food supply and a place to hide would probably be the best investment. Most folks on here are already armed to the teeth. :thumbsup:

If you're on the move a KISS AR, AK, or shotgun and any reliable sidearm would probably be good bet.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I've always said AK due to the reliability. But realistically, does it really matter what you choose (within reason) for a SHTF situation? Are we talking about a temporary breakdown in rule of law? Then it doesn't really matter since you will probably not be using the firearm enough to cause reliability or ammo availability to be a factor. If, for whatever reason (EOTWAWKIT), you are fighting enough that you burn through your ammo (and you've survived), then you will in all likelihood have acquired firearms/ammo from those you have defeated, and again, weapon/ammo choice doesn't really matter. Anyone who believes they will scavenge more ammo from other sources is simply delusional. Those sources will dry up in days and you will be left with whatever you have on hand. Unless you plan on simply attacking other people/groups and taking their supplies.

I'd still go with an AK (probably a AK47 Krinkov) for its ruggedness, and the 7.62x39 round for versatility. IMO the best commonly available round for use within 150m (the limit you will probably be engaging anyone at in this kind of situation).

All this also depends onthe situation, and what how you are responding to it.Are you going to stay put? Then you will have your entire firearms collection and ammo stash available, so, again, weapon choice doesn't really matter. Are you bugging out? Then your ability to carry supplies will severely limit what you take with you. In this situation you will also not be shooting thousands of rounds, since you will not have that much ammo with you. (See later part of previous paragraph) You will be walking after all, since availability of gasoline, and impassable roads will probably prevent automobile use. (Autos would also be very unsafe due to people setting up roadblocks/ambushes, and since a person on foot can normally only carry three days worth of supplies....)

Also, most people have no idea how hard it is to "Live off the land". Just because you go out and hunt, doesn't mean you can support yourself or your family as a Hunter Gatherer; particularly when everyone else will have the same idea. Long term survival will in large part depend on luck, more than anything else, and you can't include luck in your supply stash.

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    Thats what i want to know, really...what situation do you think you would need something like a ar, or a ar10 for that matter? Have considerations been made for the reprocussions of using something like this? It honestly concerns me that so many people seem so excited to grab their rifle and, for what it seems, go to war with anything that moves...

I think this community lends itself to thinking / prepping for the Katrina style events. I agree that some people out there will engage anything that moves out of fear, however there are a lot more that will remain level headed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom