Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 10th, 2019, 10:23 AM #11

RU coming from Lewis or McCord? Where are you being stationed here, Detrick, APG, Fort Meade, etc..... Please provide more information.
V
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 12:18 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Must have been punctuation issues .

All AR-10 good .

All AK default banned , unless specifically listed on the Approved list .
Yeah it was late and just got home from 12hours on the road and range time with 5 relatives who were shooting guns for their first time ever (they live overseas) lol

Edited now to fix
jamesp15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:01 PM #13

If your indeed stationed at Andrews and want to go to Myrtle Grove I would be happy to show you where it is/shoot a bit with you if you want. I live just south of Andrews and go to Myrtle Grove a few times a month.

For local ranges, you have a few choices. (drive times assume living on base housing or right outside the base)

Myrtle Grove, outdoor, 100yd max CHEAP $5 for 1 hour, but if no ones waiting you can stay longer)(or $20 for 1 year unlimited trips) Weekends are usually really busy, mid week usually plenty of room there.
Its about 35-50 minutes south of Andrews AFB depending on traffic through Waldorf/Brandywine area. (Range there is CLOSED until August 20 2019 though)

Maryland Small Arms Range, Indoors, 50yd Rifle/Shotgun, 25yd Pistol
Its pretty much right next to Andrews, maybe 10 min drive.
(I have never personally used the range here, but have visited and looked nice. I prefer outdoor ranges.)

Freds Outdoors, Indoors, I believe its 20yds maybe 25yds, No Shotguns
Its 15-20 min south of Andrews
(I avoid the store, had some bad experiences there. Used the old range around 10 or so years ago, havent been since)

Your also fairly close to AGC (hour to hour and a half drive north), and Delmarva Sporting Clays (2 hours-ish to the South East on the Eastern Shore)

As far as stores theres a bunch. My Favorites (I know im leaving some off.)
For Magazines and accessories:
Proven Arms In Woodbridge VA, Hour-ish drive from Andrews.
Big Dogs Outfitters A bit of a drive from Andrews, Hour and a half or so south.

For Fireams:
The AAFES on Andrews is pretty nicely stocked, as is the one at Ft Meade (45min or so North) (Hector and Jaiyen are really good at the Andrews AAFES)
Gymratz, very good prices, very nice people running the place and they can order most anything in my experience. They are also an IP here. About 40min south/southeast.
Engage Armament are also really good, 45min to 1hour+ north of Andrews depending on traffic/time of day. Lots of AR stuff and Handguns and parts. (Also an IP here)
United Gun Shop seemed nice as well, only been there once though. Its really close to Engage so if you go to one you should stop at the other as well in same trip to check them out)

(Be sure to take a look at the Industry Partners Forum for others as well. (IP is Industry Partners)

Last edited by jamesp15; July 10th, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
jamesp15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:13 PM #14

Active duty military does NOT have a register anything. Unless they are stupid enough to establish MD residency.

If it was purchased/built after 9/30/13, it must not be on the banned list, as they cannot be brought into the state in any capacity. Military are NOT exempt.

If you have non-HBAR ARs that are post 9/30/13, just taking them apart and bringing them in, may not be OK. Up to you if you want to take the chance, but unless you have an HBAR upper for them, it could be problematic.

AK are banned post 9/30/13

Those firearms purchased or build before 10/1/13 are OK.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:29 PM #15

compliance is optional
gizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 05:12 PM #16

Fred's range is 50 feet . ( Because the range was retrofitted into existing building, and that's the longest that would fit .)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:39 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Active duty military does NOT have a register anything. Unless they are stupid enough to establish MD residency.

If it was purchased/built after 9/30/13, it must not be on the banned list, as they cannot be brought into the state in any capacity. Military are NOT exempt.

If you have non-HBAR ARs that are post 9/30/13, just taking them apart and bringing them in, may not be OK. Up to you if you want to take the chance, but unless you have an HBAR upper for them, it could be problematic.

AK are banned post 9/30/13

Those firearms purchased or build before 10/1/13 are OK.
Not all military have a choice, especially if they don't/can't give up their home/state of record for family/personal reasons...or if they plan on PCSing to another state after their tour in MD. Therefore we just become "residents" of our duty station zip codes and have to comply with all MD laws.

Bringing in separated uppers/lowers is a grey/black area. I talked to MSP before I PCSed here and they said to just leave the non-HBAR. I went along cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Besides, I can build an AR pistol anyways and slap my uppers on those whenever. All legit and legal.
pp55ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:44 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post
If your indeed stationed at Andrews and want to go to Myrtle Grove I would be happy to show you where it is/shoot a bit with you if you want. I live just south of Andrews and go to Myrtle Grove a few times a month.

For local ranges, you have a few choices. (drive times assume living on base housing or right outside the base)

Myrtle Grove, outdoor, 100yd max CHEAP $5 for 1 hour, but if no ones waiting you can stay longer)(or $20 for 1 year unlimited trips) Weekends are usually really busy, mid week usually plenty of room there.
Its about 35-50 minutes south of Andrews AFB depending on traffic through Waldorf/Brandywine area. (Range there is CLOSED until August 20 2019 though)

Maryland Small Arms Range, Indoors, 50yd Rifle/Shotgun, 25yd Pistol
Its pretty much right next to Andrews, maybe 10 min drive.
(I have never personally used the range here, but have visited and looked nice. I prefer outdoor ranges.)

Freds Outdoors, Indoors, I believe its 20yds maybe 25yds, No Shotguns
Its 15-20 min south of Andrews
(I avoid the store, had some bad experiences there. Used the old range around 10 or so years ago, havent been since)

Your also fairly close to AGC (hour to hour and a half drive north), and Delmarva Sporting Clays (2 hours-ish to the South East on the Eastern Shore)

As far as stores theres a bunch. My Favorites (I know im leaving some off.)
For Magazines and accessories:
Proven Arms In Woodbridge VA, Hour-ish drive from Andrews.
Big Dogs Outfitters A bit of a drive from Andrews, Hour and a half or so south.

For Fireams:
The AAFES on Andrews is pretty nicely stocked, as is the one at Ft Meade (45min or so North) (Hector and Jaiyen are really good at the Andrews AAFES)
Gymratz, very good prices, very nice people running the place and they can order most anything in my experience. They are also an IP here. About 40min south/southeast.
Engage Armament are also really good, 45min to 1hour+ north of Andrews depending on traffic/time of day. Lots of AR stuff and Handguns and parts. (Also an IP here)
United Gun Shop seemed nice as well, only been there once though. Its really close to Engage so if you go to one you should stop at the other as well in same trip to check them out)

(Be sure to take a look at the Industry Partners Forum for others as well. (IP is Industry Partners)
Can't wait to check out Myrtle Grove. Driven past it a few times...just waiting for it to open up. I need to sight in my new toys.

Seconded for United and Engage. Both are great stores with great staff and worth the drive. 1A and 1B in my book. United has slightly cheaper fees, Engage has larger selection. Engage also has a notary on staff if you want to go for a Designated Collector's License so you can buy more than 2 "regulated" firearms at a time.
pp55ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:16 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp55ftw View Post
Not all military have a choice, especially if they don't/can't give up their home/state of record for family/personal reasons...or if they plan on PCSing to another state after their tour in MD. Therefore we just become "residents" of our duty station zip codes and have to comply with all MD laws.

Bringing in separated uppers/lowers is a grey/black area. I talked to MSP before I PCSed here and they said to just leave the non-HBAR. I went along cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Besides, I can build an AR pistol anyways and slap my uppers on those whenever. All legit and legal.
If you don't give up your home state/state of record, you are not a legal resident of MD for tax, voting and firearms registration purposes.

As AD military, you can keep your state of residence the same through ALL your PCSs. And, as I said, someone would have to be not to bright to SWITCH TO MD residency.

As for the rifles, if all you have are post 9/30/13 lowers and non-HBAR uppers, you could have issues. So just buy at least one HBAR upper before you arrive in MD, and keep the non-legal lowers and uppers separated.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 08:31 AM #20

Just get a place in the Springfield area. The commute will suck but you will be in Free America. My last duty station was Ft Myers and I commuted from the Fredneck area for 3 years before retirement. PITA driving down 70/270/beltway everyday. But that was in 1990 when we were still part of Free America!
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues