Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:44 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
If you sell them up there, Hog Sniper (former IP) can help you. He buys collections.

Let me know if you need his cell number
Thanks! I've got some time but rather not have to wait until the last minute ya know? One thing about my uncle, he didn't by cheap crap. His scopes are NightForce, handguns were things like S&W Performance Center, Colt Pythons, etc. Definitely won't be hard to move the stuff I don't want.
Neot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:36 PM #12

If your uncle is declared incompetent, I'd suspect that those with POA could move the collection to a place where they'd be safely stored. Once he passed, distribution under the various state laws could be officially completed.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2019, 04:16 PM #13

And the banned in MD ones, cannot be transferred to you, resident of MD, until he actually dies.

Anything not banned, can be transferred to you now.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 04:25 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neot View Post
Thanks! I've got some time but rather not have to wait until the last minute ya know? One thing about my uncle, he didn't by cheap crap. His scopes are NightForce, handguns were things like S&W Performance Center, Colt Pythons, etc. Definitely won't be hard to move the stuff I don't want.
You'll take a 35% to 55% haircut on value if you sell to a dealer. I know it's a pain, but you'll maximize value by selling them individually after taking good pictures.
Abulg1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 04:34 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab1515 View Post
There is nothing preventing your uncle from storing his guns at your house in MD, provided he can possess the guns in MD. Assuming nothing was bought post 2013, you should be able to store everything in MD.
This is terrible advice. First, Section 4-303(a) of the Criminal Law Article makes it unlawful for a person to (1) transport an assault weapon into Maryland or (2) possess or receive an assault weapon. There is an exception for transfers/possession pursuant to inheritance, and for someone who possessed the assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013. The owner might be able to transport it into Maryland. However, second, assuming that the firearm is simply a "regulated firearm" and not a prohibited assault weapon, I don't think it would be a stretch to conclude that a person who is of feeble mind does not intend to reclaim guns such that any transfer of possession, under whatever pretense, and, thus, a transfer to a Maryland resident for storage is not a "loan".
Abulg1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:14 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulg1972 View Post
You'll take a 35% to 55% haircut on value if you sell to a dealer. I know it's a pain, but you'll maximize value by selling them individually after taking good pictures.
I think what we are going to do is start listing them at his gun club up in PA first and see if we have any takers. This will be guns that he has no interest in anymore and guns that I'd have no interest in receiving down the line. Kind of wading into the shallow end of the pool as far as selling things go. If that doesn't work he had bought a lot of guns at a dealer he was friendly with. I might see about going over there and see if he'd be able to consign them there or buy them at a decent price. He's an honest guy and I feel he would be fair but I also get that he has bills to pay as well and needs to make some money.

My uncle is still sharp enough to remember some things so I don't want it to seem like we are taking all of his guns from him right now. I would still feel comfortable taking him to the range to go shoot (with me monitoring him closely) and him not be a safety issue. Right now it's mostly trouble with remembering the time, date and finding the right words. He gets that the family taking his guns is going to happen at some point though. He just went through losing his driver's license last week and we don't want to put too much on him at once.
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:16 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulg1972 View Post
This is terrible advice. First, Section 4-303(a) of the Criminal Law Article makes it unlawful for a person to (1) transport an assault weapon into Maryland or (2) possess or receive an assault weapon. There is an exception for transfers/possession pursuant to inheritance, and for someone who possessed the assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013. The owner might be able to transport it into Maryland. However, second, assuming that the firearm is simply a "regulated firearm" and not a prohibited assault weapon, I don't think it would be a stretch to conclude that a person who is of feeble mind does not intend to reclaim guns such that any transfer of possession, under whatever pretense, and, thus, a transfer to a Maryland resident for storage is not a "loan".
I think when it's time I'll just store the guns at a family members house or see if any of my buddies up there have room in their safe for the evil banned guns. We don't want them getting free and running amok.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues