• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Anyone know if you can use pistol caliber carbine on the pistol range at Hap Baker? I have a 9mm carbine and a new pistol to try out and it would be convenient to just setup on the one range.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Bumping this because there is a new crew of folks running Hap in recent years. I assume the rule is still the same, but do any folks have recent experience with PCCs at Hap Baker to confirm/refute the above information?

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    With respect, that is not their current policy. I have been there in the last few months with my 9mm AR pistol and 5.56mm AR pistol. Neither one of which are currently allowed on the pistol range. I spoke with the range master my last trip up. I was told that if it is an AR pattern firearm that it is to be used on the rifle range. The optics of the situation is that people on the pistol range, which aren't used to pistol caliber carbines, have issues with what they perceive as a rifle on the pistol range. Yes, your arguments against that are valid. I'm letting you know my recent personal experience. plan on shooting them on the rifle range.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Bumping this because there is a new crew of folks running Hap in recent years. I assume the rule is still the same, but do any folks have recent experience with PCCs at Hap Baker to confirm/refute the above information?

I was there last week and had this precise convo with an RO. Anything with a stock must be shot at the rifle range. I personally don't see the point of shooting a carbine at the pistol range anyway. If you can hit it at 25yds, you can hit it at 9-17yds. Who sights a scope, iron sights or red dot on a carbine under 25yds?

I was shooting my PCC at the rifle range the week before*

:gun3:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I was there last week and had this precise convo with an RO. Anything with a stock must be shot at the rifle range. I personally don't see the point of shooting a carbine at the pistol range anyway. If you can hit it at 25yds, you can hit it at 9-17yds. Who sights a scope, iron sights or red dot on a carbine under 25yds?

Thanks for your input. My reason for asking relates to young/inexperienced shooters who would appreciate seeing the target a bit closer than 25 yards the first time handling a PCC.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Thanks for your input. My reason for asking relates to young/inexperienced shooters who would appreciate seeing the target a bit closer than 25 yards the first time handling a PCC.

I did not realize that's what you meant by "new crew", apologies for the misunderstanding.

Still, the bench may be the best place for inexperienced shooters. The 25yd targets feels a lot closer than 75ft, with shoot-n-c targets, or a 1-4x optic, it may work.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Right but could help free up some spots for someone who wants to bullseye shoot their rifle at 100 yards or whatever.

Is the pistol range there lanes or is there freedom of movement, drawing, etc?

I go to a public indoor range up my way a few times a year but other than that, I shoot on private land. Im highly ignorant to most public ranges

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I did not realize that's what you meant by "new crew", apologies for the misunderstanding.

Still, the bench may be the best place for inexperienced shooters. The 25yd targets feels a lot closer than 75ft, with shoot-n-c targets, or a 1-4x optic, it may work.

I was referring to the newer folks running the place. They may have been there for the last few years, but I've not heard great things about them said on this forum, and was curious if there was different and/or inconsistent enforcement of the rule. The gentleman who first replied to the OP was the long time lead RSO at Hap. The newer folks might have operated differently.

As for the young kids and their first time on the carbine, they've shot scoped .22s from the bench, but it's time to learn irons and how to shoot standing. :) I would have liked to let them punch a few at 12-15 yards before going to 25 and beyond, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    Right but could help free up some spots for someone who wants to bullseye shoot their rifle at 100 yards or whatever.

Is the pistol range there lanes or is there freedom of movement, drawing, etc?

I go to a public indoor range up my way a few times a year but other than that, I shoot on private land. Im highly ignorant to most public ranges
    Well in the morning on the weekend if the weather is nice, the place is always packed. And most people rotate out after the third ceasefire. It's a smaller range that serves a large community, so I see what you're saying. There are two prone lanes at the rifle range that are only for 100 and 200yds. They are usually free. Otherwise the wait is the wait. The pistol range has about 4ft between baffles. It's bigger than most indoor ranges, but still has its limitations. The pistol range is rarely full. Drawing from the hip or use of Holsters is not allowed

Sent via telepathy

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    I was referring to the newer folks running the place. They may have been there for the last few years, but I've not heard great things about them said on this forum, and was curious if there was different and/or inconsistent enforcement of the rule. The gentleman who first replied to the OP was the long time lead RSO at Hap. The newer folks might have operated differently.

As for the young kids and their first time on the carbine, they've shot scoped .22s from the bench, but it's time to learn irons and how to shoot standing. :) I would have liked to let them punch a few at 12-15 yards before going to 25 and beyond, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Ah, I gotcha. Yes, they are still very much enforcing that rule. They all seem to be on top of it down there. I haven't noticed any issues with their management.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I shoot my PCC’s on the pistol range every time I go there. The last time the RSO asked if he could shoot my Scorpion so so let him have some fun with it. Now technically they have Tailhook braces so they are classified as pistols but those guys don’t know the difference.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I believe the "pistol at pistol range and rifle at rifle range" rules have more to do with the maneuvering space at each range. Swinging a rifle length at the pistol range could cause difficulties.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    as long as you shoot as fast as you can. I believe the rule is no less than 2 shots every 1 second.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

People who shoot legal long guns in Steel Challenge (PCCO, PCCI, RFRO, and RFRI) usually sight in at around 17-18 yards, same as you do for the pistol divisions. Not so for the same divisions in USPSA because your longest shot might be longer than the 35 yards of SC. In my case I have 2 complete uppers to my PCC. The SC rifle upper has a short Taccom shrouded barrel, 5.5" of threaded barrel, and an 11" alloy shroud pinned to it. It gives the ultimate LW with the weight off the barrel to shorten transition times, which is more important in SC. My USPSA upper is a full length Taccom barrel, .575" profile for its full length with a carbon fiber tensioned wrapped shroud with a threaded barrel end. Its only 20 oz. but it allows a muzzle brake and it has no alignment pin so you align the barrel into the upper after you install the brake. This is because USPSA needs rapid follow-up shots, double taps, and more distance accuracy. So rather than make a compromise rifle I can max both out. Its tuned to use the same bolt, spring, and buffer in both setups although I can swap out the buffer and spring if needed. I tend to sight it in at whatever distance I need to still make clean close quarters shots that don't affect my long range accuracy.

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    I want to join a shooting club to shoot an AR in 5.56, and two .380 and 9mm pistols I carry. I want to get more proficient at drawing from my IWB holster since that is what will happen if I am ever forced to defend myself. Free State Shooting Range in Middle River allows it once you have taken their "training course" but do any of the various clubs in the Arnold-Columbia area also permit holster draw on their pistol ranges? And which ones are friendliest? Thanks. Can't seem to get this info anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom