• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Unless or until they have the same number of, or more, national certifications in gun handling and safety that I have and/or have shot competitively, I'll just go about my business.

If they have never held a firearm or done any shooting they got nothing I'm interested in hearing about safe gun handling.

At the BARE minimum they should have had a hunter safety course!

So, of course my answer, as advised by Teratos (sp), is a resounding NO.

Besides a gun is a crew serviced weapon and my rifles I handle on my own so truthfully NO GUNS IN THE HOUSE and yes, I try to use clip for clip and magazine for magazine. Nomenclature is important and until they can define 'assault rifle' correctly I'll continue to have no 'guns' in my home and sleep peacefully at night.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have ammo and manly handguns. Well, my wife has manly handguns she lets me use. Quarryville has a 500 yd range, no? Would be fun to shoot with you.

Southern Lancaster County Farmer-Sportsmen's Association longest range is 300 yards but we have lots of ranges to pick from. Here is a link scroll down for a list of ranges and activities:
    https://www.slcfsa.org/

It is not too far from Bel Air, membership is currently closed but there will be openings after the first of the new year. Since I am retired my schedule is probably more flexible than yours (I just have to work around doctor appointments) so if you would like to shoot or even just tour the ranges PM me and we will see what works.

How manly are your wife's manly handguns my manliest is .45-70.:D

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I don’t care if a doctor asks me. My reply would be same. “Nope”, but the pediatrician will ask your kids and your wife too. I’ve had to explain to my kids that it’s nobody’s business if we own guns or not. I would not want them to go around telling everybody that their father owns guns. If they are asked that question, and even the school might, they are to answer “no” and let me know about it.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I don’t care if a doctor asks me. My reply would be same. “Nope”, but the pediatrician will ask your kids and your wife too. I’ve had to explain to my kids that it’s nobody’s business if we own guns or not. I would not want them to go around telling everybody that their father owns guns. If they are asked that question, and even the school might, they are to answer “no” and let me know about it.

I was raised to believe that when interacting with a police officer a physician or a priest, the best outcome for me was to be completely honest. I suspect many of a similar age were similarly raised. Unfortunately times have changed and I must now moderate that policy. When interacting with popo, its " I respectfully decline to discuss this matter" with a physician its " please limit our discussions to medical issues" Its a bit sad at a loss of societal innocence.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    When you walk into the buildings at AAMC there is a sign that states AAMC is a 'smoke free and weapons free campus'. Also they won't hire you if you smoke. I feel so 'INCLUDED' and my 'DIVERSITY' is welcomed there, but don't tell anyone.

Last edited:

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    When you walk into the buildings at AAMC there is a sign that states AAMC is a 'smoke free and weapons free campus'. Also they won't hire you if you smoke. I feel so 'INCLUDED and my DIVERSITY is welcomed there,but don't tell anyone.

I wonder when they are going to post the "Medical Mistake Free Zone" signs?

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Funny Guy!

My 84 year old mom is a child of the midwest, grew up with pheasants being dismantled at the kitchen sink, eating all sorts of roaming hoofstock, and could remember - during a stint living on the New Jersey coastline during the 1940's - family discussions about what to do if the Nazis were to land on the nearby shore (start with the 30-.06, and go from there).

Her doctor recently asked her if there were guns in the house (she lives along side my arsenal, now).

"Oh, yes," she said.

"How many?" asked the doctor.

"Oh goodness, I don't know. A lot," she said.

He asked, "Well, are they locked up?"

"Sure, some. But they don't really wander around much anyway."

She's normally a push-over Pollyanna when it comes to authority figures, but on this topic I do believe she defaults to channeling her late dad and husband. Her friends in lower MoCo were horrified, once, to discover she didn't care about having guns in the house. Like she was happily living with poisonous snakes or even Republicans.

Occam, you should be doing a 2A standup performance.... or your mom. LOL

bullett67

Aug 17, 2013
    eastern shore md
    My last Dr appointment I was asked by his nurse if I owned any guns. Wile taking my vitals out of the blue I heard so, do you have any guns at home? I just gave her a strange look and asked, do you? She says I have a 357 mag so no one is getting in my house. I responded good for you, I have a double barrel sling shot and a crossman air rifle. The slingshot was the same model David used to kill Goliath. She said oh really, that's cool! Guess I don't need to say anymore to see what kind of firearm experience she has.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Do you have any guns in your home?
    Nope I do not!
    Do you hunt?
    No, never! Time to move on to the next question Doc.

This is more important then ever now. You get a Dr that thinks no one should have a gun and they can get the ball rolling to have them confiscated under the "red flag bill."

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    My last Dr appointment I was asked by his nurse if I owned any guns. Wile taking my vitals out of the blue I heard so, do you have any guns at home? I just gave her a strange look and asked, do you? She says I have a 357 mag so no one is getting in my house. I responded good for you, I have a double barrel sling shot and a crossman air rifle. The slingshot was the same model David used to kill Goliath. She said oh really, that's cool! Guess I don't need to say anymore to see what kind of firearm experience she has.

She was trying to get you to say you did have a gun. I had a NP pull that one on me saying she hunted where she grew up. I said that's great. I don't hunt and don't have any guns.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Last edited:

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    How do I upload a picture on this screwy thing?

shove-gun-control-up-your-a-t-shirt

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The question must be on a generic form, haven't seen it on Wellspan or Lancaster general forms. I have gotten useful gun tips from my boy's pediatrician, he's a member of my gun club, my oldest and I have shot with him a few times. He used to compete in F-class, knows his stuff with long range, has a killer 204 Ruger AR he put together.

ironbag

Apr 6, 2018
    Gaithersburg
    I’ve had some buddies get asked this when they go to the VA, but it’s an even more touchy subject there since the VA is the one who gives a PTSD diagnosis, so even when someone is having a rough time mentally, they’re reluctant to seek help since they know they risk having their firearms taken from them.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    It would probably be a good idea to start it's own thread calling out medical professionals and their practices by name if they are jumping on the band wagon of asking probing question about gun ownership. The purpose of this would be to alert MDS members that they probably are going to be asked and have time before hand to decide what answer to give as opposed to being blind sided with an unexpected question.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I really don’t feel like I am. I have never had any formal training in risky behaviors. I focus on what I’m trained to do. Most of that is related to the body and modifying risk factors for heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc. if I feel someone is a danger to themselves or others I call the fuzz and get an emergency petition. It’s not my job to babysit people. I give advice. That’s really my job, no matter how much the AMA wants me to be a human shepherd. I’m not doing it.

How far can this go, really? What if you get hit crossing the street? Should your doctor council you to look both ways? What about things like lawnmowers, chainsaws, nail guns?

I suspect 99.9% of doctors feel this way and have the best intentions. The gun question really can't be asked in a way without someone getting upset about it. We are conditioned to get defensive when controversial topics are brought up. I agree it's best to say nothing and move along.

The only real issue I had with a doctor involved my teenage son. I had an argument with my wife a while back because she wanted to take our 16 year old son to a specific doctor for checkups. I told her that she has to change the appointment to another doctor. She couldn't understand that a beautiful young doctors and young men don't mix.

Unfortunately this particular doctor is a pediatrician and she won't check me out. I'd probably get more frequent checkups if she would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom