• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    PS90. 50 round mag. Unregulated. If I were to pick it up in PA, she is telling me I would not be able to acquire the 50 round mag "per ATF" and only walk away with the rifle AND a 10 round.

Not how I read any of the law... that is not true. :mad54:

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Gretchen Cohick gcohick@atlantictactical.com

FOX,

You would be able to buy the PS90 but since you are a resident of the state of MD you would not be able to have the 50 rnd mags that come with the weapon. We would have to trade them out for some 10 rnd mags. If you have any other questions or concerns please contact customer service at customerservice@atlantictactical.com or at 1-800-781-2677.

Thanks and have a good day.

Gretchen L. Cohick

Atlantic Tactical

CSR

fax # 717-774-4463

Because we require your id to ship to you and LE weapon and seeing that you are a resident of Maryland when you pay for the weapon… The ATF will not let us sell to you anything over a 10 rnd mag. This is a restriction that we have to follow due to the ATF. If we do not follow these rules, we will be fined and possibly have our FFL license taken from us. If we could, we would sell you the 50 rnd mag but because we must follow the rules the ATF has given us we will not be able to sell you this weapon with a 50 rnd mag. We would be able to sell you this weapon with a 10 rnd mag.

That is fine you can come pick the weapon up but we would not be able to sell to you the 50 rnd mag that comes with the weapon since you are a resident in the state of MD.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I asked her to cite which law per ATF and referred her to the MD COMAR. We will see. I would like to buy the gun but here is an opportunity to teach.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maryland's magazine limit is 20 rounds, anyway. And the law only restricts sales and transfers within Maryland. That said, every store I've ever seen that ships to Maryland won't ship >20 round magazines to Maryland residents.

Since you'd be picking up this gun out-of-state, the gun sale must be compliant with both state's laws. She may be quite right, for that reason.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    We understand that as a law enforcement officer in the state of Maryland you understand the laws for the state of Maryland. This is something that the ATF has let us know that we cannot do. This has not been the first time a Law enforcement officer in the state of Maryland has requested the 50 rnd mag and as before in the past. The president of our company has let us all know, we must follow ATF's rules and because you are a resident of Maryland we cannot sell you anything over a 10 rnd mag when ordering a weapon from us.

You can go into any state and no one in retail is required to ask for your id and you can walk out with a "high capacity mag" but because when you ordering the weapon from us and we have a copy of were you live and were the weapon plus mags will be shipping to, we can no longer sell you this high Capacity mag that comes with the weapon. When you come to our retail store to buy the weapon we have to call in the background check to the state police and keep on file what state you live in. If the ATF comes to do an audit on us we will be fined and will lose our license. We also cannot ship this weapon into the state of Maryland with a High Capacity mag. Please understand we are just following the rules and regulations that were given to us per the ATF.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They must comply with the laws in both states IIRC.

I do agree if it's purchased OOS then it'd be legal. MD law says buy,sele, transfer, or manufacture.

What you're doing is not any of those IMO. IANAL.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    So they transfer the gun with the 10 round mag. Then sell me the 50round mag for a reduced price seeing I already paid for it. Could they do that? How would it be any different?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That would be their choice IMO. But as I read MD statute, they can legally sell you the 50 round mag as long as it's not in MD.

But IANAL or an FFL.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Are they willing to ship the gun/50 rounder to a PA FFL?

If so find a PA FFL have them ship everything to them then pick up from PA FFL...all legal right?

If they refuse then that's up to them...free market society...take business elsewhere...psssttt...I know it's hard to find these.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I will most likely be taking it elsewhere NameTaken.... they don't have the rifle in stock either.

Just have a chance to uncover some truth to these folks. I am not going to pass it up. Who knows, maybe I am wrong here. I read the law as they are wrong.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    About four or five years ago ATF started giving FFL's in some states heat about selling certain firearms to US service people. The issue was that service people from CA, NY and other restrictive states were buying normal firearms in states like VA or FL and bringing them back home.

ATF started pushing the "must comply with the laws in both states" mantra. What the OP is dealing with is the fallout from this.

At least one MDS member has posted about being told they could not buy 30 round AR mags at a VA FFL after the FFL found out the buyer was from MD.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    My (limited) understanding of the law is that they are correct. Must abide by both states (selling state and home state). Nothing would prevent you though from going to the next gun shop and purchasing you hi caps there. I would guess that very few of the AR owners here have not made the trip north or south to pick up 30 rounders.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have high capacity magazines. I can get them. But she will refuse to sell them to me. And even worse, sell the gun to me full price, then knock out a 50 round mag for a 10 round mag. Knock off the price without the mag. I will get my own.

Thing is, there is no proof at this time AT is abiding the law. Grey area. Just what the lawmakers like..

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have high capacity magazines. I can get them. But she will refuse to sell them to me. And even worse, sell the gun to me full price, then knock out a 50 round mag for a 10 round mag. Knock off the price without the mag. I will get my own.

Thing is, there is no proof at this time AT is abiding the law. Grey area. Just what the lawmakers like..

Actually, ATF interpretations of the law. The shop or their lawyer is protecting their backside from the nasty Feds.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Which law?

Gun Control Act of 1968 and the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. The section that says a FFL has to comply with the laws in both their state and the laws of the buyers state.

As you quoted from them:
    You can go into any state and no one in retail is required to ask for your id and you can walk out with a "high capacity mag" but because when you ordering the weapon from us and we have a copy of were you live and were the weapon plus mags will be shipping to, we can no longer sell you this high Capacity mag that comes with the weapon. When you come to our retail store to buy the weapon we have to call in the background check to the state police and keep on file what state you live in. If the ATF comes to do an audit on us we will be fined and will lose our license. We also cannot ship this weapon into the state of Maryland with a High Capacity mag. Please understand we are just following the rules and regulations that were given to us per the ATF.

We can blame some stupid dealers near several military bases in VA and FL for not following the law 100% while dealing with some soldiers from CA and other states. ATF is just making sure all shops follow the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom