• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So my hand loads for 9mm and 45acp are both at the upper end using titegroup as they ended up being the most accurate. I mostly use Montana gold bullets and once fired range brass.

When you shoot USPSA IDPA steel challenge etc, do you load any different? For my first attempt (steel challenge) I will just go with what I got. Assuming we have a blast and love it, what's generally the preferred load? Light or heavy bullets, slower than "normal" velocities (reduced recoil)?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Generally we shoot a lot of rounds in practice and matches so a more affordable poly coated bullet like Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets is popular.

We also load the round to close to a minimum power factor to improve recoil characteristics.

Generally a heavier bullet is prefered. i.e. 147grn 9mm or 180grn .40.

Personally I like the newer 135grn 9mm as it has a good balance between cycle speed and muzzle return.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The formula for most action shooting sports = cheap, heavy for caliber, and loaded just over min PF. I use xtreme plated, easy to load, clean, and cost isn't much different compared to epoxy coated lead, load over CFE pistol, a really clean and forgiving powder, really wide range of pressure vs accuracy, so you can load for PF, and they will be plenty accurate. Of course range pickup brass, and Win primers. Only exception is XTPs over tightgroup for the most accurate load if I'm shooting for small groups like bullseye instead of shooting fast in IDPA, USPSA or 3gun

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For .45 acp, my load is (and has been for 30+ years):

Any brass that I've "ratted up" at the range and cleaned thoroughly.
    NSK (formerly "All American") 200 gr hardcast SWC (H&G #68 clone) boolit.
    (For those that don't know what "ratted up" brass is, picture a gray-haired, old fat man, scurrying around on all-fours, picking up brass, like a rat would.) :)

W-231 powder. 5.7 grains.
    WW LP primer.

Don't recall the OAL of the loaded round, but, "just fits" in Colt 1911-A! magazines.

907 fps.
    VERY accurate.

Note: I have NEVER had to trim any piece of .45 acp brass, in all the years I've loaded for the caliber.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Generally we shoot a lot of rounds in practice and matches so a more affordable poly coated bullet like Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets is popular.

We also load the round to close to a minimum power factor to improve recoil characteristics.

Generally a heavier bullet is prefered. i.e. 147grn 9mm or 180grn .40.

Personally I like the newer 135grn 9mm as it has a good balance between cycle speed and muzzle return.
    I've liked the 135g for the same reason

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Competition ammo must chamber and go bang. I use 4.2 - 4.4 grains with a 200 grain bullet (SWC or RN) of Bullseye in 45 ACP. Goes about 725 - 750 fps. Excellent action/steel load, or pins if the pins are set shallow. Used it for years, and it is accurate (under 3 inches at 50 yards) and reliable. For steel and general competition I tumble the brass, size, charge, seat and crimp. As noted earlier, no need to trim 45 ACP. Always chamber check after loading.

For bullseye precision that is an approach in itself.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    USPSA and IDPA I shoot “heavy” bullets with “fast” powder in everything except compensated pistols where I use lighter bullets with “slow” powder.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I ordered some 135gr 9mm. I have titegroup on hand. Can you load below the starting load? It shows 895fps with 130gr bullet and 3.5gr of powder for the starting load.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have shot many thousands of plated 147 RN @ 1.160” with 3.2 grains of titegroup, makes minor and runs in just about everything.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use 3.2gr of Titegroup behind a 147gr poly coated bullet, it makes Minor in all of my 9mm pistols. For Steel Challenge, I use 2.4gr of Titegroup behind a 147gr LFP. It cycles the action with minimal recoil. That load also makes Minor in my 9mm AR. 2.4 for lead bullets is the minimum in one of my reloading manuals. Be careful of double-loads.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    For .45 acp, my load is (and has been for 30+ years):

Any brass that I've "ratted up" at the range and cleaned thoroughly.
    NSK (formerly "All American") 200 gr hardcast SWC (H&G #68 clone) boolit.
    (For those that don't know what "ratted up" brass is, picture a gray-haired, old fat man, scurrying around on all-fours, picking up brass, like a rat would.) :)

W-231 powder. 5.7 grains.
    WW LP primer.

Don't recall the OAL of the loaded round, but, "just fits" in Colt 1911-A! magazines.

907 fps.
    VERY accurate.

Note: I have NEVER had to trim any piece of .45 acp brass, in all the years I've loaded for the caliber.

Sounds about right where I'm at. For the ole "pin loads" was 5.5grs. W-231, CCI-300 primers, H&G #68 200gr. SWC in WCC cases been shooting that load for years. Not to bad for recovering quick shots. Would sometimes drop down to 5.2grs which was real accurate and consistent off the rest. Currently using Zero 185gr. JHP CCI-300, W231, WW or Speer cases, trying out N310 powder with the Zero 185's getting good results, clean burning, accurate, consistent. Haven't trimmed any 45 yet either..

Oh yeah ..haven't "ratted" any brass yet, generally throw down a cheap canvas tarp that doesn't melt.
    And thanks for the visual description much appreciated...

-Rock

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Oh yeah ..haven't "ratted" any brass yet, generally throw down a cheap canvas tarp that doesn't melt.
    And thanks for the visual description much appreciated...
    -Rock

Likewise I don't "rat" brass. However, I might use the broom to reach a liiiitle further out towards the target and a liiiiitle bit closer to my neighbor. (of course, you should NEVER take your neighbor's brass without asking first, that's stealing) I have on occasion jingled my brass bag in a suggestive manner at my neighbor, and I have offered to "help" someone clean up their lane. And, oh yea, there is a slight dip in the concrete floor of the outside range I frequent and I usually try to grab that lane.

But no rattin. :party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We used to have a team of shooters doing USPSA/IPSC that we called ourselves the Brass Rats.

Anyone that did not want their brass, we were HAPPY to pick it up.

I ran around one of the shirts. One guys had a family member with an embroidery machine, so he had embroidered polo shirts done. I will take a pic when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom