• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread ... and then on the link ... and then on the individual photos ... and then noted the discounted price. As you said, it is a nice knife. :innocent0

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Brown in XHP, not so much, however I am pre-ordering this monster
    http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP101PGY2/spyderco-c101pgy2-manix-2-lightweight-folding-knife-maxamet-satin-plain-blade-gray-frcp-handles

I like the grey much better(a version in G10 with liners even more so), and Maxamet is supposed to be the stuff of legend, basically M4 on steroids, takes a fine edge, tough and off the charts wear resistant, usually run at extreme hardness near 70, it was designed for use when high speed tool steel is too soft and wears too fast, but carbide and ceramic are too brittle. Only downside is that it is not stainless(4.75%Cr), and will rust if not coated or protected.

This was the discussion when Spyderco's mule test blade came out in the stuff https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=62976

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Lost my Griptilian last weekend.

I'm thinking about this exact manix 2 or a para 2 as a relacement.

Where can I see Spyderco knives in Montgomery County? Some gun stores I visit have Benchmade in the case but not spyderco.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lost my Griptilian last weekend.

I'm thinking about this exact manix 2 or a para 2 as a relacement.

Where can I see Spyderco knives in Montgomery County? Some gun stores I visit have Benchmade in the case but not spyderco.

The Manix BB lock functions similar to Benchmade's Axis, but is stiffer with less movement, I pinch it with 2 fingers to flip it open or closed without touching the blade, but primarily use the spyderhole to open it. I've tried to like the Para's compression lock, bought one for my brother who loves it, but I just don't, it's awkward to basically let go of the knife, and push the lock to the side on the spine, also messes up the feel of the grip IMO. The Para's blade and handle shape are wonderful though, the Manix is comfortable and secure, but a little chunky. They do have a new Griptilian out, grey G10 scales and CPM-20CV steel, it's an excellent EDC. I love my 550 and custom scales helped some of it's shortcomings. It has one of the best blade shapes and grinds ever, but didn't like the original plastic handle with the 1/2 liners it feels flimsy, and the 154CM is outdated, the new model basically corrects it all.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    The Manix BB lock functions similar to Benchmade's Axis, but is stiffer with less movement, I pinch it with 2 fingers to flip it open or closed without touching the blade, but primarily use the spyderhole to open it. I've tried to like the Para's compression lock, bought one for my brother who loves it, but I just don't, it's awkward to basically let go of the knife, and push the lock to the side on the spine, also messes up the feel of the grip IMO. The Para's blade and handle shape are wonderful though, the Manix is comfortable and secure, but a little chunky. They do have a new Griptilian out, grey G10 scales and CPM-20CV steel, it's an excellent EDC. I love my 550 and custom scales helped some of it's shortcomings. It has one of the best blade shapes and grinds ever, but didn't like the original plastic handle with the 1/2 liners it feels flimsy, and the 154CM is outdated, the new model basically corrects it all.

Thank you for your thoughts...insightful as always.

I like that new Benchmade but it's a little pricey for my EDC. Totally a personal querk on my part but I'm trying to stay near $100 so that I actually use the thing without much thought about busting or losing it again. Arbitrary and illogical, I know. Plus I've been spending a ton on my other hobby :innocent0 following that first debate.

My hope was to check out a Spyderco in person to see if the liner lock is a deal breaker but I may just close my eyes and jump. There will be more knives in my future....

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Deal Alert!

Kentucky Gun Co has black Manix 2's, S30v, G10, black blade for $78 + 9 shipping...that's $25-$35 under anything I've seen lately.

If the online order throws an error, call them. Mine did but they aren't sold out. Nice folks....will quckly take order on phone.

Can't wait!

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    That's a good price, nice find.

Turned out to be a mismatched product description...said G10 handle in text and specs but FRH in header. :sad20: the product code confirmed the mix up.

However- the genuine article is at optics planet for $108 shipped with 11% off code "YEAR2016", which was extended a day.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Great, now something else to spend my money on.

I've been carrying Endura4 VG10 FFGs for years. I haven't really branched out much further into the Spyderco line, but I probably should. Although the Endura4 FFG does everything I need a knife to do.

I might have to pick one of these up. My endura4s are brown too, so this would match :-)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Correction, on second look I had the regular Manix, I kind of like the G10 scaled XL. The translucent scales just felt cheap to me.
    Have you checked out the Paramilitary 2 Joppa?

Love my XL, it's a solid knife, it's big, but still really thin. I have the lightweight S110V too, the FRN handles on spyderco knives that have them are really strong and light, they do flex a little, don't have the solid feel of G10 over liners but won't break. Another "cheap" looking byproduct of FRN is they usually are riveted, supposedly because screws can be torqued down and crack, and usually have a smaller head that places more stress on the handles. I'm not a huge fan of the Manix jimping, it's either serrated liners that stick out a little past the scales, or a couple small ridges on the FRN handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom