Eotechs, Aimpoints, Trijicons, Meprolights, Bushnells and Vortexes....oh my!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Time to pick an optic for my furlough build and so many to choose from. Basic info: short range use which I define as 200 yards and usually closer (High Power shooter definition of short range is 300 yards and closer...and yes I can use irons already), NVG compatible not needed, price range $200-$600, my vision ain't what it used to be, rifle has a fixed FSB stamped F.

Of the brands listed in the title any really good or really bad?

Bushnell makes a faux ACOG in 1X and 2X which is the only reason I listed them.

The rest break down into two main types it seems, Aimpoint style tube or Eotech style "TV screens" with the Trijicon and Meprolight looking like hybrids of the two. Pros and cons to the types?

Reticles seem to be various MOA diameter dots, 1 MOA or 2 MOA dot in a 65 MOA circle, triangles and one X reticle. Pros and cons?

Reticle colors are red, amber and green with some red/green selectable. Pros and cons?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I like my Aimpoint PRO. The dot is 2MOA and crisp, with no bleeding at all. I got it with a 15% off coupon at LAPoliceGear (keep a lookout for them), so it was $348 shipped. The battery is supposed to last three years continuously turned on at the 7 (out of 9) setting.

For range use, all the ones you list will do just fine. Cheaper red dots like Bushnell, Vortex, or Primary Arms sometimes have the issue of a dot that is not perfectly round or one that bleeds, but they are still perfectly usable. Rough use is what will set them apart.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Eotech

Its the fastest to get on target wih a 65 Moa outer circle reticle, its is also capable of accuracy due to the 1 moa center dot. No eye relief , no mounts needed.

Second choice would be the Aimpoint.. Basic red dot thatis ultra reliable and long battery life.

Trijicon reflex sights.... Ill pass, they tend to wash out and I do not like the bluish tint on the lens.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I like the EOtech at those ranges, the way the site works may cause problems with some people.

Pro is you can shoot with both eyes open and no tunnel vision that is common with tubes. You can get magnifiers if you like. Some are NVG compatible, they are tough.

A con some will tell you is battey life IIRC most new XPS line EOtechs are rated at 600 hours they use a laser as opposed to an LED.

Aimpoints are tubular RDS, tough, long battery life.

Cons are tunnel vision really.

ACOGs typically provide magnification and the good ones offer non electrical illumination.

All really have their merit you really need to try them before buying.

rafael

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2013
    Give these guys a call; 770-383-8080. They are very helpful, and they frequent the gun shows in the area. I bought two Trijicons from them, a 1-4 and 3-9. If I want to go further out, I am thinking NightForce, but that is in another league. Good luck.

http://www.georgiaoptics.com/

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Aimpoint PRO would have my vote. Rugged, reliable, loooooooong battery life, and with the proper mount, you can easily put a magnifier behind it. The Eotech, from what I've seen, is more of a close range optic. I've found the dot on the Aimpoints make it easier to shoot accurately at longer distance than the bigger Eotechs, not to mention Aimpoints are harder to break versus the Eotechs.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Although I like and own a few of your choices my vote would go for the eotech. I love the 65moa circle to get on a target and the 1moa dot is sweet when I throw a 3x magnifier behind it. They're not cheap but they're like little tank built tv screens and it's really helped me in my quest for both eyes open shooting.

Good luck in your choice and if you'd like to try out the eotech I'm happy to help if I can :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have Eotech EXPS 3's with G33 3x magnifiers on my AR's. If you don't need NV, look at the EXPS 2 or XPS 2. I like the QD mount and side mounted buttons. Quick target acquisition and with the flip to the side magnifier, you can easily shoot from 100-250 yards quickly.

600 hours of battery life is not bad IMO.. That's 25 days of continuous use. A drawback of the sight is it shuts off after 8 hours which would require you to turn it on in a SD scenario. Not a deal breaker in my opinion.

You will never go wrong with an Aimpoint either. I like the wider FOV with the Eotech however.

My .02 cents.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Although I like and own a few of your choices my vote would go for the eotech. I love the 65moa circle to get on a target and the 1moa dot is sweet when I throw a 3x magnifier behind it. They're not cheap but they're like little tank built tv screens and it's really helped me in my quest for both eyes open shooting.

Good luck in your choice and if you'd like to try out the eotech I'm happy to help if I can :)

:thumbsup:ditto - I run mostly holographic and red dots with swing out magnifiers on carbine lengths. Con with these setups is light gathering through so many panes of glass. Maximize use of QD mounts for flexibility. You can always switch out magnifier for NV if your sight is compatible ... and you have money to burn. For longer lengths, run everything from Chinese/Russian to high-end, all seem to hold up well. More bells/whistles on the cheaper stuff. Higher end starts to shine in low light and extended ranges.

If you're still going for tacticool, how about a conventional variable power primary, with a micro red dot secondary mounted on a 45?:party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For AR type firearms, I like the 1-4x illuminated optics.

At 1x (if they are a true or very close to 1x), they work like a tube red dot. But you can dial up the power as needed.

In using the red dot sights, I find the tube ones to be a bit faster to acquire, as my eye seems to naturally align with the tube. The holo type sights need a good cheek weld, in a consistent position, to get on the dot right away.

As for reticle, your choice. A simple dot works, but some of the others have various advantages depending on the targets you are shooting.

The non-powered ones (Meporlight, Trijicon) have the advantage of not having to be turned on (HD) and never a dead battery. But will need the tritium illuminate replaced at some point.

awdnick2986

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2013
    Hey I just bought a Vortex Sparc from Joe Bob Outfitters yesterday. They still have the sale going on for the Vortex Sparc, MSRP of $289.99 sale price $199.99 plus a $40 code of SPARC and the total comes to $159.99. I couldn't turn up this deal as mine is a semi-budget build.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've owned pretty much all of these. I feel the Trijicon SRS is the brightest and best of the breed but a little out of your budget range.

In that price range probably the Aimpoint Pro...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have Eotech EXPS 3's with G33 3x magnifiers on my AR's. If you don't need NV, look at the EXPS 2 or XPS 2. I like the QD mount and side mounted buttons. Quick target acquisition and with the flip to the side magnifier, you can easily shoot from 100-250 yards quickly.

600 hours of battery life is not bad IMO.. That's 25 days of continuous use. A drawback of the sight is it shuts off after 8 hours which would require you to turn it on in a SD scenario. Not a deal breaker in my opinion.

You will never go wrong with an Aimpoint either. I like the wider FOV with the Eotech however.

My .02 cents.

I love my EOtech and I like my traditional tubular RDS. Hell I like my reflex on my MP5 22lr. IT really is what you are comfortable with. Yeah an EOtech will shut off after 8 hours but with co-witness not too worried in SD. I know many here will think its blasphemy but battery life is not at the top of my list of things. With my EOtech I check the battery on it every 2 weeks like I do on my other sights. I do no put my faith in workmanship because all it takes is a guy having a bad day and one item to be missed in QC. So I check all my RDS every 2 weeks along with flashlight battries, and laser pointer batteries. Assuming something has a long life and never verifying is stupid.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    They are all decent sights, and it really comes down to personal preference.

The eotech 1/65moa reticle does give you some additional capability that a plain dot won't have.

eotech-0%2Breticle-with-measurements.jpg

Close up all you need to do is put the 65 moa circle on the target and you will get a hit.

At distances within 10yards or so you can place the lower part of the circle & hash mark on a target and it is POA-POI.

You can do rough range estimations based on the 65 moa circle, or half the circle @ 32.5 moa.

2zhfqrb.jpg

When we put eotechs on the rifles at work, I saw a lot of marginal shooters become much more confident and accurate at both short and long distance shooting. In close up shooting their times dropped pretty dramatically when compared to what they were doing using irons alone. And it was fairly easy for everyone to go to both eyes open shooting using the eotech.

Yes battery life isn't as long as some others and the original AA models had some issues with how they had designed the contacts. But it doesn't take a lot of time to press a button and turn it on when it is off. And it is more than daylight useable when cranked up.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Try and use all of them. Then make a choice. I made the mistake of buying one and not trying it first. Try to shoot with All of them first. I know that doesn't help in which one to get.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I put on of these on my latest AR purchase and have been able to ping a torso sized target to 300 without much trouble....
    a2f6142a-0380-4914-9afb-79e36e65aa15_zps5f149214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom