• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    OK so I have been carrying now for over a month and I have noticed a couple inconveniences so I want to ask here.

1) I never go anywhere without my gun now. Its like taking shoes.

2) I end up always changing out of sweats into pants that accommodate my IWB. Is there a solution for carrying while wearing sweats or gym shorts? ID rather not use a fanny pack, as I am a younger male and I think they are just an old man's murse.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Dress around the gun.

For shorts, buy some shorts that are at least 1 size larger than what you'd normally wear, that should let you go IWB with ease. A belt might be a good idea as well.

Don't wear sweatpants, so I got no advice there. Same goes for gym shorts.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I've been known to draw a chief special from the front pocket of my sweat shirt. The robbery suspect was upset to find out that I was the Po-Po.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Depending on the weapon either a Thunderwear low riding holster or a Belly Band.

I have a Belly Band and carry my XDS in it. I also have one for an LCP.

Never bought the Thunderwear, but they look interesting. Just not sure about drawing from one.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Depending on the weapon either a Thunderwear low riding holster or a Belly Band.

I have a Belly Band and carry my XDS in it. I also have one for an LCP.

Never bought the Thunderwear, but they look interesting. Just not sure about drawing from one.

I have both and use them with either gym pants (thunderwear) and shorts(belly band) Use the belly band a lot in the summer time with my kimber solo. Switch to the glock 36 when I can wear a jacket.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, while wearing your gym shorts or sweats, where do you carry your keys, wallet and cell phone, etc...?

You can get a simple rei brand, jansport, NON gun specific fanny pack that's small and just carry it. Nobody makes fun of these anymore really. Just carry it by the strap when you go to sit in Starbucks for an hour. :)

Gym shorts or sweats, I'm pretty sure you aren't wearing a button shirt so the 5.11 type compression shirt holsters are out of the question with a t shirt. Same for a shoulder holster under any t shirt.
    Belly bands and thunder wear types are fine if the pistol is small enough (LCP,etc...).
    Good luck with a larger pistol with these methods if you are doing anymore than a short drive to a venue where you'll be upright and walking.
    The people I find who say go with the higher concealable methods are those who don't use those methods everyday. Because they can't/don't carry everyday.

You'll figure your own way out tho. Eventually comfort will win in the end and you'll find you won't carry everyday.
    But it is fun figuring out tho. Enjoy!

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Everyone has to "discover" their carry prefferences, I personally cannot stand the flimsy "universal" pockets that come with bellybands, thunderwear, and concealment shirts and so on. I don't wear sweats anyway, and most of my rigs require a belt, but IMO strong side belt carry is the most comfortable position with large weapons, and the fastest to draw from, so that is where I carry when I can. When it's too hot for a bulky holster, and a thin t-shirt doesn't conceal as well as I'd like, I usually pocket carry a compact, XDs or PM9 in a simple pocket holster, draws fast, and about as comfortable and easy a way to carrya small pistol as there is. Carrying 4:00 IWB I like hybrid holsters, they are the most comfortable for all day carry, stay in position, retain and support the gun best, of course once adjusted and positioned right.

I have a Desantis Intruder and Foxx Little fox holsters that work well. I have been carrying a G30SF in the intruder under a collared shirt, and the PM9 or XDs in a nemesis pocket holster in warm t-shirt weather for years. The G30SF seems more at home in the less bulky little foxx I recently acquired though, and would recommend that setup. My relatively new G20SF benefits from the additional support of the intruder or big foxx hybrid, but needs a jacket to conceal well. Might be a bit less comfortable than my little pocket rig(5+1 of 45ACP is no slouch), but there is no question that beast of a 10mm with 15+1 and a spare mag are really comforting.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    11more months you won't be carrying it everywhere. But enjoy the novelty now :)

Dont understand this.

I like to wear sweats or shorts ot when I forget something at the store for the office. Its easier to throw them on and grab what I need. Do you feel pocket holsters print or are still heavey in your pants. I tried pocket carry once and I felt lkke my pants were falling dwn.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I often wondered about this. Because of a back brace I wear sweats all the time as it doesn't fit well over pants with a belt and I can't get in the pockets with it on. I usually wear a windbreaker to carry wallet, keys etc. I only know 2 people who wear a fanny pack. Most people look at them as being ghey these days, unless you are a Japanese tourist. I always thing they are a give away as well.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dont understand this.

I like to wear sweats or shorts ot when I forget something at the store for the office. Its easier to throw them on and grab what I need. Do you feel pocket holsters print or are still heavey in your pants. I tried pocket carry once and I felt lkke my pants were falling dwn.

What I'm saying is that in a year, you'll get tired of carrying a gun everyday and won't carry it as often.

And the whole printing thing, people worry too much about it. Granted you don't want to carry a 1911 under a tight polyester t shirt. But, people bring more attention to their gun by fiddling with it all the time because they are worried about printing.
    There really is no good carry with sweats or gym shorts. Except maybe an LCP size type pistol not chambered hot, in the pocket. That's the thing about carrying, your life has to mold around the gun. You have to wear what's good for the gun and not you. I.e...you'll get frustrated and not carry with sweats to just run up the store and back.
    Another thing to consider, can you properly retain that weapon while your wearing gym shorts or sweats? Pretty flimsy at best if you're wrestling with someone.
    Throw it in a fanny pack carry it by the straps if you're worried about looking funny. And hopefully it's a larger pistol instead.
    Like others have said, you'll figure out eventually what's best for you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I often wondered about this. Because of a back brace I wear sweats all the time as it doesn't fit well over pants with a belt and I can't get in the pockets with it on. I usually wear a windbreaker to carry wallet, keys etc. I only know 2 people who wear a fanny pack. Most people look at them as being ghey these days, unless you are a Japanese tourist. I always thing they are a give away as well.

5.11, Blackhawk! Or other gun designed fanny packs are ghey. And are a dead giveaway because they are big, usually square, adorned with brand name tags and have the quick access rip straps popping out from the zipper at two sides.
    Like I said earlier, get an REI brand, jansport or any regular one that a pistol will fit into.
    Gun carry is about comfort. because if it isn't comfortable to have, you won't carry it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules to how you should carry. As others have said you will need to find what works for you. You need to find what works for you. For example a belly band or carry t-shirt will not work for me and I refuse to use Thunder Wear.

Concealed carry evolution happens to everyone. (This is the transition I went through over a 2 year period)
    Purchase a large gun (full size with duty style holster)
    Purchase a IWB holster for full size gun
    Purchase a mid size gun and IWB holster
    Purchase a better tuckable IWB holster for the mid sized gun
    Purchase a compact gun and several holsters
    Purchase a sub compact with IWB and Pocket holsters
    Realize that you don't need to carry a gun while visiting a friends house and decide
    to keep it in the car lock box instead.

I now carry a Ruger LCP on a regular basis. I have found that comfort is only second to safety in my choice of carry options. My recent purchase of a Smith & Wesson Shield 40 S&W has given me a new option but I rarely find the need to carry a full size gun now.

I want to add that my go to holster is made by Theis. http://theisholsters.com/

Last edited:
    I wish I had these problems.

The less privileged, honest, and law abiding citizens of this state can not legally defend themselves without threat of jail time, media crusification and permanent loss of a firearms rights.

But hey... lets talk about holsters, shorts, sweatpants and tight shirts, and continue to hope.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I wear sweats around the house all the time, I carry around the house some times none of my family have ever noticed when I'm carrying. I most often carry a compact 1911 either in a belly band or a web belt with a owb holster and a wear a long t shirt. Also on occasion a P64 in an Apache ankle holster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom