Relocated to MD, when can I have my guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    ?

Last edited:

JoshingYu

Jan 5, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I think if you bring them into the state before Oct 1st you are safe. After that the laws are changing. Buy anything you really want from your old state first. Handguns and "Assault rifles" have a 7 days wait and you can only buy one every 30 days. After Oct 1st you will have to get a handgun permit, get fingerprinted and maybe safety training. "Assault rifles" will not be allowed to purchase or transfer after Oct 1st. Right now there area a few exceptions to the wait rule. HBAR ARs, Mini 14s, SIG 716 and 556 do not require a wait right now. HBAR because it has a heavy barrel and the others because they have a gas piston system (I guess it wasn't around when the first set of laws were made) FFLs are a bit weird right now. Some register stuff and some don't. Shop around and ask. Read the forums here and you will get an idea about whats going on with the laws. I am a bit confused myself in many areas.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Its still pre-10/1 law and MD is a voluntary registration state on everything except assault pistols which are banned by name.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think if you bring them into the state before Oct 1st you are safe. After that the laws are changing. Buy anything you really want from your old state first. Handguns and "Assault rifles" have a 7 days wait and you can only buy one every 30 days. After Oct 1st you will have to get a handgun permit, get fingerprinted and maybe safety training. "Assault rifles" will not be allowed to purchase or transfer after Oct 1st. Right now there area a few exceptions to the wait rule. HBAR ARs, Mini 14s, SIG 716 and 556 do not require a wait right now. HBAR because it has a heavy barrel and the others because they have a gas piston system (I guess it wasn't around when the first set of laws were made) FFLs are a bit weird right now. Some register stuff and some don't. Shop around and ask. Read the forums here and you will get an idea about whats going on with the laws. I am a bit confused myself in many areas.

This applies to purchase. The OP isn't purchasing, he's moving his possessions.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    If yes, what are those minimal requirements make me a resident.

If it seems like I am nitpicking, its because I have my own set of laws taking effect soon in my original state. I dont know if I will be there or here (MD) in 5 years but im leaning towards back in my home state.

Thats a whole nother issue though and still need to dig deeper into MD laws taking effect.

The minimal requirement is - your place of residence is here. Basically after getting the apartment and having some sort of utility bill in your name, bingo, you're a resident - switching over the documentation follows the fact but cements it.

As for home state...more information is needed.

I appreciate all the replies and the help offered guys...

What I absolutely need to know is...

Do i need to be a tried and true resident of MD to be able to bring an approved pistol or shotgun into my leased apartment.

If it seems like I am nitpicking, its because I have my own set of laws taking effect soon in my original state. I dont know if I will be there or here (MD) in 5 years but im leaning towards back in my home state.

Thats a whole nother issue though and still need to dig deeper into MD laws taking effect.

A signed lease is the minimal requirement to bring in your firearms and keep them here. The VERY important thing is that they must be in MD before October 1st. I highly recommend getting a MD driver's license before 10/1 as well. You can always legally remove your firearms from MD. However, bringing many types of firearms into MD after 10/1 is a big no-no.
    What is your home state? If it is not NY, NJ or Cook County IL it will be better than MD come 10/1.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    OP- Bring your firearms to Marylandistan tomorrow. Make sure to have a Maryland driver's license by the end of September. After that the MD govt. could try to claim you imported the firearms into MD after the ban (which starts on Oct 1).

Lets not forget he needs to update his change of address with the MVA per law. Not one to play around with as far as tickets.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 406

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I appreciate all the replies and the help offered guys...

What I absolutely need to know is...

Do i need to be a tried and true resident of MD to be able to bring an approved pistol or shotgun into my leased apartment.

No you do not need to be a resident of MD to bring any firearm to MD and keep in your leased apartment. 100's if not 1000's of federal contractors do it every month and there nothing illegal about it.

You are good to go, bring them and enjoy them.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Lets not forget he needs to update his change of address with the MVA per law. Not one to play around with as far as tickets.

Unless you are military, you have 30 days to change over your license and registration.
    The fines are large When you get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom