• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • That's easy for you to say when yours works right out of the box. Why would you research it if you have no issues with it? OK 60/40 happy now? So I guess all the owners over at mossbergowners that have sent their POS Mossberg 930 back for warranty service just have nothing better to do huh?

Mine worked right out of the box. A lot of forums rave about it. 50/50 seems a bit of a stretch.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    That's easy for you to say when yours works right out of the box. Why would you research it if you have no issues with it? OK 60/40 happy now? So I guess all the owners over at mossbergowners that have sent their POS Mossberg 930 back for warranty service just have nothing better to do huh?

I am sorry you had trouble with yours.

I research anything I am spending over $100 on. I don't like paying good money for junk. I would rather spend a bit more and get a good or great quality product.

I think you are doing a disservice to possible purchasers of what is arguably a good quality firearm. Pulling numbers out of your butt may not be as useful as you think. :)

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I purchased a semi-auto shotgun two years ago, a Remington 11-87P. The P is for Police. They're made in a different plant versus the Express line, and made to a much higher standard. They used to be available new for around $800, mine was a surplus Texas Corrections Department shotgun so it was $500. I installed a +4 tube on it, so it holds 8+1 2 3/4" shells and a 22" rifle sighted barrel with screw in chokes. It is flawless using mid to high brass shells, which is pretty much all I'm going to use it for. If I swapped out the new for the old barrel, I could use the low brass shells but the choke is an IC.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    A Remington 1187 is a great looking, reliable, inexpensive American shotgun. A Beretta 390/391 is a little nicer looking, a little more reliable, a little better handling and a little more expensive. Both have spare stocks and barrels available for whatever end use(s) you may have in mind.

I prefer a gas operated semi for its reduction of felt recoil. An inertia action gun (like Benelli, or an A5) doesn't shoot as softly.

FatMuscle

Aug 9, 2010
    La Plata
    I have really been wanting a Kel Tec KSG. Before Dec 2012 they were hard to find and now the price is absurd. I refuse to pay $2k for a $800 gun!
    Thanks for the post, it has given me some food for thought.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    They are expensive but the Benelli M4 gets my vote. Just got one and it is amazing! I was quite surprised to find that I can break clays very easily with it. For hunting, a Beretta Xtrema2 is amazing. Both are 100% reliable. Neither are cheap but well worth saving up for.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    They are expensive but the Benelli M4 gets my vote. Just got one and it is amazing! I was quite surprised to find that I can break clays very easily with it. For hunting, a Beretta Xtrema2 is amazing. Both are 100% reliable. Neither are cheap but well worth saving up for.

The Benelli M4 is on my list of guns wanted after I get what I can just in case they pass SB281. If you like the Benelli M4, you should check out the Benelli Super Black Eagle II for hunting. Been using the Benelli SBE since my 3rd year in law school back in 98. The difference between cleaning it and the Beretta is night and day. Earlier this hunting season I was in a blind on the eastern shore with 3 guys using the Beretta Extrema2. They asked me why a nice Italian boy like me wasn't using a Beretta. Had no idea that Benelli didn't sound Italian enough. They got a laugh from my response.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I guess we have not heard from the OP about what this gun's intended use is (e.g., all around shotgun, home defense, waterfowling, upland game, big game hunting). Very tough to make a recommendation without it, but still fun to talk about shotguns.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have but three words for you:

BENELLI

BENELLI

BENELLI

I'd stake my life on either of my M1s. The only thing they won't do is act graciously with low brass. Other than that, they rock for slaying ducks n deer n geese, smacking steel, or punching paper. Their natural pointing is perfect for any task including HD. I've had occasion to own a couple dozen shotguns and use many more than that including duty guns. There is no comparison. Buy the right gun the first time and you won't look back.
    Shoot straight.

bjump

Feb 24, 2013
    Smithsburg
    Thanks for all the ideas...I too own a mossberg 500...and my goto gun has been a glock 17 for a couple years now...great minds think alike

Feb 28, 2013
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced semi-automatic shotgun...Although I have heard mixed reviews on Mossbergs 900 series, I do prefer American made. Any suggestions?

Well, the term "reasonable" is pretty subjective. At the bottom of the price spectrum you'll find a black synthetic Baikal. Russkie-made, I forget the model number. 150-somethin or other. I seen one at a gun show a couple months back. Felt like a pretty nice gun, tight, fit me good. Fit is important with a shotgun. If a gun is awkward to shoot it will wear you out. If I wanted a semi I would've bought that though.

Then you have the Weatherby SA-08's. Dick's sells those. Don't know much about them but read good stuff.

There's 2 suggestions. Dick's will probably be your best bet to find what your looking for, I think.

bjump

Feb 24, 2013
    Smithsburg

For me 1000$ is reasonable...I refuse to buy a gun with bad reviews. Id rather spend more on a good gun than end up with a untrustworthy piece. How much will an A5 cost me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom