• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    Hey MDShooters!

Im interested in purchasing my first Shotgun this weekend after owning a .40sw Desert "Baby" Eagle aka Jericho 941, and a Daniel Defense DDM4. After a fellow MDShooter and long Friend purchased and Remington 870 and I thought about doing the same.....

Whats your Opinion?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I bought a Mossberg 930 semi auto. It shoots very nicely. All the punch of a 12 gauge, with less recoil than a 20 gauge. It gets great reviews as well.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Benelli supernova tactical!

silo_1004_snova_12_syn_pistol_defense.png

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Remingtons and Mossbergs have vast selections of reasonably priced barrels and stocks. I have become fond of semi's because of reduced recoil and faster follow ups in my old age.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I would recommend the Remington 870. It is what I have. Currently setup for HD, but can also use/switch out to be used for hunting and actually just took it trap and skeet shooting. When it is setup as HD, which it normally is, I have a BlackHawk pistol grip, collapsible stock, and fore-grip. Quite a nice setup if I do say so...

m&p9

Dec 18, 2012
    Salisbury
    I bought a Mossberg 930 semi auto. It shoots very nicely. All the punch of a 12 gauge, with less recoil than a 20 gauge. It gets great reviews as well.

I just picked up my 930 sp last night. any ideas on changing the stock. not many choices looking for a pistol grip like on the 930 SPX

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I just picked up my 930 sp last night. any ideas on changing the stock. not many choices looking for a pistol grip like on the 930 SPX

The problem with Moss semi's is the "buffer tube". As far as I know Choate makes the only stock with a grip on it. That is what I have on my 935. If I get another semi it will be a Rem because you can get folding/adjustable stocks.

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    I would recommend the Remington 870. It is what I have. Currently setup for HD, but can also use/switch out to be used for hunting and actually just took it trap and skeet shooting. When it is setup as HD, which it normally is, I have a BlackHawk pistol grip, collapsible stock, and fore-grip. Quite a nice setup if I do say so...

I seen one in Bass Pro for $350+ and I thought about the 12ga switch out from a HD to Skeet or Hunting. Hows the recoil difference?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I seen one in Bass Pro for $350+ and I thought about the 12ga switch out from a HD to Skeet or Hunting. Hows the recoil difference?

Recoil is a factor of the charge being fired and the weight of the gun. They can take anything from 7/8oz target loads to 2 1/4oz turkey loads that hurt for me to shoot. For the quick change capabilities of the Moss/Rem I can completely reconfigure mine in less than 5min. One of the HD collection is my Moss 935. For HD it has a slug barrel, forend mounted light, 10 round extension. For deer season I take off the extension and light and add a QD mounted scope. For resident goose season I leave the 10 round extension and switch to the shot barrel and remove the light. For migratory birds loose the extension and install the plug. For 3 gun I go with the shot barrel, extension and a red dot on the rail instead of the scope. Including the Choate stock and mag extension and the slug barrel and optics I have about $900 into it. Add about $200 to a Remington 1187 which will be what takes this setup's place when I can afford it.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    more comfortable for me and my wife will use as a home defense gun

Unless she is a professional body builder (lucky you) I would think most women would prefer the stability of shooting from the shoulder. I have seen several women who are great shooters.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Recoil is a factor of the charge being fired and the weight of the gun. They can take anything from 7/8oz target loads to 2 1/4oz turkey loads that hurt for me to shoot. For the quick change capabilities of the Moss/Rem I can completely reconfigure mine in less than 5min. One of the HD collection is my Moss 935. For HD it has a slug barrel, forend mounted light, 10 round extension. For deer season I take off the extension and light and add a QD mounted scope. For resident goose season I leave the 10 round extension and switch to the shot barrel and remove the light. For migratory birds loose the extension and install the plug. For 3 gun I go with the shot barrel, extension and a red dot on the rail instead of the scope. Including the Choate stock and mag extension and the slug barrel and optics I have about $900 into it. Add about $200 to a Remington 1187 which will be what takes this setup's place when I can afford it.

Completely agree that recoil is the size of the load. For me, and I'm a pretty big guy, recoil is no problem. I have gone through well over 100 rounds of 8 shot no problem with both the "tactical" layout, and with the normal layout. :D

m&p9

Dec 18, 2012
    Salisbury
    Unless she is a professional body builder (lucky you) I would think most women would prefer the stability of shooting from the shoulder. I have seen several women who are great shooters.

She has shot both and likes that more so you know what they say. A happy wife is a happy life !!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    cant go wrong with a 870 I bought mine almost 20yrs ago and it still shoots as good as the day I got it...ive shot hundreds of rounds through it...killed quite a few rock dove, and other animals with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom