• More complicated than a Yes/No

Votes: 5 3.4%
    • No opinion

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I know two extremes of horse people in carroll and western howard county, "farmers" and "crazy horse ladies". The farmers are are much more down to earth and usually hunt in proximity to their horses already, or have trusted and vetted hunter do the same. The crazy horse ladies think of their horses as family, refer to them as their babies, super protective, etc. When you mention hunting, even archery, around their babies they picture rambo in a nursery. Any perceived risk of collateral damage is too much, even competently rational people feel this way. Additionally a lot places that do boarding will try to cater to these people with this mindset.

I think the long term solution to the sway general population and the horse people to sunday hunting is to talk about the ticks, mites, and competition for food. I know there is at least one of the internal parasites that can infect both deer and horses. The hunters are the much lower risk of the two. At the same time you need to stress the advantages of hunting over paid sharp shooters. Currently sharp shooters who dump a 1000lbs of meat in a hole every night have a better public image to the progressives then hunters. And they will petition to spend your tax dollars to use them. This needs to change.

As a hunter you need to be as responsible as possible in their eyes and being invisible also helps. On public land never leave a gut pile where the public or dog will find it. Also try not to leave a blood trail from dragging on a path. Finding something like that will stick with an average person for years. Even people that themselves dont care might not want to explain what they found to their kids.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unequivocally Hell Yes. For those that work 10+ hours a day Mon-Fri, and pretty often on Sat, it would be very nice to be able to hunt Sundays. It’s just about the only damn way I can relax any enjoy myself anymore. Make Monday off limits if you have to. It’s unfair that it’s the only licensed outdoor activity that you can’t do on what is typically your day off. Why not ban Sunday fishing?

While we’re at it, open the F-ing County Landfill on Sunday too. Bust my butt all day Sat on projects, or mass cleaning projects, only to miss the dump closing @4pm, having to wait all week until next Sat with a truck full of disgusting junk and trash.

Sorry. Rant over. :o

Oh, I thought you meant open the county landfill for hunting. That’s be nice. I’ve seen quite a few deer at the Howard county landfill.

I get the public land argument, but I see no reason Sunday hunting should be closed on private land. If it is a noise issue, I could maybe see an argument for making it bow hunting only. Maybe.

It would still be nice to have all public lands open at least a few Sundays for hunting, even if it is only half a day or something.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    um.. wait. help me make sure i'm being a good hunter.. we CAN hunt on sunday if on private land.. right??? (assuming seasons etc etc. like not crow because thats wed-sat only)

i see you mentioned public land but... want to make sure theres no issue w/ private land.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've never hunted on public land... scared to because of all the rules/laws and other people.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I hunt my land on Sundays. I refuse to adhere to antisemtic unconstitutional blue laws (our Sabath is saturday) More people need to disregard this crap.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

i see you mentioned public land but... want to make sure theres no issue w/ private land.”

In many counties its also illegal on private land. Go bow call in for monday or check in as sunday legal county. I refuse to let chet and buffy’s hobby dictate what i do on my property.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    There are typically several local delegation bills entered each year to permit Sunday hunting, and usually at least one statewide Sunday hunting bill.

These bills end up in front of House Environment & Taxation and Senate Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs. I cannot speak for all of us that lobby on firearms issues, but I see two issues personally:
    1. There is not a great deal of apparent citizen activism: a) testifying in front of the committee, or b) contacting their legislators to express an opinion. While there is a "Blaze Orange" day on Lawyers Mall, I don't see a significant presence from the hunting community on the bill hearing days.
    2. In the past, some sponsors have expressed a certain amount of trepidation concerning "too many people" or "lobbyists" testifying and turning this into a "gun" issue in front of committees that are chaired by diehard antigun politicos.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    I hunt my land on Sundays. I refuse to adhere to antisemtic unconstitutional blue laws (our Sabath is saturday) More people need to disregard this crap.

Ditto!

The Sunday hunting ban is not supported by either a valid public safety or wildlife management basis. Therefore, there is no compelling reason to comply with it except for the potential for enforcement penalties.

I strictly obey all other hunting rules/restrictions to the letter (ex. licenses, tags, seasons, limits, hours, equipment restrictions, tagging/reporting requirements, etc.) but I get great personal satisfaction in intentionally disobeying an absolutely valueless blue law such as the Sunday Hunting Ban.

At least we are making slow but steady progress in getting them tossed off the books. Only handful of states left to go!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    It should be allowed on private property and at minimum any public lands that have recieved money from pittman robertson. This is a yearly discussion around here. The horse lobby likes to stand in the way and we get shafted by people like kevin plank who runs under armour but also helps fund the horse lobbys push against sunday hunting. Not only do they want to block any new oppurtunities, they want to repeal the existing ones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cap

Jul 25, 2018
    Seems there are many reasons mentioned , a lot of which do not make sense, to prohibit Sunday hunting. When the issue was raised in the past folks would give a "reason" to prohibit hunting based on opinion.
    If we go back far enough I think we will see that Sunday hunting was more of an issue related to religion and Sunday being the day of rest. As the rest of our society does not appear to abide by these traditions then hunters should not be held to a set of values that no one else is held to. Sports events,opening department stores,concerts , etc..., all take place on Sunday , so it would seem Sunday hunting would not be out of the norm.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    There is no rational reason for the Sunday hunting ban. It is the most anti-working-person law I can fathom. And it's particularly burdensome for youth who would like to get into hunting but often have team sports events on Saturdays. As the father of two young sons, I'm really hoping this law will be changed in the next few years so they don't have to choose between hunting and team sports.

Concern --- Answer

My horses! --- Don't hunt horses/run your horses on private land.

Animals Need rest! --- Ever seen hunters out M-Th? Exactly.

Sabbath Day! ---- Are you kidding? Take that up with the golf industry.

# of overall hunting days! --- So shorten season/manage bag limits appropriately (I know this matters for migratory birds in particular)

I want to go hiking! -- There are plenty of places to go hiking that don't allow hunting. How many people actually want to hike WMAs and National Forests on Sundays when it's cold outside?

Almost every state now allows Sunday hunting. Maryland (by county) and Virginia are the exceptions!

Good background info:
    http://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/sunday-hunting-restrictions

dgough

Aug 13, 2018
    Sunday hunting

absolutely! So happy to see every Sunday a hunt day where I am. Should extend to state property as well.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Where in MD is there a shortage of deer? Zone A maybe where they can hunt with rifles?

naw.. rifle season is only 2 weeks long. i hunt deer in carol county. put up a trail camera and a bag of corn on the ground. 1 week later, 140 pictures of deer... there are A LOT out there.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    No good facts available to NOT have Sunday hunting

"Sunday NO hunting" is more an anti-'gun'/'hunt' rule than any other reason. It is hard for 'working' folk to get allowable hunting days and school kids do not get hunting days! Like it used to be 'off first day of season' then you could bring your hunting tools to school parking lot also.
    No valid reason. Plenty of deer or Wildlife management would change number harvested per person per tool.
    Do not hear complaints about hunting Jewish Sabbath. Would it be ok to hunt on Sunday if I wore a burka? (Where do you suppose I could get a florescent orange burka?) Not being anti-religious but why can't I hunt after Church on Sunday?
    Voted yes. Climbing down from ammo can now.

Jun 4, 2018
    Md
    Sunday hunting

I would like to hunt on Sunday I don't watch football anymore. Another day outside would be great.We fish on Sunday's. Let's go hunting on Sunday too.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    It should be allowed on private property and at minimum any public lands that have recieved money from pittman robertson. This is a yearly discussion around here. The horse lobby likes to stand in the way and we get shafted by people like kevin plank who runs under armour but also helps fund the horse lobbys push against sunday hunting. Not only do they want to block any new oppurtunities, they want to repeal the existing ones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It was actually frank boston - ua’s outside tax attorney but id be shocked if plank didnt have some connections to the council. Anyone who hunts and still buys ua is an idiot fudd at this point after the Sara Bowmar incident. Plank’s house construction project ruined hunting at a lease i used to hold off greenspring/garrison for two seasons straight w the 24x7 truck traffic hauling (probably illegally) fill dirt around and dumping at sagamore farm. My septic system is uphill from where he draws the water for his whiskey from there btw. Hope every #2 i take adds a little flavor.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Interesting you bring this up as I was in West Virginia over the weekend and thinking about it. In western NY it is legal to hunt on Sunday and it gives you two days you can hunt. I see no reason why this is not legal, but Maryland has had blue laws since I was a little kid. When I was young, stores were not open on Sundays, but all of that has changed. It is time our hunting laws changed to "keep up with the times".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom