• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    So I'm working on a 10.5" 300 BO with a Seekins adjustable gas block, and as I'm building out the rest of the platform, I'm curious about a couple things.

1) Since I'm using an adjustable GB but intend to use this both suppressed / unsupp'd, should my next consideration in terms of recoil management / wear and tear be the mass of the BCG or should I look more at buffer weight / spring strength?

2) If I was to use any of the flavors of shortened buffer tube setups (PDW stocks or pistol pdw braces), how would that impact point 1 above?

3) If it's going to be like 75/25 split on shooting suppressed / un, should I lean more heavily on the gas block to affect change or would a lightened carrier be more effective at making a smooth recoiling firearm?

As I'm perusing parts, I'm leaning towards a lightweight carrier and normal H1 weight with a stiffer spring if I don't go PDW style, and if I do go PDW style, a full mass carrier with whatever the PDW stock's proprietary spring choice is.

I'd love input from anyone who owns a 300 bo and shoots suppressed and unsuppressed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I'm working on a 10.5" 300 BO with a Seekins adjustable gas block, and as I'm building out the rest of the platform, I'm curious about a couple things.

1) Since I'm using an adjustable GB but intend to use this both suppressed / unsupp'd, should my next consideration in terms of recoil management / wear and tear be the mass of the BCG or should I look more at buffer weight / spring strength?

2) If I was to use any of the flavors of shortened buffer tube setups (PDW stocks or pistol pdw braces), how would that impact point 1 above?

3) If it's going to be like 75/25 split on shooting suppressed / un, should I lean more heavily on the gas block to affect change or would a lightened carrier be more effective at making a smooth recoiling firearm?

As I'm perusing parts, I'm leaning towards a lightweight carrier and normal H1 weight with a stiffer spring if I don't go PDW style, and if I do go PDW style, a full mass carrier with whatever the PDW stock's proprietary spring choice is.

I'd love input from anyone who owns a 300 bo and shoots suppressed and unsuppressed.

1)Use a standard BCG(either full auto-full mass type on the lighter version(one step below). For buffer spring weight, lighter is usually better when it comes to 300 Blk. Most of us use the Tubb AR 15 spring made for 300s
    http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-tubb-parts/ar15-buffer-spring-stainless

2) PDW braces generally have carbine length buffer tubes. No problem using those with the Tubb springs. They work in carbine length as well as A2 length tubes. Go with a standard or H1 buffer. You won't want to go any heavier than that. I would avoid PDWs with proprietary springs. They can be problematic when it comes to 300 blks.

3) That's why you are installing an adjustable gas block. That will govern you gun's shot impulse. There are a few considerations worth noting; Are you developing you own loads? Will you be shooting supersonic as well as subsonic? Eventually, when you decide on your two favorite loads(which is often the case when loading your own ammo), super and sub, you will undoubtedly stick to two different GB settings. That's where a "click adjustable" gas block shines(such as SLR blocks). I'm assuming you are using a barrel with a pistol length gas system. This is the best way to go considering a short barrel length.

Hope this helps. :)

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply. Great info, I just bought the spring and a full mass BCG from Brownells.

I do intend to roll my own for these in the near future, I'm actually picking up some reloading equipment from another MDSer tomorrow night so 300 BO and 223 dies are going to be my first additional purchases. I also have an Odin adjustable Gas block so I might use that one instead. All great info, thank you again.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    You could always build two rifles and if you're on this forum, more than likely you eventually will. You're on the right track, Good luck.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    You could always build two rifles and if you're on this forum, more than likely you eventually will. You're on the right track, Good luck.

Oh I definitely am. The problem is I start too many concurrent builds...I have a polished aluminum AR-15 I'm working on, this 300 BO, a 4.5" barrel AR-9, and a few P80 compacts / subcompacts...need to start finishing stuff before I buy more stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom