• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Hey MDSers, I'm working on a 10.5" AR-15 Pistol using all raw aluminum parts, and hand-polishing everything to as mirror / chrome-like as possible.

That said, even throughout the process I've noticed that unsealed aluminum no-likey being out in open air for too long and was wondering what is the best DIY method for sealing / clear-coating polished aluminum.

This would be mostly a safe queen / deco piece but I do intend to shoot it occasionally so whatever coating would hold up to light use is enough, not going to be a knock-down SHTF rifle by any means.

Any ideas? I've seen a few options but some require a bake / heat treatment in tandem and I'm limited on resources (namely, space / specific equipment).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Seriously don’t do this!!!!!!!

I did this exact same thing with a beretta 92!! In the winter/fall it’s WAY to cold to shoot! In the summer it gets blisteringly hot even after being out for 5 mins! It looks cool but unless your at an indoor range it’s worthless lol. It basically amplified whatever the outside temperature is.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Bare aluminum is self healing so it shouldn't degrade unless the alloy is bad or your environment is corrosive (salt air etc).

Mag wheel polish or any aluminum sealer polish will keep them looking nice. Trick is to get rid of any roughness in the surface before sealing.

I thought about doing a silver and wood AR sometime.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Thanks all; for the clear cerakote, it looks like a spray gun / oven would be necessary. I've heard 250 degrees is enough to cure H-series Cerakote so a small cheapo toaster oven may work, albeit slowly. The lady would murder me in my sleep if I used our oven for this...hesitant to buy a spray gun as well unless someone on here has a space / sprayer I could borrow for $$.

Is there anyone you all could recommend on here / an IP that would intake an entire rifle in bits and clear coat? The muzzle device / barrel wouldn't need it obv, though everything else would.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Thanks all; for the clear cerakote, it looks like a spray gun / oven would be necessary. I've heard 250 degrees is enough to cure H-series Cerakote so a small cheapo toaster oven may work, albeit slowly. The lady would murder me in my sleep if I used our oven for this...hesitant to buy a spray gun as well unless someone on here has a space / sprayer I could borrow for $$.

Is there anyone you all could recommend on here / an IP that would intake an entire rifle in bits and clear coat? The muzzle device / barrel wouldn't need it obv, though everything else would.

Just get a cheap toaster oven and do it outside. You can probably find one on craigslist for 5 bucks.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Cobalt Kinetics sells them :D

Attachments

• 76B5404B-9989-4A20-800A-03B6F10C051C.jpg
      76B5404B-9989-4A20-800A-03B6F10C051C.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 405

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Dear god my eyes!:sad20:

We have a video on our youtube channel from a few years ago at the NRA show where we did a video on the polished gun. Its not for everybody, but the amount of work and detail is pretty amazing.

We finally shot it earlier this year in Las Vegas and it was nice, but not something I would necessarily buy

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Trust me, if I could afford one of their stunning rifles I would buy it in a heartbeat. The price of that comp alone...eesh. But so, so purty. Plus don't they have that magazine drop / bolt drop feature whereupon an empty mag auto drops and a fresh one auto-releases the bolt catch?

Money. I'm gonna have to find a sprayer on the cheap now...

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I’ve built one polished and just left it bare, a little dulling and scratching over time but it hand polishes right back up

Attachments

• EBEBCD6A-860B-4926-89B4-3EBD838D5118.jpg
      EBEBCD6A-860B-4926-89B4-3EBD838D5118.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom